Page 4 of 5<12345>
September 5th, 2017 at 12:02:47 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Nareed
Society is not the government.

Very true.

Quote:
Blacks should not be allowed to attend white schools.
Catholics should not be allowed to run for high office.
Christians should not be allowed to live unless they sacrifice to Caesar.

See the point?

Oh I saw your point and it is a very good one. I agree to the misery caused by many should not's. However I just want to make sure the answer is not to get rid of the should not statements to replace them with an anything goes mentality. I believe the answer is to constantly examine the should not's using reason, logic, and evidence to reform, redefine, or eliminate those statements when needed.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
September 5th, 2017 at 12:22:05 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Can you still see some of the signs from I-15 they use in Vegas? Some of the billboards flash like a camera light. Legal I suppose, but do I really need a camera flash-like light in my eyes while I'm driving?

Those are the kinds of things where I like to draw lines. And some visual pollution is easier to avoid than others. Noise pollution is nearly impossible for anyone to decide not to hear, so I have more problems with that.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 5th, 2017 at 12:42:43 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: FrGamble
Oh I saw your point and it is a very good one. I agree to the misery caused by many should not's. However I just want to make sure the answer is not to get rid of the should not statements to replace them with an anything goes mentality. I believe the answer is to constantly examine the should not's using reason, logic, and evidence to reform, redefine, or eliminate those statements when needed.

In the case of public nudity, the prohibition applies to everyone, not just to nudists. It's true only nudists would be out off by it, but it's evenly applied. The problem is when you designate an area, be it a beach, park or whatever, as exempt from public nudity prohibitions, and then you forbid certain people from indulging in it.

I won't suggest public nudity should be ok (though I wouldn't care if it were). But it should be applied evenly. therefore women should be able to go bare-chested wherever men are allowed the same privilege.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
September 5th, 2017 at 4:40:45 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
How many of you would vote for this law to be adopted?

In all of NYC including tony Manhattan shopping districts and ultra orthodox Jewish areas in Brooklyn, females may freely go topless but not bottomless.

Been the law for the last ten years
September 5th, 2017 at 6:02:54 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
September 5th, 2017 at 7:52:36 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Fleastiff
How many of you would vote for this law to be adopted?

In all of NYC including tony Manhattan shopping districts and ultra orthodox Jewish areas in Brooklyn, females may freely go topless but not bottomless.

Been the law for the last ten years

I would vote an enthusiastic yet. Equal treatment under the law. I highly doubt any women will invoke this right in ultra orthodox Jewish areas in Brooklyn anyway.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
September 5th, 2017 at 8:09:38 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Wizard

I would vote an enthusiastic yet. Equal treatment under the law. I highly doubt any women will invoke this right in ultra orthodox Jewish areas in Brooklyn anyway.

It seems to me that the law is made to require genitals and our distinctive sexual characteristics as males and females to not be on public display. Looked at in this way it is equal treatment under the law. I highly doubt any significant number of women want other women walking around NY or anyplace topless. Just like men shouldn't do the same. I doubt than anyone would argue that a woman's breasts are not sexual. However, if someone was naive enough to contend that topless is okay than why not bottoms as well? Maybe we should just require everyone, male and female, to wear shirts in public, as well as covering their genitals.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
September 5th, 2017 at 8:53:13 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
When I lived in Santa Barbara in the 70's, I had
a gorgeous GF who went to the nude beach
all the time in the summer. I went with her a
lot because I liked seeing her naked. There
were lots of great looking women there,
and real hippo's too. What was funny, every
day at noon, the cliff way above the beach
would be lined with white Tee shirted Latino
men on their lunch break, peering down at all
the naked women. They were at the cemetery,
which was directly above the nude beach.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 6th, 2017 at 5:28:18 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Evenbob
They were at the cemetery,
which was directly above the nude beach.

I thought the nude beach was at More Mesa, which is basically a big vacant lot with running and biking trails.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
September 6th, 2017 at 8:10:15 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: FrGamble
I doubt than anyone would argue that a woman's breasts are not sexual.

They are mammary glands intended to produce milk for feeding infants in their early life. That's the defining characteristic of mammals.

Quote:
However, if someone was naive enough to contend that topless is okay than why not bottoms as well?

We need a blue flag to throw down in the presence of fallacies ;)

I have a good argument for it: Nursing mothers would find it a far less repressive environment.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
Page 4 of 5<12345>