What's the Best State to Live In? (Split from ItNT)

Page 2 of 3<123>
September 6th, 2017 at 6:16:56 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: rxwine
If I lived in your state I'd have to talk about places like Florida to keep from dying from intense boredom. And Winter cold.

Yup
I love Florida
fall, winter and spring weather is perfect
I never played golf till I moved to FL
Now I love being outside and playing small ball
Fl is a golf lovers dream. courses everywhere reasonable priced
Own a kayak and have done many beautiful scenic rivers here
The beaches are great
So many agree with me, been in FL about 14 years and population has increased by millions
Since moving here, I am way way more active outside then I was living up north
Being outside and active is the key to good health

I had a friend move to MI. He hated it, too cold, too boring
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
September 6th, 2017 at 6:56:51 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: terapined
I love Florida

It's ok, if you don't mind it being the wannabe rain capital of the universe.

Quote:
fall, winter and spring weather is perfect

I could have sworn you had two seasons: 1) rainy season, 2) October 10th (on years when it doesn't fall on the rainy season).
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
September 6th, 2017 at 7:45:08 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote: terapined

I had a friend move to MI. He hated it, too cold, too boring

Forbes ranked it as the worst state for retirement. EB retired there. LOL.

Michigan -

A state in the upper U.S. shaped like a mitten. It has sports teams, winter and cars. People make fun of it sometimes.

All that is known or cared about by most.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 6th, 2017 at 11:07:32 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: petroglyph
In Alaska the bugs can be legendary, the mosquito's in June thru August, and the little biting black flies, [white socks] and even some no see'ums. But come Sept, after a good freeze those bugs die off or hibernate, but they are gone until June again. There isn't any native spiders I don't think? No snakes, crocodiles or Scorpions, luv bugs, beetles, ants etc. etc.
I went to Florida for Thanksgiving once and I could hardly believe my eyes. There were so many bugs it seemed like the lawn crawled. The cockroaches were incredible. The bugs never go away! Hateful.
It's different everywhere you go. Here in Az. when people hear I lived in Alaska, I frequently get, " oh, I couldn't stand the cold and the dark". Me, I don't want to be cold, but I don't mind the cold. There's a difference. I was to busy to be concerned about the cold and short days, the 24 hour light in summer kind of made up for that, for me.

When I am up there which I was a few week ago, I often hear about Az, "oh I couldn't stand the heat". Me, I don't like it much over a hundred degrees, but after living in what seemed a rain forest in the PNW and then years on Kodiak island, I really enjoy the sky here which is blue appx. 330 days per year, with 4-7 inches of precip . It seems this year must be going to break some records? It has been over 110 degrees for around two weeks strait. Several days were over 115. Our small pool is 94 degrees all on it's own. 94 degree water, I can't do much in except take a bath. It's not good to exercise in as it raises blood pressure. Just get in and waddle around for awhile and it's exhausting. I can't think of anything good about weather bove 110 degrees to brag about? It is stupid hot. To hot for most bugs, I guess that's something?

Hard for me to believe I ended up in a place that gets this vile hot. 15 years ago if someone said I would live somewhere that gets to 124 in the shade, I would have thought them ignorant . It is starting to cool I think, it's 11 am and only 101.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
September 6th, 2017 at 11:22:14 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: rxwine
Forbes ranked it as the worst state for retirement. .

You know the best states for retirement?
FL and W Virginia. They also rank in the
top 5 worst states to live in. You figure it
out. I don't get the boring part of living
somewhere. I have cable, internet, Walmart,
everywhere I go. How can it be boring.

As far as outdoor activities in MI, we are
surrounded by the great lakes, have world
class ski resorts, and have snowmobile trails
that rival the best in the world. We have more
shoreline than any other state besides Alaska.
With 3300 miles of Great Lakes shoreline, and
11,000 lakes, MI for decades had more registered
boats than any other state. It's 2nd now to Calif,
but not by much.

MI has been a gigantic tourist destination for 125
years, Hemingway even vacationed here as a kid
every year. Boring state that it is, lol.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 6th, 2017 at 11:28:28 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Up here there's a radio show every Thursday called OTF. They scour the most ridiculous in criminal asshattery and leave it to the listener to guess "OTF" for prizes. OTF of course standing for Ohio, Texas, or Florida. Hear the idiot, guess which states they came from. And it's a running joke that, by default, you almost always go with Florida.

Not that that means anything. But yeah, Fla is garbage. I can dig your bugs and reptiles, and I do very much. But I ain't worth a tin s#$% when it feels like I'm breathing through a moist hot towel, and if I wanted to stoke my depression by being jailed inside a building for half the year, I can do that just fine here. At least our weather kills off all the olds and poors =p

Switching topics, wtf is your deal, petro? You can't find a happy middle? Plus or minus, you just need to live somewhere the temp reads 100? You done signed up for Mars, yet?
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
September 6th, 2017 at 11:48:41 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Face
Not that that means anything. But yeah, Fla is garbage.
But I ain't worth a tin s#$% when it feels like I'm breathing through
a moist hot towel

FL is a place where you would put
a penal colony, where 90% of your
punishment is that you're in FL. lol

Notice that 90% of the worst states
to live in are all in the South. And
95% of the best states are in the North,
where we have winters. Right this
minute it's gorgeous outside, 70 and
sunny and no humidity. And everything
is super green and beautiful. When
I moved back from Calif, I couldn't
believe how gorgeous MI was, I had
forgotten.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 6th, 2017 at 12:00:15 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Evenbob
You know the best states for retirement?
FL and W Virginia. They also rank in the
top 5 worst states to live in. You figure it
out. I don't get the boring part of living
somewhere. I have cable, internet, Walmart,
everywhere I go. How can it be boring.

The "Best for Retirement" thing probably comes from lowest taxes, cheapest housing, and some kind of formula over it all. Boring is different things to different folks. People flock to CA, I would never live there by choice. People in downstate NY thought of upstate as Hicksville, though the real Hicksville is on Long Island. I can tell you which I would choose!
The President is a fink.
September 6th, 2017 at 12:26:59 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Evenbob
It's not just the weather in FL that sucks.
It's flat and ugly, with tons of traffic and
fat and old people. And crime, and homeless,
and minorities. You can have it.

Minorities!!!!!!

God forbid EB has to be near a brown person!

LMAO
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
September 6th, 2017 at 12:58:50 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
I know this ain't the Random thread, and my apologies for this, but...

What's a GREAT state to live in?

I (actually) love NY. It is simply gorgeous where I live, here in the canyons and the valleys. You've seen pics; I got it good. I love the ecology, the geology, the smell of the air, the stink of the lake, it has everything I need. Only thing, Standard time and that whole Nov - Feb thing is going to wear me down to the point of suicide eventually. Even if I stopped working outside, got another cushy desk job, exercise, took a vacay, none of it matters. Come February it's a fight to live. And we haven't even got to Dear Leader, the taxes, and all the other garbage.

Fla is god awful. I ain't never experienced this "dry heat" some folks in petro's area talk about, but I ain't got consumption and I don't even wanna try. I don't need to feel 110* to know I ain't about it. I don't like coasts (too many people, scared of the ocean), most of the West is too crunchy (meaning liberal vegan crowd or mountains), the middle part is too flat. What's a good state (or good parallel) to be on where it doesn't get snow measured in leagues and also doesn't melt pavement, that is also liberal with its personal freedoms?

I'm not a traveled man so figured I'd throw it out as the convo is already rolling. Probably Appalachia south of the Mason-Dixon, huh?
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
Page 2 of 3<123>