Greenhouse in the snow

September 6th, 2017 at 3:05:33 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
I first saw this about a week ago and can't get it out of my head.

I am ready to drive 1,200 miles each way to see this setup. Hell, I drove the truck back that far in one shift.

It seems you need to build it against and into a hill. A few tricks for heat banking and power is near free. I can see Yuppies and hipsters paying a premium for local lemons and oranges in the middle of winter. Building it out would be a hoot in itself.
The President is a fink.
September 6th, 2017 at 3:43:00 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
These things have been around for years. A submerged greenhouse (Victorian) half way in the ground is often used. Sometimes its all underground except for the ceiling. Earthships get so h ot they have to open the green house and vent the heat to the exterior.

Davis Homes in Nebraska/Illinois/something builds earth bermed mansions and hold open houses from time to time.

Even the underground home in Fresno, CA had citrus fruits twenty feet underground.

One such greenhouse is in CANADA where the winters are cold and wind swept, they use shades in the summer but are fine in Winter.

Mary Caperton Morton, travel writer that I've quoted a few times, was a professional house sitter and spent two winters in an Earthship in New Mexico's winter without any source of heat at all.

California and British Columbia are full of these places and the crops are not always pot.