Irma News

September 8th, 2017 at 5:44:04 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Nareed
1) Africa was looted out off a significant part of its population to feed the white race's need for slaves.

Between 1525 and 1866 (341 years), in the entire history of the slave trade to the New World, according to the Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade Database, 12.5 million Africans were shipped to the New World. 10.7 million survived the dreaded Middle Passage, disembarking in North America, the Caribbean and South America.

In 1500 the population of Africa was estimated at 86 million and in 1850 at 111 million. So easily in that 341 years well more than a billion children were born.

I don't mean this as an apology for slavery, all I am trying to say is that the phrase "significant portion of the population" means a lot more people than most people think.
September 8th, 2017 at 5:54:28 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: Evenbob
The great thing about hurricanes is we
know they're coming, so we can prepare
for the fun of the looting and the obesity
factor at the shelters. The reporters in
the wind to show they can still stand,
the MSM blaming everything on global
warming every two minutes. If only we'd
given an obscene about of money to
3rd world crap holes, this could have been
avoided.

Entertainment weekend.

You have this all wrong EB. The hurricanes are sent by God to punish us for believing we are stronger than him and causing global warming.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
September 8th, 2017 at 5:58:21 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: kenarman
You have this all wrong EB. The hurricanes are sent by God to punish us for believing we are stronger than him and causing global warming.

Well yeah, of course. I didn't want to
belabor the obvious..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 8th, 2017 at 6:00:51 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Pacomartin
In 1500 the population of Africa was estimated at 86 million and in 1850 at 111 million. So easily in that 341 years well more than a billion children were born..

So 1.3% of the population left as
slaves. 1.3% is not a significant part
of anything.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 8th, 2017 at 6:26:52 PM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
The great thing about hurricanes is we
know they're coming, so we can prepare
for the fun of the looting and the obesity
factor at the shelters......

Yeah, we do now. Interesting to think of all the hurricanes hitting before satellite technology. Think of the loss of life and property 200 years ago when storms hit without that warning. Storm surge to primitive peoples might have led to legends like Noah's Flood.

National news is showing every highway in FL as a parking lot for 450 miles, from Miami to Georgia. Gas stations are closed or running out of gas, so people are just abandoning their cars on the roadside when the tank is empty. Governor is telling people to "get out now!", but how can they when every highway is gridlock and all flights are full/canceled? Cruise ships are dumping passengers in Miami to fend for themselves so the boat itself can sail to safety without them. Shelters are full and turning people away. They're saying winds at the top of skyscrapers will be 220mph. Then Jose is just 4 days behind Irma.

Entertainment weekend indeed. Glad all I have to deal with is forest fires out here in the west. We get ash falling on us like snow, and the sun is bright orange through all the smoke.
September 8th, 2017 at 6:43:29 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
1.3% is not a significant part of anything.

This question of "significant portion of the population" comes up in discussing Malthusian catastrophes. A Malthusian catastrophe is a war, famine, mass suicide, disease that is large enough to control population.

An amazing number of people believe that Malthusian catastrophes are inevitable. They just don't think about how many people you are talking about.

Take the United Republic of Tanzania, one of the world's fastest growing nations. In 2012 there were 1,694,943 births and 555,975 deaths or over a million difference. A Malthusian catastrophe that would stop population growth would involve over a million deaths in this one tiny country.

Now any tragedy of that magnitude would eventually affect birth rates. Most often we would be talking about famine or famine aggravated by war. But in one year you would be talking about 10% of the number of people that were affected by 341 years of the African slave trade.
September 8th, 2017 at 7:06:54 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: zippyboy
Yeah, we do now. Interesting to think of all the hurricanes hitting before satellite technology. .

They have known hurricanes were coming since
the invention of barometers in the mid 1600's.
They are amazingly accurate for the approach
of a big storm. They can't show the path, but
they did give a few days warning to ships
and coastal towns. And before barometers,
there were people very sensitive to changing air
pressure who could many times give plenty
of warning that a big storm was coming.
September 8th, 2017 at 8:03:34 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote: zippyboy

National news is showing every highway in FL as a parking lot for 450 miles, from Miami to Georgia. Gas stations are closed or running out of gas, so people are just abandoning their cars on the roadside when the tank is empty.

Gas stations, even in N. Florida where I live have been short or out of gasoline for 3-4 days now.

One thing they are going to do soon near the main highway here (I-75) is send out buses and let people leave their cars on the side of the road.. Then bring them here to shelters.

(a director probably could use that footage in a movie-- miles of abandoned cars )
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 8th, 2017 at 8:07:30 PM permalink
rxwine
Actually, one of the first things I said a few days back when I first heard the governor say, when they tell you to evacuate, you need to evacuate, is how the *&%^! am I suppose to evacuate when I haven't been able to get gas for 24 hours. I finally did though. Barely used any since.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 8th, 2017 at 8:13:38 PM permalink
rxwine
That reminds me, this is where I gripe about the goldurn!!! over large vehicles and trucks with gas tanks like supertankers using up all the gasoline. Gonna be the death of everyone if there ever needs to be a major US exodus somewhere with all those gas pigs filling up their tanks.