Ken Burns' "Vietnam"

Page 13 of 15« First<101112131415>
September 25th, 2017 at 1:36:51 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
They might do another free broadcast of the series, but more likely it will just be for purchase if you don't catch it soon.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 25th, 2017 at 1:39:44 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: terapined
free
http://www.pbs.org/kenburns/the-vietnam-war/watch/
Those already shown are loaded up to view online
Cannot watch an episode that has not been broadcast yet
Thankyou
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
September 25th, 2017 at 2:44:02 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Overall I would say its a good series but seems not to be demonstrating the "hawk's view" of the war and why all them demonstrators were hippies and commies and whatnot.
September 25th, 2017 at 8:30:20 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: terapined
I think the documentary puts too much emphasis American politics as the reason we stayed in Viet Nam

Just finished part 1. Very well done. It is a tough war to explain and they did a good job of getting us to point of officially entering the war. I didn't know how heavily mixed up we were in the place going back to World War II.

It is impossible to tell the story without the political mood at the time. We were feeling victorious from WWII and at least felt we contained the communist threat in North Korea. We had never lost a war and certainly a small and poor jungle country wouldn't pose a big challenge. Plus we never woke up one day and decided to get in involved but the French did a brilliant job of gradually giving to us the steaming pile of &#%* they caused there and no longer wanted.

I can forgive the bad decisions that led us there but not that we continue to make the same mistakes today.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
September 25th, 2017 at 10:05:23 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: Wizard
I can forgive the bad decisions that led us there but not that we continue to make the same mistakes today.
We no longer use the term dominoe but we seem to still think we are the policeman of the world and that others will share our values.

Israel, Saudi Arabia and Potus attack the world trade center and we go off fighting every PapaDoc and every BabyDoc we can find using American lives, American weapons and American dollars while Israel does not have to mobilize or pay a dime.
September 26th, 2017 at 6:10:44 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Fleastiff
Israel, Saudi Arabia and Potus attack the world trade center ....

What did Israel have to do with it? And just what are you saying about Bush?
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
September 26th, 2017 at 8:09:18 AM permalink
Fleastiff
What did Israel have to do with it? And just what are you saying about Bush?
Billions went to those private armies... all the top security firms are owned by either Saudi Arabia or the Bush family. You think it was an accident they got so much money. three Israeli agents were arrested in West New York, Bush ordered the case dropped.
A mossad asset drugged (and hypnotized) a graduate student in Seattle who had been working on presidential involvement in the attack for months. He became virtually deranged and unable to get a message out. He did log onto the public comments box at WINS but could not force himself to type out a warning message. He could not force himself to contact the former white house official he had cultivated nor the professor with intelligence connections he had cultivated. It was a potent drug. And he was a fool to eat that sandwich.

See that Curmudgeon thread.
September 26th, 2017 at 8:13:09 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
What did Israel have to do with it?

Blood libel is alive and well in the deranged alt-right.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
September 26th, 2017 at 8:33:04 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: Nareed
Blood libel is alive and well in the deranged alt-right.
I wouldn't say I am alt right, Libertarian yes. Just about equally anti Israel and anti Saudi Arabia.
September 26th, 2017 at 11:39:52 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Did the show happen to mention that the Gulf of Tonkin was a false flag?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
Page 13 of 15« First<101112131415>