Ken Burns' "Vietnam"

Page 14 of 15« First<1112131415>
September 26th, 2017 at 12:50:03 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: petroglyph
Did the show happen to mention that the Gulf of Tonkin was a false flag?
Gulf of Tonkin attack was deemed to have probably taken place. It was only later that someone tallied up the torpedo firings and calculated that the North Vietnamese patrol boat had fired more torpedoes than their entire Navy possessed. It was an ill trained sonarman who kept reading his ship's own wake.
September 26th, 2017 at 12:59:15 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Fleastiff
Billions went to those private armies... all the top security firms are owned by either Saudi Arabia or the Bush family. You think it was an accident they got so much money. three Israeli agents were arrested in West New York, Bush ordered the case dropped.
A mossad asset drugged (and hypnotized) a graduate student in Seattle who had been working on presidential involvement in the attack for months. He became virtually deranged and unable to get a message out. He did log onto the public comments box at WINS but could not force himself to type out a warning message. He could not force himself to contact the former white house official he had cultivated nor the professor with intelligence connections he had cultivated. It was a potent drug. And he was a fool to eat that sandwich.

Well, I asked. Gonna let you have the last word on this one. Meanwhile, I will file it under C for Conspiracy Theories.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
September 26th, 2017 at 3:45:57 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: Wizard
Well, I asked. Gonna let you have the last word on this one. Meanwhile, I will file it under C for Conspiracy Theories.

Conspiracy theories??? Don't you realize who the graduate student (and member of the WA State Bar) was? Fleastiff!!!
September 28th, 2017 at 5:04:11 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Last nights episode was perfect timing.
The protests against the war back then while we are discussing protesting in this day and age
Those protestors saved lives.
58k US soldiers killed for nothing.
Without all the protests, that number could easily been over 100k
Who knows, without all the protesting, we might still be there.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
September 28th, 2017 at 5:45:06 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: terapined
Yeah, the weather's better in the desert. A dry heat you know.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
September 29th, 2017 at 7:35:33 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: terapined
The protests against the war back then while we are discussing protesting in this day and age
Those protestors saved lives.
58k US soldiers killed for nothing.
Without all the protests, that number could easily been over 100k

Maybe.

Service in Vietnam was time-limited. this was by design, supposedly to avoid fatigue and long deployments. This had adverse effects of all kinds, like the people most experienced in the theater would leave after their term was up. Also there were not enough troops to cover so much rotation, so the draft took people from their daily lives to fight the war.

While there was no need to do all of the above, protests put up domestic political pressure on the administration to end the war. So it helps, but ti's not the main cause.

BTW, nothing seems to be harder than to end a war your'e not losing but that you can't win.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
September 29th, 2017 at 11:21:12 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Nareed
This had adverse effects of all kinds, like the people most experienced in the theater would leave after their term was up. .

Based on some of the later battles they've shown, about the only advantage the experienced soldiers had, was they already knew there was going to be a good chance they would be killed.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 29th, 2017 at 11:53:47 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: Nareed
BTW, nothing seems to be harder than to end a war your'e not losing but that you can't win.
"not losing".... Two top advisors discussed this not losing notion and it was decided that after all the time and effort expended if things were not better for us then we were indeed losing the war not merely holding our own.

Service was time limited. Yeah, some people reached their time limit on their very first day in country. One guy got captured on his last night in country. It varies. And just too many died because some idiot in Washington, DC wanted Vietnam to be a democracy even though there had never been a democracy in Southeast Asia in all of recorded history.
October 3rd, 2017 at 11:29:53 AM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Quote: JimRockford
I looked up the soundtrack and I was wrong. Burns is too original to use Paint it Black yet again. He went with with Gimmie Shelter (as well as dozens more great selections).

Actually, I was right. Episode 5 closing credits used Paint it Black.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
October 3rd, 2017 at 3:07:57 PM permalink
Fleastiff
I liked the music and a good bit of the information was new to me but mainly it was the quagmire that needed more explaining. How could each president get away with the lies? How could construction workers worry more about college brats than their country's troops? Did Jane Fonda really give the anti war movement information about Hanoi Hilton?
Page 14 of 15« First<1112131415>