shocking anniversary

Page 1 of 3123>
September 19th, 2017 at 9:15:26 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
In an unbelievable coincidence on the 32nd anniversary of the 19 September 1985 magnitude 8.0 earthquake, 73 miles outside of Mexico city Airport, a 7.1 magnitude earthquake hit. As of 14 hours after the earthquake the death toll is put at 248.

This earthquake is much closer to the city than the 1985 earthquake which had an epicenter 230 miles from the Mexico city airport. The 1985 quake caused 412 buildings to collapse and caused another 3,124 to be seriously damaged in the city.

Between Harvey, Irma, Maria, MC earthquake, and N Korea's missile tests the people who are expecting the rapture this Saturday are feeling pretty vindicated.
September 20th, 2017 at 7:44:26 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
In an unbelievable coincidence on the 32nd anniversary of the 19 September 1985 magnitude 8.0 earthquake, 73 miles outside of Mexico city Airport, a 7.1 magnitude earthquake hit. As of 14 hours after the earthquake the death toll is put at 248.

It was pretty bad, but not as bad as it would have been had nothing changed after 1985.

At my house, the worst damage was a crack in one bathroom wall, which seems to be just the plaster. Other than that, nothing worth mentioning. This is in Interlomas, west of Mex City with solid bedrock underneath.

A coworker who lives downtown found his apartment a mess, and the building so damaged structurally it's likely to be condemned and demolished. Downtown areas are built on top of a dried lake, and the underground is soggy ground and mud.

To get an idea of the difference, the latter shakes like jello. It amplifies the movement .

Quote:
Between Harvey, Irma, Maria, MC earthquake, and N Korea's missile tests the people who are expecting the rapture this Saturday are feeling pretty vindicated.

They're still filled with Trump-grade BS.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
September 20th, 2017 at 8:50:28 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Nareed
It was pretty bad, but not as bad as it would have been had nothing changed after 1985. This is in Interlomas, west of Mex City with solid bedrock underneath.

Glad you are OK.

Can you see your home in the photo?

They're still filled with Trump-grade BS.

Do these guys offer a money back guarantee?
September 20th, 2017 at 9:03:15 AM permalink
Nareed
Glad you are OK.

Thanks

Quote:
Can you see your home in the photo?

No. it must be behind some fo the beehives.

Our building has only 28 apartments. By the standards of the area, it qualifies as tiny.

Quote:
Do these guys offer a money back guarantee?

I'd be satisfied if they don't stage a mass suicide.
September 20th, 2017 at 10:25:51 AM permalink
Pacomartin
No. it must be behind some fo the beehives.

Now is Interlomas entirely in Huixquilucan Municipality (242,167 inhabitants at the time of the 2010 Census) ?
Is Interlomas part of Naucalpan de Juárez?

Interlomas seems like more of a "place name" and not an incorporated city.

It looks like all gated communities or apartment buildings.

LOCAL government
Quote: Wikipedia
As of 2016, there were 3,007 counties, 64 parishes, 18 organized boroughs, 11 census areas, 41 independent cities, and the District of Columbia for a total of 3,142 counties and county-equivalents in the United States.
Rarely, but sometimes a city will cross a county boundary. In the case of NYC the city consists of 5 counties (traditionally called boroughs). An incorporated city never crosses a state line, even if the urban conurbation does.

There are 2,438 municipalities in Mexico. So I think of them as county-equivalents. But I get confused below that level. USA has cities, boroughs, towns, and "unincorporated place names", as well as unincorporated areas of the county.

It looks like Naucalpan de Juárez is both a municipio and a city that crosses into Huixquilucan.

Bosque de las Palmas seems to be a "place name" that crosses into the state and DF.
September 20th, 2017 at 11:23:44 AM permalink
Nareed
Now is Interlomas entirely in Huixquilucan Municipality (242,167 inhabitants at the time of the 2010 Census) ?
Is Interlomas part of Naucalpan de Juárez?

No idea.

Quote:
Interlomas seems like more of a "place name" and not an incorporated city.

It's the name of an area.

Quote:
It looks like all gated communities or apartment buildings.

And shopping malls, car dealerships, restaurants and at least one school.

Quote:
There are 2,438 municipalities in Mexico. So I think of them as county-equivalents. But I get confused below that level. USA has cities, boroughs, towns, and "unincorporated place names", as well as unincorporated areas of the county.

I don't have a clue how any of that works down here.

Quote:
It looks like Naucalpan de Juárez is both a municipio and a city that crosses into Huixquilucan.

Not a city. It, and parts of Huixquilucan, Nezahualcoyotl, Tlalnepantla, Atizapan, Cuatitlan, and others are part of Mexico City, even though they are in a separate state and not politically part of the City. I don't give it much thought.

Quote:
Bosque de las Palmas seems to be a "place name" that crosses into the state and DF.

Yeah, it can get confused with Avenida de las Palmas, which is a major thoroughfare in the western part of the actual city, running parallel with a portion of Reforma Avenue.
September 20th, 2017 at 11:47:03 AM permalink
Pacomartin
And shopping malls, car dealerships, restaurants and at least one school.

Well these three shopping places and apartment building all have Interlomas in their name, but only the apartment has Interlomas in the address. Only two have Huixquilucan and two have Naucalpan de Juárez. Two have Bosque de las Palmas in the address.

Interlomas Mall | Address: Boulevard Interlomas No. 5, Centro Urbano San Fernando, 52786 Huixquilucan, Méx., Mexico
Liverpool Interlomas | Address: Vialidad de La Barranca 6, Bosque de las Palmas, 52787 Naucalpan de Juárez, Méx., Mexico
Costco Interlomas | Address: Boulevard Magnocentro 37, Bosque de las Palmas, 52787 Naucalpan de Juárez, CDMX, Mexico
Central Park Interlomas | Address: Vía Magna 6, Interlomas, Huixquilucan, MEX, Mexico

So if someone asked where these shopping centers and apartment building were located, would your first answer be "Interlomas" or would it be something else.

I take it the name "Interlomas" has some cachet.

For instance, McLean VA (where CIA is located) has a lot of cachet to the name, so buildings would post their location as McLean even if Tyson's corner, Pimmit Hills, or Falls church might be a more accurate description of their location.

The word "cachet" was in use in English (from French) for 200 years before it began to mean a "symbol of prestige" (1840). I take it caché does not mean the same thing in Spanish.
September 20th, 2017 at 12:56:07 PM permalink
Nareed
So if someone asked where these shopping centers and apartment building were located, would your first answer be "Interlomas" or would it be something else.

I know them all. They're all in Interlomas.

Quote:
I take it the name "Interlomas" has some cachet.

Not as much as others, though, like Santa Fe or El Pedergal or San Angel.

The thing is there are such thing as fiscal addresses, legal addresses and commercial addresses. Sometimes they're not the same. Liverpool Interlomas (a large department store) is located in a BIG mall called Paseo Interlomas.

Quote:
The word "cachet" was in use in English (from French) for 200 years before it began to mean a "symbol of prestige" (1840). I take it caché does not mean the same thing in Spanish.

I don't know if it's use din Spanish. I thought it meant something like "magazine" in the logistical-military sense. That is, a place in the field where supplies and arms are stored, or the supplies and arms themselves.

Though that might be "cache."
September 20th, 2017 at 1:47:32 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Though that might be "cache."

Yes, the English language borrowed it from French Canadian trappers who used it to refer to a hiding place. The meaning broadened by 1830s to "anything stored in a hiding place." But it is also assumed that the "hiding place" is somewhere convenient, so you can get at the equipment easily. Computer technology refers to electronic chips as a "cache" that are designed to store information from the hard disk that is being used repeatedly, so it is convenient to get to it without having do a disk read each time.

September 21st, 2017 at 7:30:03 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
cache ... to hide, the place where possibles are hidden, the possibles themselves that are contained within the cache.
cachet... prestige, style. In real estate an impressive neighborhood's name often develops a sort of cachet so that the neighborhood's name extends far beyond the actual political or geographical designations of an area. Often the software used in search and rescue operations or in public health infection response operations deals with a wide variety of names for a certain location since people report the places they went to or in which they consumed food in such general and imprecise terms.

In reality, I doubt the earthquakes are other than coincidentally taking place on an anniversary date.
Page 1 of 3123>