CBS's "Salvation": 160 Mars Colonists - Who's on your list?

September 20th, 2017 at 11:40:58 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
With the Earth about to wiped out be a big asteroid, the audience learns that the Elon Musk like billionaire hero of CBS's "Salvation" has been working on an "Ark" that will allow 160 colonists to move to Mars and save the human race.

I haven't watched in a few weeks, but on the show, the small committee making picks was divided about the Ark group needing artists, and not just engineers and intellectuals.

You get to make the list. What are your general thoughts about the make up of the group? Are there specific folks you would invite?
September 20th, 2017 at 1:35:13 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: Ayecarumba
With the Earth about to wiped out be a big asteroid, the audience learns that the Elon Musk like billionaire hero of CBS's "Salvation" has been working on an "Ark" that will allow 160 colonists to move to Mars and save the human race.

I haven't watched in a few weeks, but on the show, the small committee making picks was divided about the Ark group needing artists, and not just engineers and intellectuals.

You get to make the list. What are your general thoughts about the make up of the group? Are there specific folks you would invite?

Me. And 159 women whose names I am keeping secret right now.....
September 20th, 2017 at 1:53:18 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346

1-160) Someone who can modify the ark to deflect the asteroid.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
September 20th, 2017 at 2:35:29 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Quote: SOOPOO
Me. And 159 women whose names I am keeping secret right now.....

Hehe... the LDS guy's vision of heaven.

What happens to the next generation Atilla, when everyone under 20 are half siblings?
September 20th, 2017 at 2:39:49 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Quote: Nareed
1-160) Someone who can modify the ark to deflect the asteroid.

Interesting thought, but a big gamble. If they fail, it is the complete extinction of humanity.

In "When Worlds Collide", they drew lots... I wonder how I would feel about that methodology if the occasion actually arose.
September 20th, 2017 at 3:01:55 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Interesting thought, but a big gamble. If they fail, it is the complete extinction of humanity.

You think 160 people on a planet without life, and with little and hard to obtain water, have a greater chance? Without an active civilization on Earth to supply materiel and more people, I estimate their chances of failure as 100%

To answer your question, I'd go entirely with engineers, technicians and scientists (the latter including physicians), perhaps a few administrators to help keep things running smoothly and maintain order. Zero artists, musicians, writers, etc.

Why? Because there isn't much knowledge required for the arts. Novelists, poets, sculptors, painters of three hundred years ago were as good and proficient as those of today. The best scientists and engineers of that time, not to mention physicians, knew far less about their fields than what is available to college students today.

It's not just knowledge, but the training to apply such knowledge right now.

So first you ensure the survival of the species (which won't happen, so this is all academic), and art will inevitably arise again (but it won't because they won't manage to survive).
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
September 20th, 2017 at 3:15:01 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Where does a show like this have
to go with such a limited storyline.
Not much of anywhere.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 20th, 2017 at 8:29:55 PM permalink
DJTeddyBear
Threads: 5
Bring engineers that can not only build a radio out of a coconut, but can also fix the damn ark if it breaks!
Ignorance is bliss and knowledge is power. But having only some facts can get you into trouble!
September 21st, 2017 at 12:15:03 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Quote: DJTeddyBear
Bring engineers that can not only build a radio out of a coconut, but can also fix the damn ark if it breaks!

Hehe.. But Mary Ann's are important because coconut creme pies provide "quality of life". Ginger Grant's are necessary because... well, because... Mary Ann needs a roommate?