NFL Demonstrations

Page 11 of 14« First<891011121314>
November 27th, 2017 at 6:50:46 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Is This the End of the NFL?

Not a bad op-ed. Not so sure I agree with the NBA rising to take over, but I live in a market that barely knows basketball exists.

I made it thru Thanksgiving and still have yet to watch one play. I should make it the entire year unless the Steelers make the SB and I get roped into having to go to a relative's party. Both unlikely.
The President is a fink.
November 27th, 2017 at 10:23:59 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Evenbob
Best seller list, not.

I'll bet you it makes the best seller list. How much can I bet?

As an author myself, I can say that what sells books is a name. Kaepernick is a name -- and a hard to spell one at that.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
November 27th, 2017 at 10:33:02 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: AZDuffman
Is This the End of the NFL?

I hope so. It is simply ridiculous that it takes about three hours and 15 minutes to play a one hour game. Compare it to soccer, rugby, or hockey where there is almost constant action. Add to that the brain damage the sport causes. I think we've all been spoon fed a love of football by the media because they make so much advertising revenue on the game. For me, the kneeling just ads insult to injury.

I am going to try to not watch or bet on a single game until the playoffs.
November 27th, 2017 at 11:02:49 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Wizard

As an author myself, I can say that what sells books is a name. Kaepernick is a name -- and a hard to spell one at that.

Don't ask me to take the other side of that one. He will sell to the crowd that is supporting him. There is a chance most are not big readers, but I still think it will do decent.

I hope so. It is simply ridiculous that it takes about three hours and 15 minutes to play a one hour game. Compare it to soccer, rugby, or hockey where there is almost constant action. Add to that the brain damage the sport causes. I think we've all been spoon fed a love of football by the media because they make so much advertising revenue on the game. For me, the kneeling just ads insult to injury.

Football was made for TV. Notice that the NFL really took off only when color TV did. Before the late 1960s, baseball was the thing. I think we love it because it just fits for TV. See some action, commercial break, repeat.

I have not watched a play all year. I do not intend to. You need a "no watch buddy" feel free to ask. Since the Steelers signed Vick a few years back, I have no team. Teams to me are now just bets, but I do not have the time to handicap.

A question for you, how well do you think someone could handicap if they just used stats, not watched any games. A few years back I did spreadsheet some stats, though mostly my predictivity only matched the lines.

The President is a fink.
November 27th, 2017 at 11:29:19 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346

Sucker bet. It's not that hard.

Quote:

To get on the NYT Best Seller List, all you need is about 5,000 pre-orders. I think a simple announcement by Kaepernick on social media when pre-orders become available, pretty much guarantees a spot.

To stay on the list for a few weeks, you do need ongoing sales. That's hard.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 27th, 2017 at 1:19:37 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

Why would people who can read
care what some illiterate football
player thinks about anything. The
people who agree with him won't
buy it, they're as literate as he is.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 27th, 2017 at 5:42:11 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73

It will absolutely make the best seller list
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
November 27th, 2017 at 8:30:42 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Evenbob
Why would people who can read
care what some illiterate football
player thinks about anything. The
people who agree with him won't
buy it, they're as literate as he is.

Put your money where your mouth is.
November 27th, 2017 at 8:31:11 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Don't ask me to take the other side of that one. He will sell to the crowd that is supporting him. There is a chance most are not big readers, but I still think it will do decent.

Football was made for TV. Notice that the NFL really took off only when color TV did. Before the late 1960s, baseball was the thing. I think we love it because it just fits for TV. See some action, commercial break, repeat.

I have not watched a play all year. I do not intend to. You need a "no watch buddy" feel free to ask. Since the Steelers signed Vick a few years back, I have no team. Teams to me are now just bets, but I do not have the time to handicap.

A question for you, how well do you think someone could handicap if they just used stats, not watched any games. A few years back I did spreadsheet some stats, though mostly my predictivity only matched the lines.

November 27th, 2017 at 8:34:30 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: AZD

That's a big question. I'm not convinced the NFL can be beaten with just stats. Close, but not all the way. Between just betting underdogs and shopping for the best lines, I think a small advantage can be found.
Page 11 of 14« First<891011121314>