NFL Demonstrations

October 10th, 2017 at 8:41:20 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Member since: Oct 23, 2012
Threads: 197
Posts: 4193
Quote: AZDuffman
On the Mandalay Bay shooting, can you give any kind of on-the-ground report of how things are around Vegas?


Sorry, I didn't see this. I'm going to post a blog entry tomorrow about my thoughts on the matter. However, in general, things here in Vegas are about 95% back to normal. I had lunch with a friend who was at the Flamingo the night of the shooting. Despite the distance, the casino was put on lock down, with hotel guests ordered to their rooms. Nobody was allowed in or out. Nobody seemed to know what was going on.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
October 10th, 2017 at 8:52:24 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Member since: Oct 23, 2012
Threads: 197
Posts: 4193
Regarding the protests, I still say this doesn't make the top 100 issues I care most about about. If I were a player, I'd stand. Making millions a year to play a ball game -- you bet I would be thankful to live in such a country. I'm sure the players kneeling don't deny they are fortunate, but are doing it to make a statement. Okay. I say make the statement on your own time but when you're on company time, do what you're paid to do, and part of that is standing for the Anthem. Don't like it? Then don't play. I'm sure plenty of people would be happy to take the job.

If this helps us to lose interest in football, in favor of another sport, then bring it on. When I was last in Germany people asked why Americans spend over three hours to watch a one hour game. I couldn't give a rational answer, other than "advertising." All other things being equal, I'd prefer to watch soccer or hockey, as the clock rarely stops. Do I? No. I'm just too conditioned to football and that is what I know. I'd give it up in a second if I moved overseas.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
October 10th, 2017 at 9:38:18 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 798
Posts: 9526
Until the broadcast contract ended in 2013, the terrestrial television networks CBS ($3.73B), NBC ($3.6B) and Fox ($4.27B) as well as cable television's ESPN ($8.8B) paid a combined total of US$20.4 billion to broadcast NFL games. From 2014 to 2022, the same networks will pay $39.6 billion for the same broadcast rights for nine years (roughly an average of $4.5 billion per year).

I wonder if this contract has an opt-out that is rarely discussed where a station could give up it's games so that The NFL Network will be forced to pick up the broadcast.


NBA TV contract is the second largest sports contract (ESPN & TNT extended their NBA deal by further 9 years from 2016 to 2025. )(ESPN:$1.4b, TNT $1.2b)
October 11th, 2017 at 2:49:56 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 106
Posts: 7733
Quote: Wizard
When I was last in Germany people asked why Americans spend over three hours to watch a one hour game. I couldn't give a rational answer, other than "advertising." All other things being equal, I'd prefer to watch soccer or hockey, as the clock rarely stops. Do I? No. I'm just too conditioned to football and that is what I know. I'd give it up in a second if I moved overseas.


I was in a hostel once and a game was on. Guy from overseas, I don't know where but probably something Nordic, said. "I'll never understand this game." It was 35-0 or so thus I told him I would have been happy to explain it but on this game it would be impossible. He actually asked, "so this is pretty much over?"

A better game for TV would be hard to invent. Action lasts in 45 second bursts with 30 seconds in between for announce chatter and live commercials. Action can be stopped at-will with no effect on the game for commercials. Football did not dominate in popularity until TV overtook radio as how to watch. Color TV was important, too. My dad once told me how in BW it was very hard to even tell the teams apart. As screens got bigger they added all kinds of graphics.

I would ask, was watching "football" there as social as our game? People chatting it up when the action dies a bit, or were they more engrossed?
The man who damns money has obtained it dishonorably; the man who respects it has earned it
October 11th, 2017 at 3:00:15 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 106
Posts: 7733
Quote: Pacomartin
Until the broadcast contract ended in 2013, the terrestrial television networks CBS ($3.73B), NBC ($3.6B) and Fox ($4.27B) as well as cable television's ESPN ($8.8B) paid a combined total of US$20.4 billion to broadcast NFL games. From 2014 to 2022, the same networks will pay $39.6 billion for the same broadcast rights for nine years (roughly an average of $4.5 billion per year).

I wonder if this contract has an opt-out that is rarely discussed where a station could give up it's games so that The NFL Network will be forced to pick up the broadcast.


I'd doubt it. More likely and important is would there be a clause of guaranteed ratings for the networks? Surely they are already or soon going to have to give "make good" ads for the rating falling.

I am surprised that Goddell has taken this seriously so fast. I have seen many people with way strong reactions. The NFL and media have miscalculated on how people would react. Treated that putting the game on was like putting out the trash on garbage day. Someone will always come to pick it up. The trash bags are now piling up and the NFL noticing the smell. What happens when you let PC dictate how you run things.
The man who damns money has obtained it dishonorably; the man who respects it has earned it
October 11th, 2017 at 3:24:44 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 798
Posts: 9526
Quote: AZDuffman
More likely and important is would there be a clause of guaranteed ratings for the networks? Surely they are already or soon going to have to give "make good" ads for the rating falling.


The NFL does not guarantee ratings. Their product is football, while the TV networks guarantee ratings to the sponsors.
October 11th, 2017 at 3:36:34 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 106
Posts: 7733
Quote: Pacomartin
The NFL does not guarantee ratings. Their product is football, while the TV networks guarantee ratings to the sponsors.


No surprise. I knew the later. I would guess that any case the networks have for damages is weak at best. In a way, ratings declines mid-contract is a double edge sword. Locked in for six more years, but a pattern of decline might mean harder to negotiate next time.
The man who damns money has obtained it dishonorably; the man who respects it has earned it
October 11th, 2017 at 6:50:40 AM permalink
Nareed
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 344
Posts: 12474
Quote: Wizard
I'm sure the players kneeling don't deny they are fortunate, but are doing it to make a statement. Okay. I say make the statement on your own time but when you're on company time, do what you're paid to do, and part of that is standing for the Anthem. Don't like it? Then don't play.


Three's one big, glaring flaw in your analysis.

The NFL is an association made up of team owners. They set all the rules, individually for each team and collectively for the league. Thus far they've made no rule requiring the players to stand for the anthem, not have they warned any players not to do so (except Jerry Jones). What some owners have done, is protest the Orange Twit's criticism of their players (including Jerry Jones).

It's not the right of a failed USFL team owner to dictate policy to the NFL or the NFL team owners, nor is it yours.
If Trump where half as smart as he thinks he is, he'd be twice as smart as he really is.
October 11th, 2017 at 7:08:47 AM permalink
kenarman
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 5
Posts: 1169
There is a rule that says "they should stand at attention". You can certainly argue this does not make it mandatory but the intent is clear. Oh by the way Nareed this is an existing NFL league rule in the "Games Operation Manual". You can debate whether the players should have the right to protest but your post says there is no rule, not true.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
October 11th, 2017 at 8:03:06 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Member since: Oct 23, 2012
Threads: 197
Posts: 4193
Quote: Nareed
The NFL is an association made up of team owners. They set all the rules, individually for each team and collectively for the league. Thus far they've made no rule requiring the players to stand for the anthem, not have they warned any players not to do so (except Jerry Jones). What some owners have done, is protest the Orange Twit's criticism of their players (including Jerry Jones).


That's a fair point. If the team owner said, "Do what you want," then I couldn't argue with it. However, the announcer does say "Please stand for our National Anthem." By not standing it is disrespecting the announcer, the flag, and the whole game. Even if it isn't written down, I think standing for the Anthem is part of the job. It has been that way in every American sport going back at least as far as I can remember.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber