NFL Demonstrations

October 11th, 2017 at 8:50:44 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Wizard
Quote: Nareed
The NFL is an association made up of team owners. They set all the rules, individually for each team and collectively for the league. Thus far they've made no rule requiring the players to stand for the anthem, not have they warned any players not to do so (except Jerry Jones). What some owners have done, is protest the Orange Twit's criticism of their players (including Jerry Jones).

That's a fair point. If the team owner said, "Do what you want," then I couldn't argue with it. However, the announcer does say "Please stand for our National Anthem." By not standing it is disrespecting the announcer, the flag, and the whole game. Even if it isn't written down, I think standing for the Anthem is part of the job. It has been that way in every American sport going back at least as far as I can remember.

Started in 1918 World Series from some quick research. I am not sure if they do this worldwide, but it is done here and that is that. You are correct in the "showing respect" thing. There is a time and place for a protest, that is not it.

What is happening in the media and part of the larger culture is they are upset for Trump dare criticizing blacks for bad behavior. Since at least the 1970s, this is simply not acceptable to the left. Not just in sports, but everywhere. I knew a black guy who would just say, "they're frustrated!" to BLM rioters. Look at Michael Vick and people blaming his "upbringing culture" for running a dog fighting ring. Trump blames "both sides" and they go crazy, even though one side had a permit and the other side attacked. If a shop owner or cop shows suspicion to a group of guys dressed like gang bangers, pants hanging all off them, well the shopkeeper or cop is simply racist.

So Trump dare says to quit acting like asses, stand up, and show some respect. It is similar to a child who has never been disciplined for bad behavior by his mother in public getting a public smack when his dad has had enough of it. Even the mother may come to the kid's defense, but the dad just says, "He needs to learn how to behave himself!"

I know if I did a protest at work that upset the customer my boss would put an end to it. I would not call it discrimination for being Irish, I'd stop and get back to work.
The President is a fink.
October 11th, 2017 at 11:01:25 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Trump was the one who Tweeted on the topic dozens of times. Probably more than on the topic of every hurricane this season combined, I would wager. He was playing the press on this one, knowing they would seize the story and blow it all our of proportion. The players are not put in a position of now wanting to look like they lost in a face off with Trump. This letter by the commissioner I tend to think is a good idea. If the players are forced to stand, then the players can claim that they didn't back down but were just respecting the authority of the owner, thus saving face.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
October 11th, 2017 at 11:47:47 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
The Academy Awards deals with the presumed right of every honoree and presenter to speak his or her mind on-camera. However, at some point it is demeaning to the Academy and the awards show to keep hijacking it for a cause, which may be important in itself, but is not the purpose of the event.
October 11th, 2017 at 1:18:06 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
That's a fair point. If the team owner said, "Do what you want," then I couldn't argue with it. However, the announcer does say "Please stand for our National Anthem." By not standing it is disrespecting the announcer, the flag, and the whole game. Even if it isn't written down, I think standing for the Anthem is part of the job. It has been that way in every American sport going back at least as far as I can remember.

Shooting and killing unarmed, largely black, people without being held accountable for it, is a bit more serious than disrespecting a couple of symbols.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
October 11th, 2017 at 1:21:12 PM permalink
Nareed
Trump was the one who Tweeted on the topic dozens of times. Probably more than on the topic of every hurricane this season combined, I would wager.

That's because no hurricane ever prevented him from buying an NFL team, while the NFL has done so. So America's first Moron president is pissed at the NFL, but not at natural disasters.
October 11th, 2017 at 2:15:12 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Shooting and killing unarmed, largely black, people without being held accountable for it, is a bit more serious than disrespecting a couple of symbols.

I agree. But how is kneeling at a football game helping?
October 11th, 2017 at 2:16:41 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
So America's first Moron president is pissed at the NFL, but not at natural disasters.

I wouldn't be pissed at natural disasters either. They are acts of nature. No use getting angry over things you can't control.
October 11th, 2017 at 2:29:59 PM permalink
Nareed
I wouldn't be pissed at natural disasters either. They are acts of nature. No use getting angry over things you can't control.

I haven't read your piece on the vegas shooting, but I'm willing to bet you didn't spend most of it bashing the 6:5 payoff in Blackjack.
October 11th, 2017 at 2:37:24 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
I haven't read your piece on the vegas shooting, but I'm willing to bet you didn't spend most of it bashing the 6:5 payoff in Blackjack.

Why would I? I don't bash anybody except the shooter himself. Even then, why bash somebody dead?
October 11th, 2017 at 3:09:19 PM permalink
Nareed
Why would I?

You would if you were Trump. Then you'd know nothing is more important than lashing out at people who don't like you.