Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Dalex64

Are you just playing word games to try to equate religion and love,

That's all he knows how to do,
play word games. There is no
reality to a god religion, you
make it up as you go along.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 4th, 2017 at 11:16:12 AM permalink
Evenbob
Holy crap, because we don't have a motive
the conspiracy theorists are going berzerk
out there. Some are calling it another JFK
shooting, more than one shooter and the
police are covering it up.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 4th, 2017 at 11:29:45 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Wizard
However, some people are okay with that fact that we don't have real answers to the big questions and life is the product of just randomness. Most of these people are good people who are kind to others out of a belief in humanism.

I think you mean that some people have faith that the answer to big questions is just randomness. As I've said before this takes a whole lot more faith than I could ever have.

I agree that most people in general are good people who are kind to others. It is either a quirk in the randomness of life or a God given trait that we universally naturally desire and find happiness in being kind to others.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
October 4th, 2017 at 11:33:01 AM permalink
FrGamble

You could also have empathy.

Which you need love for.

Quote:
I also disagree that you need love to be fulfilled, in that only love can bring fulfillment and in that without love you can not be fulfilled.

Why do you disagree with this? Are you fulfilled by anything other than being loved or loving?

Quote:
Are you just playing word games to try to equate religion and love, and to elevate religion to the same perceived reverence that love gets?

Nope, as my faith teaches; "God is love." (1 John 4:8)
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
October 4th, 2017 at 11:35:20 AM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Nareed

2) Proforma: if you knew what this piece of shit in human form was about to do, would you have stopped him? Why didn't your gods do so?

I would have stopped him for sure. I wish I knew why God or the angels didn't stop him? What would have gone against his free will if the gun would have jammed or misfired?
October 4th, 2017 at 11:45:11 AM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: FrGamble

Yeah, that's what the Jews being tortured
in the Inquisitions felt, and the witches
burned at the stake. Your churches
wonderful hideous love. Your religion
makes me sick to my stomach.
October 4th, 2017 at 12:19:27 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Which you need love for.

Why do you disagree with this? Are you fulfilled by anything other than being loved or loving?

Now you are starting to move the goalposts around, and you are also using a circular logic with the claim that because your religious book claims your religion is love therefore your religion is love.

you don't need religion to love or be loved, and you don't need love to fulfill or be fulfilling. That is, without equating the terms religion, fulfillment, and love, in which case you are just back to playing connect-the-dots with word games.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
October 4th, 2017 at 12:27:15 PM permalink
Evenbob
Now you are starting to move the goalposts around, and you are also using a circular logic

I don't know if it comes naturally or
is taught in seminary. But this drives
me nuts talking to FrG, he changes
his story faster than a teenager caught
shoplifting. Sometimes you can box
him in and he'll admit to it, but most
of the time he's Wiley Coyote, slipperier
than an eel, and a master of double
speak.
October 4th, 2017 at 12:32:58 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22

I was fulfilled when I shot a 75 on a real golf course (I'm usually a high 80's player). I think 'fulfilled' is an excellent word to describe how I felt. The love I feel towards friends and family is another source of fulfillment. But certainly not the only one. I think you have to re-think this one, Padre.
October 4th, 2017 at 12:33:51 PM permalink
FrGamble
Now you are starting to move the goalposts around, and you are also using a circular logic with the claim that because your religious book claims your religion is love therefore your religion is love.

you don't need religion to love or be loved, and you don't need love to fulfill or be fulfilling. That is, without equating the terms religion, fulfillment, and love, in which case you are just back to playing connect-the-dots with word games.

Okay, let's just leave religion out of it all together.

I maintain that as human beings we need love and the only way to stop these types of evil events is to love each other more. This is what I am committing myself to in the wake of this massacre and how I am trying to deal with it. I want to love others more and help them in any way I can to love each other. That and contacting my congressmen and women to ban semi-automatic rifles with magazines.