Massacre in Las Vegas

October 4th, 2017 at 12:39:44 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: SOOPOO
I was fulfilled when I shot a 75 on a real golf course (I'm usually a high 80's player). I think 'fulfilled' is an excellent word to describe how I felt. The love I feel towards friends and family is another source of fulfillment. But certainly not the only one. I think you have to re-think this one, Padre.

I imagine you would say that the love you receive from and feel towards family and friends is a higher, deeper, and greater sense of fulfillment. In fact I imagine the fulfillment you felt with shooting the 75 (congrats by the way) was partly due to being able to share that accomplishment with friends and family. Playing golf by yourself with no one to share your successes or stories with would hardly be so fulfilling.

One day a priest skips the Sunday Mass to go play golf. He just told everyone he was sick. He tees off on the first hole and makes the best drive of his life and birdies the hole. The next hole he hits a hole-in-one. St. Peter asks God what is going on, "Why are you letting him have the best round of his life?!?" Jesus responds, "Who is he going to tell?"
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
October 4th, 2017 at 12:40:37 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
I want to love others more and help them in any way I can to love each other..

So you blocked me out of 'love'? LOLOLOL

Look up the word hypocrite and get back
to me. Wait, I'll do it for you:

Definition of hypocrite
1 :a person who puts on a false appearance of virtue or religion
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 4th, 2017 at 1:04:30 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I would have stopped him for sure. I wish I knew why God or the angels didn't stop him? What would have gone against his free will if the gun would have jammed or misfired?

I should have gone with "don't proselytize this tragedy."
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
October 4th, 2017 at 1:23:46 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I would have stopped him for sure. I wish I knew why God or the angels didn't stop him?

What stopped god and the angels is
the same thing that stops Santa from
coming down your chimney every
year. He doesn't exist and neither does
god or angels.

It's right in front of you and you'll never
get it.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 4th, 2017 at 2:06:22 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Nareed
I should have gone with "don't proselytize this tragedy."

Right back at you.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
October 4th, 2017 at 3:18:28 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: petroglyph

"Diazepam – better known by its brand name, Valium – is a sedative and muscle relaxer in the class of drugs known as benzodiazepines, which studies have shown can cause aggressive behavior in some patients. Chronic use has also been linked to psychotic episodes."
As good a reason as any and better than many others.

Maybe he expected too much from the pill or he went cold turkey?
October 4th, 2017 at 10:42:37 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Wizard
I think we can agree on this. However, the way I would phrase it is many people are comforted with the belief there is a kind man in the sky who loves you and you can spend forever with him after you die. What isn't to like?

I am not sure Judaism views God quite like that. They think of him more as all powerful, and the source of both good and bad. That's why Satan has such a diminished role in the Old Testament, and he is more of an employee of God fulfilling the role as the attorney on the opposite side of the case (who you may view as an adversary, but is not necessarily an evil person).
October 5th, 2017 at 2:57:50 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Religious types may ponder such issues as good and evil after events like this but I think most people stay focused on specific motivation which in this case may never be known.

I remember the line from Man in the Moon Marigolds about "I'm mad at the whole world" as a response to hopeless poverty and lack of coping skills. I just wonder how "I'm mad at the whole world" exists in someone with wealth, math skills and comped luxury suites at Mandalay Bay.

Ballistics question: How small and light a weapon would have been suitable for someone on the ground to fire at the muzzle flashes effectively if not utterly successfully? Would a scope sight have been needed?
October 5th, 2017 at 11:54:45 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote: Fleastiff
Ballistics question: How small and light a weapon would have been suitable for someone on the ground to fire at the muzzle flashes effectively if not utterly successfully? Would a scope sight have been needed?

I don't know, but you can read all about people firing at Charles Whitman from the ground in this account. (Texas tower shooter)

https://www.texasmonthly.com/articles/96-minutes/
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 5th, 2017 at 4:47:28 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: Fleastiff
...Ballistics question: How small and light a weapon would have been suitable for someone on the ground to fire at the muzzle flashes effectively if not utterly successfully? Would a scope sight have been needed?

A .22 rimfire can travel 1.5 miles, but not very accurately. You run the risk of killing innocent people in adjoining rooms/floors.

If properly trained, iron sights would do. A scope would not have been needed, and at night probably would not be very effective anyway.