Gun Control -- As usual discussed only after a massacre.

Poll
2 votes (20%)
1 vote (10%)
No votes (0%)
3 votes (30%)
No votes (0%)
1 vote (10%)
7 votes (70%)
1 vote (10%)
No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)

10 members have voted

October 4th, 2017 at 3:02:05 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: terapined
No mass shootings in Australia since the ban
Gun ban laws work

Maybe you should move to Oz then if you like the idea?

Just for clarification, guns are basically banned in Chicago, so there should be no gun deaths there, right?
The President is a fink.
October 4th, 2017 at 3:10:28 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Do I need a permit to carry a .50 caliber machine gun? How about an AK-47?
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
October 4th, 2017 at 3:27:13 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Nareed
Do Mexican gun laws prevent cartels from having automatic weapons?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
October 4th, 2017 at 3:33:15 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Federal and local governments that haven't been bought and paid for prevent cartels from having automatic weapons. However, they aren't winning.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
October 4th, 2017 at 3:46:51 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: AZDuffman

Just for clarification, guns are basically banned in Chicago, so there should be no gun deaths there, right?

Better question is what are gun laws where most of the guns were purchased.

If the gun laws were strict then tough laws don't work, but it's not the case.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 4th, 2017 at 3:47:00 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: petroglyph
Do Mexican gun laws prevent cartels from having automatic weapons?

Of course they have! Mexico is just a peaceful, gun-free paradise!
The President is a fink.
October 4th, 2017 at 4:07:33 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
It is time for me to make up my mind on this issue and there are many knowledgeable and passionate people on both sides so I think with your help I can hammer out my own opinion.
Here is the lump of molten metal I am beginning with:

Any type of rifle that fires a bullet as quickly as you pull the trigger is not needed in hunting or in target practice. Therefore I believe all rifles should require some action, like a bolt action or lever pump, in between shots and have a magazine capacity of no more than 5 rounds.

Hammer away.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
October 4th, 2017 at 4:08:44 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
It is rumored Mexico turned down the offer of Germany in WWI to start a second War of Mexican Aggression because they knew how many armed citizens there were here, able to pick off any occupation force.

It is true that Germany tried to encourage Mexico to start a second front with the USA

But the U-boats sank two Mexican tankers with some loss of life which persuaded Mexico to declare war on Germany.

SS Potrero del Llano torpedoed and sunk on 14 May 1942 by Reinhard Suhren's U-564 (13 fatalities, 22 survivors)
SS Faja de Oro torpedoed and sunk on 21 May 1942 by Kapitänleutnant Hermann Rasch, U-106 (10 fatalities, 27 survivors)
Mexico declared war on Germany on 1 June 1942.
October 4th, 2017 at 4:30:46 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: Nareed

I don't know Mejican law, but in the US, "it depends".

For a .50cal machine gun you need a Class III license. I won't bore you, but when all is said and done, you've a low chance of being granted it and will spend $20k - $60k before you have that weapon in your hand legally.

An "AK" is a bit confusing, as both the Russian military version, every European military version, and every civilian neutered version are all referred to as "AK's" colloquially here. Any military issue, select fire (col.- "machine gun") version requires the same process as the .50cal above, only difference being the gun and ammo are much cheaper. If the neutered civ version, those only come in semi-auto. In some free states, you could just buy one, sans permit, subject only to accessory restrictions imposed by the state. In others, you have to register. In others, they're not allowed at all.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
October 4th, 2017 at 4:47:26 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Of course they have! Mexico is just a peaceful, gun-free paradise!
I wonder how many more people have been shot because of Obama/Holders "Fast and Furious" gun running into Mexico? http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/jun/7/eric-holder-slammed-fast-and-furious-obstruction/
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW