How To Survive: An elevated shooter if you are in an outdoor crowd

Page 3 of 4<1234>
October 4th, 2017 at 9:07:59 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Ayecarumba
In Las Vegas, were any of the victims trampled? In the bit of the press conference with the Coroner I caught yesterday, he was not prepared to confirm c.o.d. for anyone.

No idea. I do know from being in a few crowds that to go against the grain is bad, to stand still perhaps even worse since it is easier to get knocked down. And those are just normal crowds, not a shooter situation. Now, I hate and avoid crowds as much as possible. But I do know there is a psychology of crowds, how people act in them is different than how they act alone or in a small group. I also know many people freeze up, not wanting to do anything, not move. Others do not know the difference between gunfire and say fireworks. One needs to be aware and informed.
The President is a fink.
October 4th, 2017 at 9:35:50 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: AZDuffman
No idea. I do know from being in a few crowds that to go against the grain is bad, to stand still perhaps even worse since it is easier to get knocked down. And those are just normal crowds, not a shooter situation. Now, I hate and avoid crowds as much as possible. But I do know there is a psychology of crowds, how people act in them is different than how they act alone or in a small group. I also know many people freeze up, not wanting to do anything, not move. Others do not know the difference between gunfire and say fireworks. One needs to be aware and informed.

Watching some of the recently released bodycam footage, it is clear that even trained professionals on the ground were not able to quickly locate the source of the gunfire.

If not for the Mandalay Bay security guard who called in the precise location of the shooter after being shot through the door, the shooting out the windows could have gone on for much longer. Instead, the shooter was put on the defensive as police swarmed the hallway.

I wonder who leaked the photo of the room with the uncovered body and weapons strewn about?
October 4th, 2017 at 10:32:34 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Watching some of the recently released bodycam footage, it is clear that even trained professionals on the ground were not able to quickly locate the source of the gunfire.

Locating the source is hard, and really if you are in the crowd no need to, just get the eff out. But it is good to know what gunfire sounds like and be aware.
The President is a fink.
October 4th, 2017 at 1:06:09 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: kenarman

Thanks for the explanation Face. I think I almost understand it now. Still amazed that you could tell what it was from a few seconds of audio.

You're welcome. Since you're almost there, one lil push and then you'll get it completely...

This is a bump stock. You see how the trigger is covered? It's covered because the stock is completely compressed; the gun basically "slides" into it. If it were fully extended, the entire trigger area would be exposed, just like any regular rifle.

You see how the grip continues up and covers the trigger? This is the "fake" trigger. You grip the gun like normal, placing your finger on this fake trigger. If you did so while the gun is oriented like the pic, this is your "ready" position. Holding that hand/arm stiff, you'd use your off hand, the one up the barrel, to pull the gun forward, essentially pulling the gun "out of" the stock. You see how with your trigger on the "fake trigger", that pulling the gun forward would cause the real trigger to come in contact with your finger? That's how it fires. Recoil pushes it back to the pictured position in an instant, and your constant forward pull hits the trigger again.

Ah, f#$% it. I suppose I'm already on every watch list that exists. Here's mine. If you focus on the trigger (especially after the 2rd burst), you can see the stock sliding in and out, and it should finally "click" as to how these things work.

All you do is pull forward with your off hand. Brrrrrt.

And I thank you for the compliment, but as much as I'd like to profess wizardry, it's simple familiarity. Not unlike how a fella can diagnose a burnt up exhaust manifold gasket in a neighboring car while in his own car at a red light. I'm just happy to spread real information.

As an aside, because I just can't resist... people wasted no time clamoring how insane these bump stocks are and how they just Can Not Believe how they're legal. I'm sure there's already folks s#$%ting their pants, running as fast as they can to just do something. So I'm here for my typical dispensation of reality. Come and take my stock. Deem it "military", "unsafe", whatever the f#$% floats your boat. Guess what? With a $1 hacksaw blade and an 18v Black and Decker screw gun, I can make a "machine gun" all over again. No parts, no building, no machining, no fabrication. Gimme a manual grinder, or an electric R/C car, or one of those egg beaters with a crank gear, or a bicycle, a box fan, any one of those and either a hacksaw blade, wire cutter, or hammer, and I could be brrrrrt'ing before the feds even leave my driveway. If I had to run about the house to find supplies, my wee Viper .22 sitting behind me can perform a full auto function, if I really hurry, in roughly 40 seconds.

Bannings are bulls#$% by every measurable metric, unless you consider the War on Drugs a rousing success. Please stop it.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
October 4th, 2017 at 1:25:55 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I saw an expert on TV that said bump stocks
usually jam after 20-30 rounds and have to
re-start. This guy was firing 80 rounds with
no pauses.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 4th, 2017 at 1:27:54 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
If you have to go through the work to do it yourself, go for it.

It is too convenient to buy a slip-on addition, which can be un-done just by slipping it off.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
October 4th, 2017 at 4:55:29 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
In Las Vegas, were any of the victims trampled? In the bit of the press conference with the Coroner I caught yesterday, he was not prepared to confirm c.o.d. for anyone.

I'm certain that a large percentage of the injured were trampled or even had heart attacks. They may not release any statistics for c.o.d.
October 4th, 2017 at 5:33:09 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: Face
You're welcome. Since you're almost there, one lil push and then you'll get it completely...

This is a bump stock. You see how the trigger is covered? It's covered because the stock is completely compressed; the gun basically "slides" into it. If it were fully extended, the entire trigger area would be exposed, just like any regular rifle.

You see how the grip continues up and covers the trigger? This is the "fake" trigger. You grip the gun like normal, placing your finger on this fake trigger. If you did so while the gun is oriented like the pic, this is your "ready" position. Holding that hand/arm stiff, you'd use your off hand, the one up the barrel, to pull the gun forward, essentially pulling the gun "out of" the stock. You see how with your trigger on the "fake trigger", that pulling the gun forward would cause the real trigger to come in contact with your finger? That's how it fires. Recoil pushes it back to the pictured position in an instant, and your constant forward pull hits the trigger again.

Ah, f#$% it. I suppose I'm already on every watch list that exists. Here's mine. If you focus on the trigger (especially after the 2rd burst), you can see the stock sliding in and out, and it should finally "click" as to how these things work.

All you do is pull forward with your off hand. Brrrrrt.

And I thank you for the compliment, but as much as I'd like to profess wizardry, it's simple familiarity. Not unlike how a fella can diagnose a burnt up exhaust manifold gasket in a neighboring car while in his own car at a red light. I'm just happy to spread real information.

As an aside, because I just can't resist... people wasted no time clamoring how insane these bump stocks are and how they just Can Not Believe how they're legal. I'm sure there's already folks s#$%ting their pants, running as fast as they can to just do something. So I'm here for my typical dispensation of reality. Come and take my stock. Deem it "military", "unsafe", whatever the f#$% floats your boat. Guess what? With a $1 hacksaw blade and an 18v Black and Decker screw gun, I can make a "machine gun" all over again. No parts, no building, no machining, no fabrication. Gimme a manual grinder, or an electric R/C car, or one of those egg beaters with a crank gear, or a bicycle, a box fan, any one of those and either a hacksaw blade, wire cutter, or hammer, and I could be brrrrrt'ing before the feds even leave my driveway. If I had to run about the house to find supplies, my wee Viper .22 sitting behind me can perform a full auto function, if I really hurry, in roughly 40 seconds.

Bannings are bulls#$% by every measurable metric, unless you consider the War on Drugs a rousing success. Please stop it.

Thanks Face another post full of real information. You better be careful you might have to ban yourself for being to honest for this site.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
October 5th, 2017 at 3:03:24 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
You see flashes from an elevated position 500 yards south west from you.
You shoot back.
October 5th, 2017 at 3:07:36 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
If not for the Mandalay Bay security guard who called in the precise location of the shooter after being shot through the door, the shooting out the windows could have gone on for much longer. Instead, the shooter was put on the defensive as police swarmed the hallway.
More details please. (If available, if not just do as fleastiff supposedly does and make them up).
Page 3 of 4<1234>