No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
1 vote (33.33%)

3 members have voted

October 7th, 2017 at 12:04:04 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I friend of mine knows I'm a big fan of the big five Stanley Kubrick movies (everything after Barry Lyndon) and suggested I see Room 237. Said movie was pretty much three interpretations of what the movie was about, namely:

1. The holocaust
2. The treatment of American Indians
3. The (allegedly) faked moon landing footage

I felt all three were a stretch. Kubrick may have been messing with the public by putting red herrings into the movie to give conspiracy theorists something to cling to. Nevertheless, I found it interesting how devoted fans of the movie created maps and models of the Overlook and explained how in placed it didn't make sense. Like how there never should have been a window in the manager's office. It included a lot of footage from Kubrick's other movies that were allegedly nods to the Shining (especially outside the jazz bar in Eyes Wide Shut).

What do you think it was about? Multiple votes allowed.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
October 7th, 2017 at 2:42:24 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
I watched Room 237 on Netflix a while back. All the theories felt like a major stretch to me.

So I voted for Kubrick fans are always overthinking his movies.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
October 7th, 2017 at 2:55:29 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: ams288
I watched Room 237 on Netflix a while back. All the theories felt like a major stretch to me.

I thought the theory that Kubrick was hired to fake the moon landing footage was the most compelling of the three, which isn't saying much. Most of the argument was that Danny was wearing a sweater with the Apollo capsule and rocket in one scene. Something else about a back screen but it got too technical for me.
October 7th, 2017 at 3:07:47 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
This reminds me of the Beatles
Their fans saw all kinds of deep hidden meanings in the music and lyrics.
When John Lennon was told this he laughed. "I just shove some sounds together then shove some words on top"
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
October 7th, 2017 at 3:30:10 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I have Barry Lyndon on DVD, one of
my all time favorites. Seen it a dozen
times.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 7th, 2017 at 4:23:57 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Evenbob
my all time favorites. Seen it a dozen
times.

I have it on DVD too. It took me about 20 sittings to get through it. Very slow. However, Kubrick movies are usually disliked on the first viewing but after you get past it, you enjoy watching it over and over. I just haven't got past the boredom phase of Barry Lyndon.
October 7th, 2017 at 4:44:55 PM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
Quote: Evenbob
my all time favorites. Seen it a dozen times.

Favorite of mine too. Excellent soundtrack. I particularly enjoyed the escalating verbal fight between the Mother and Reverend Runt after the boy died. Started out so quiet and diplomatic, but by the end she rolling her "R"s and spittle flying out her mouth. Couldn't find it on youtube just now.
October 7th, 2017 at 5:49:35 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Wizard
I just haven't got past the boredom phase of Barry Lyndon.

I can't imagine any part of it being
boring. It's an almost perfect movie.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 7th, 2017 at 11:18:16 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Sorry folks, don't know nuttin' 'bout no room 243 and never met anyone named Barry Lyndon, but if movie goers can't figure out what the movie relates to then why should I go see it. After all the three choices seem rather dissimilar.

Was it Kubrick who did A clockwork orange? I never did understand that movie though I never really saw anything wrong with it. It was just long and boring.
October 8th, 2017 at 4:21:17 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Based on the satire 1/3 of an ep done on The Simpsons, which is all I've seen related to this film, it's about Groundskeeper Willy's inability to see the obvious.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
Page 1 of 212>