Will God Survive Science

Page 2 of 20<12345>Last »
October 14th, 2017 at 1:04:41 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: rxwine
https://youtu.be/quY0mRlL5FQ?t=89
What did she do to deserve that? Something unnatural?

Why so many scenes of hell, and not many of how great heaven is supposed to be? Are we supposed to live our whole lives in fear?
If this going to hell thing were real, there is no way of averting it .
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
October 14th, 2017 at 2:55:26 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: rxwine
https://youtu.be/quY0mRlL5FQ?t=89

This is how 'loving' Xtions have scared
people into obedience for a thousand
years. The Jews don't believe in hell,
Xtions invented it to scare the ignorant.
Jesus loved talking about rich people
going to hell, it sounds like he had
some envy problems to me. lol
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 14th, 2017 at 4:24:01 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: petroglyph

Is that all you have to do?

What happens to those that don't make the cut? Is Catholicism a religion where if people don't do something right, they end up in some firey hell forever?

Is heaven open to people who aren't Catholic?

Heaven is open to anyone.

If you don't do something right and you hurt others and yourself through selfish desires than yes there is a punishment.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
October 14th, 2017 at 4:39:38 PM permalink
petroglyph
Quote: FrGamble
Heaven is open to anyone.

If you don't do something right and you hurt others and yourself through selfish desires than yes there is a punishment.
If you know your going to hell anyway, why stop robbing banks?
October 14th, 2017 at 5:01:32 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: petroglyph
If you know your going to hell anyway, why stop robbing banks?

God is merciful and forgiving, don't count yourself out yet. Repent and turn away from doing wrong.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
October 14th, 2017 at 5:21:11 PM permalink
Evenbob

Just like your real daddy used to
do. You grow up and get another
daddy in heaven. Did a child invent
this? No, it was ignorant people
who thought like children.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 14th, 2017 at 5:31:23 PM permalink
petroglyph
God is merciful and forgiving, don't count yourself out yet. Repent and turn away from doing wrong.
IDK, if we are talking about me? But if we are. I prayed nearly every day and close to every meal for 35+ years, had a relationship "if you will", with a "higher power". Then God just disappeared? A few weeks or months went by and I asked myself a few times, what happened, where did God go?

And that was in a pretty crappy time in my life to, where God might have been pretty handy to have around. Then he came back for awhile, but not as before, and then it was like, talked about here in a skit, by comedian Bill Burr. Where he says, "I just let go" nsfw start at 1;16

If God were real, and I was going to be judged on my personal good versus evil, I would be really ok with that. I have done a lot more good than bad in my life, and was the bad, bad, evil, or a mix of mistakes and mischief?

But not knowing, I am thinking that you or your church or other xtions would say, just doing good your whole life isn't good enough. I got to do good, and I got to do it your way and think and believe what you do to get to your eternal peace. And I don't. I just can't make myself believe like the many church people I have talked with over the years. If we talk about it enough, we get to the IDK part of their answers. So if they don't know, why are they trying to convince me of something they don't know?

I don't envy you having to defend the church's position on everything, that is not enviable at all. And I doubt that you personally are in total agreement. I don't know how you can deal with the cognitive dissonance of having to outwardly always testify to one set of beliefs [defending the church] , but when alone in the deepest recesses of your mind, you question some of it yourself? That has got to be painful.
October 14th, 2017 at 7:25:44 PM permalink
FrGamble
Petro, i reckon we all share the pain of questioning the things we most deeply love and are committed to. Whether it is your vocation, marriage, relationships, political ideology, philosophy, life, or religion. It is precisely the pain of wrestling with these things and remaining faithful that shows the reality and strength of it. I worry about people who don't allow themselves to question their deepest held beliefs. I worry even more about those who never ask these deep and challenging questions about their core commitments and beliefs.
October 14th, 2017 at 8:33:41 PM permalink
Evenbob
I worry even more about those who never ask these deep and challenging questions about their core commitments and beliefs. .

And I never worry about them. Everything comes
in it's own time, or it doesn't. What's the difference.
This isn't a Parker Bros board game, with the rules
under the box lid. Life has no purpose, you have
no reason to be here other than you're here.

Life's big question today could be what's for dinner.
Like the zen master says, when I eat, I eat. When I
sleep, I sleep. They live in the present moment, not
in the future or the past where most people live.

Life is pointless, that's the point. It means whatever
you want it to mean.
October 15th, 2017 at 8:14:42 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Science has always altered religion and it will continue to do so. Once humans believed that the sun was Apollo in his chariot circling the earth, not many believe that now. Despite a few high paid athletes the churches have now accepted that the earth is not flat. At one time to believe the world was round was reason enough to be excommunicated etc. etc. Science has always caused change in the churches of the world and will continue to do so. As scientific knowledge dissipates through the population it creates the pressure for these changes. All religions have people who fight this change. Those that are willing to take this fight the farthest have caused much of the violence in the world. This is the struggle that leads to the our current conflict in the Moslem world with Moslem traditionalists and to the bombing of abortion clinics in the west.

The belief in God is probably not in any immediate danger since for many people in the world it is a nice comfortable feeling. We only have to look at the small group in our forum to find many people that have expressed that they have thanked the God that they know doesn't exist for something. Science will, however, continue to change the worlds religions and the God of the future will be much different than today and could likely disappear. If he does totally disappear I think that this is probably centuries away.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
Page 2 of 20<12345>Last »