Will God Survive Science

Page 4 of 20<1234567>Last »
October 15th, 2017 at 5:27:57 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Quote: kenarman
So Padre that would mean you accept the fact that God didn't make the world and genisis is simply I fun story.

People pick line by line what they think is literally true in the Bible and what is just a story, with either no basis in reality to discriminate between them or being forced by science to label them as stories.

The Bible tells us god created the universe and gives us two stories as to how. We are now told that even though the stories in the bible about how god created the universe are just stories, god still created the universe. Even though the stories are no longer believed to be actual, factual accounts of how the universe was created, the "message" (obviously?) Is that god created the universe.

So basically discard whatever "facts" you want from the bible, either by choice or by debunking, get whatever "message" church leaders have told you the message is, and nevermind the fact that they built a house on a foundation and then erased the foundation.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
October 15th, 2017 at 5:41:14 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Dalex64

The things you listed as "higher science" are not science. It is art, philosophy, and religion.
You might as well have thrown "creation science" on to the list.

He forgot the other 'sciences', like
astrology, numerology, ghost hunting,
Ouija boardology, and water witching.
They are sciences too if theology is
now a science. Which of course it is
not.

sci·ence
ˈsīəns/
noun: science

the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment.

The supernatural cannot be studied scientifically
because it can't be proven to exist, let alone be
studied and observed. The Amazing Randi still
has his million bucks.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 15th, 2017 at 6:31:43 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: FrGamble
No, of course God made the world. Heliocentrism is about the Earth orbiting the sun not the other way around. I don't think it speaks about if God created the universe.

I wasn't talking about heliocentrism in my last post I was talking about genesis vs science. Science makes it pretty hard to take genesis as a true story. Now I realize that you have various ways of trying to meld the two. This melding I think though just proves my original post that religion is continually changed as science learns more about our world.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
October 15th, 2017 at 6:36:06 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
It is best to keep the goals of the two disciplines of the physical sciences and the higher sciences (philosophy, metaphysics, ethics, art, theology, etc.) in focus when discussing this.

The things you listed as "higher science" are not science. It is art, philosophy, and religion.

You might as well have thrown "creation science" on to the list.

Sorry what I meant to say is that I didn't make up that term. I did call them that but I didn't come up with the distinction, if you find it offensive or degrading to the physical sciences I will happily refrain from using it.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
October 15th, 2017 at 6:38:28 PM permalink
FrGamble

So basically discard whatever "facts" you want from the bible, either by choice or by debunking, get whatever "message" church leaders have told you the message is, and nevermind the fact that they built a house on a foundation and then erased the foundation.

A simpler and maybe easier way to say this is to not treat the Bible as a science textbook. It is not and never claims to be.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
October 15th, 2017 at 6:40:42 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
If multiple universes exist do they each have their own God or do they simply share one or some Gods?
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
October 15th, 2017 at 7:00:23 PM permalink
FrGamble
They still had to be created and they share the one God creator of all things.
October 15th, 2017 at 7:17:45 PM permalink
Evenbob
They still had to be created and they share the one God creator of all things.

God is the scapegoat, as always. He is
the explanation when there is none,
the default when confusion arises.
That worked once upon a time when
the world was run by superstition,
but the world moved on and the
Church did not.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 15th, 2017 at 7:20:22 PM permalink
Evenbob
if you find it offensive

It's offensive that you constantly try
and portray religion as being in the
realm of logic and science. That's very
offensive to anybody who can think
for themselves and doesn't need
a daddy Church to do their thinking
for them.
October 15th, 2017 at 7:38:40 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
In order to work the Adam and Eve story into the Science of Evolution, you have to assume that Adam & Eve were the first of the line of our evolutionary species to get self-awareness at a human level. (Tree of Knowledge event)

You can then get away with calling them the first humans as long as you pretend the creation of the first humans was the evolutionary jump necessary for human thinking and self-awareness.

If Adam & Eve were created whole cloth without any prior species, they fail the test for Evolution.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
Page 4 of 20<1234567>Last »