Will God Survive Science

October 18th, 2017 at 6:44:05 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: rxwine
I totally agree with the left's attempt to destigmatize sexual identity choice.

It's not a choice.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
October 18th, 2017 at 6:56:00 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Ayecarumba
An example is the push by many school boards to indoctrinate school children in a system that presents a spectrum of sexual identities, instead of just the traditional male / female. There's no scientific basis for this as truth,

Really? No basis at all? Well, you so relieve my mind. It turns out I'm not even real! that simplifies a lot of issues.

Quote:
C'mon man, these young kids can't even write their own names in cursive.

and so they can't make any determinations about themselves, except to determine themselves cisgendder and heterosexual. If they do that, you have no objections.

Quote:
If it's a theory, call it a theory.

You don't know what theory means. a theory isn't a wild guess.

Quote:
Despite the volume of the voices saying Jesus Christ was a figment of someone's imagination, there is more historic evidence that he lived, died, resurrected and ascended

There is some sketchy, sparse evidence he may have lived. That's it. Jeshua was a rather common name in Roman Judea. Now, if he lived, quite naturally he also died, we can assume that much.

And that's it. That's all the evidence can show you.

When you decide to oppress a minority and deny them rights and dignity, no matter what reason you have, you are bigot.
October 18th, 2017 at 7:08:34 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
We also know that a small group of Jesus' followers claimed that not only had He risen from the dead but that He appeared to them. They all gave their lives for this truth and others also experienced the Resurrected Lord Jesus and became committed to spreading His message and it has become the largest religion on Earth. None of the authorities of the time were ever able to find His body and even in the face of torture and persecution were never able to get anyone of the Apostles or early followers to stop talking about the Resurrected Lord, so real and intense was there experience. You could claim that this might have been some intense emotional shared hallucination, but then why today I still am able to have a real and intimate relationship with the living Lord Jesus?
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
October 18th, 2017 at 7:22:47 AM permalink
FrGamble
Petro, I choose to focus on the saints of the Church much more than the sinners. The saints far outnumber the sinners, even though the bad apples get the headlines. The example of the holy men and women of the Church are what inspires me and they received their strength to do such great things from the sacraments and teachings of the Church, often times in spite of the sinners who are also part of it. Without the sacraments and the teachings of the Church I could do nothing. If I "branched" out as you say I would be easily able to make Christianity in my own image and it would be disastrous and false. I need to stay connected to the original message of Jesus Christ who founded the Church and promised not that it would be perfect, after all the 12 Apostles were far from perfect, but that the gates of hell would not prevail against it. Some 2017 years later the Church has been trying to destroy itself with sins and scandals and yet it remains held together by saints and an innumerable army of good people who form a foundation strong enough to withstand any shaking scandal from a few.

Maybe you don't see people breeching the walls of the Vatican but on state run universities you would have to be blind to not see an attack on religious values, truths, and virtues. In other countries there have been attempts to silence the pulpits. I find it interesting that some here remember the Scopes trial as evidence of the religious teachings being forced on people and ignore the stories from the current newspaper about the forcing of secular ideas upon everyone.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
October 18th, 2017 at 7:24:59 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: FrGamble
We also know that a small group of Jesus' followers claimed that not only had He risen from the dead but that He appeared to them. They all gave their lives for this truth and others also experienced the Resurrected Lord Jesus and became committed to spreading His message and it has become the largest religion on Earth. None of the authorities of the time were ever able to find His body and even in the face of torture and persecution were never able to get anyone of the Apostles or early followers to stop talking about the Resurrected Lord, so real and intense was there experience. You could claim that this might have been some intense emotional shared hallucination, but then why today I still am able to have a real and intimate relationship with the living Lord Jesus?

To put it into one of the more popular phrases of today "Fake News". We can't even agree on what is happening currently. Of course they didn't have extreme followers that will only believe 'truths' that confirm their own beliefs (sarcasm).
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
October 18th, 2017 at 7:26:01 AM permalink
Nareed
We also know that a small group of Jesus' followers claimed that not only had He risen from the dead but that He appeared to them.

We know Hatshepsut claimed Amun told her she was his daughter. It must be true.

We know Olympias claimed Zeus himself impregnated her with Alexander. The little bastard then went on to conquer half the known world and changed the course of history forever. it must be true.

Oh, BTW, we have so much evidence of the lives of Hatshepsut and Alexander, that we know beyond doubt not only that they lived, but a lot about what they did in their lives.

Do you want to hear about Marius, Quetzalcoatl, and many more?

Quote:
You could claim that this might have been some intense emotional shared hallucination,

Not at all. my weak claim is that it was all made up decades afterwards.

Quote:
but then why today I still am able to have a real and intimate relationship with the living Lord Jesus?

Who knows. People can be tricked to feel and even believe things that are patently not true.

But, hey, since you have such a close relationship with a man dead for millennia, what say you both fly down here and we go have coffee, all three of us. he's omnipotent, isn't he? It seems to me he ought to be able to manage what millions of ordinary, non-omnipotent people all over the world do regularly,
October 18th, 2017 at 7:29:04 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
We also know that a small group of Jesus' followers claimed that not only had He risen from the dead but that He appeared to them.

again according to one source (NT) and not corroborated

Quote:
They all gave their lives for this truth and others also experienced the Resurrected Lord Jesus and became committed to spreading His message and it has become the largest religion on Earth.

None of the authorities of the time were ever able to find His body and even in the face of torture and persecution were never able to get anyone of the Apostles or early followers to stop talking about the Resurrected Lord, so real and intense was there experience.

again according to one source (NT) and not corroborated, and not written down for decades after the alleged events.

Quote:
You could claim that this might have been some intense emotional shared hallucination, but then why today I still am able to have a real and intimate relationship with the living Lord Jesus?

how you feel now has no bearing on whether or not what you believe is true.

it just seems so obvious that, as the stories of the old testament were invented and written to bring the tribes together under a set of common beliefs, decades after jesus died they invented fantastic stories to give their fledgling religion some 'supernatural glue' for people to believe in, rather than just a normal human philosopher.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
October 18th, 2017 at 8:07:01 AM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Dalex64
again according to one source (NT) and not corroborated

Not true, the Roman Emperor Claudius who reigned in 41 AD kicked out the Jews because of a controversy surrounding Christ. We have the accounts of the martyrdoms of the Apostles and their tombs, and the rest as they say is history, recorded history.
October 18th, 2017 at 8:24:46 AM permalink
Nareed
Not true, the Roman Emperor Claudius who reigned in 41 AD kicked out the Jews because of a controversy surrounding Christ.

Hmm. One overactive emperor does something in regards to a rumor decades after the alleged event, and to you that's confirmation?

Look, we've been through this before. all argument aside, nothing of what you believe entitles you to oppress anyone, deny them equal rights, or enable you to mistreat anyone in any way. It doesn't matter if you want to do this out of mindless animosity, or sincerely held religious beliefs.
October 18th, 2017 at 8:41:01 AM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Nareed
Hmm. One overactive emperor does something in regards to a rumor decades after the alleged event, and to you that's confirmation?

An edict from the Emperor to kick out a whole group of people about 7 years after Jesus Christ was crucified in a far off portion of his empire is indeed confirmation.

Quote:
Look, we've been through this before. all argument aside, nothing of what you believe entitles you to oppress anyone, deny them equal rights, or enable you to mistreat anyone in any way. It doesn't matter if you want to do this out of mindless animosity, or sincerely held religious beliefs.

Yes, but freedom does allow me think differently from you in regards to the nature of marriage and human sexuality. It never allows either of us to deny equal rights, oppress, or mistreat anyone. However, it does allow me to share my sincerely held beliefs (religious or not) and engage in conversation with others.