Will God Survive Science

November 8th, 2017 at 10:47:28 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: FrGamble
Pretty impressive list and of course this is just the priests who made huge contributions to science and it doesn't include the huge list of faithful believers in God like Newton, Kapler, Boyle, Faraday, Descartes, Pascal, etc. etc. etc....

I am under the impression that Newton thought that this book was his most significant work.

Newton considered himself to be one of a select group of individuals who were specially chosen by God for the task of understanding Biblical scripture. Newton would spend much of his life seeking and revealing what could be considered a Bible Code. He placed a great deal of emphasis upon the interpretation of the Book of Revelation.

Of course, his Principia is one of the most influential books in history.
November 9th, 2017 at 11:38:29 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
Newton considered himself to be one of a select group of individuals who were specially chosen by God for the task of understanding Biblical scripture. Newton would spend much of his life seeking and revealing what could be considered a Bible Code. He placed a great deal of emphasis upon the interpretation of the Book of Revelation.

I think even devout Christians regard such things as mysticism.

It's tempting to channel Sheldon Cooper and ponder what else Newton might have achieved had he not wasted his time on nonsense. But the plain fact is Newton accomplished a great deal more than even other giants in the field: gravitation, optics, calculus, dynamics (ie Newton's laws of motion), and astronomy, to name a few.

He wouldn't be the only scientist who wasted time on a useless hobby, either. Linus Pauling devoted years to a weird fetish of vitamin C, for instance.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 9th, 2017 at 12:06:12 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Pacomartin
Newton considered himself to be one of a select group of individuals who were specially chosen by God

FrG thinks he's 'chosen by god' too. It
goes with the egomanical territory. You
first invent the god, then make yourself
the special person in the gods eye. What's
the point of inventing a god that notices
everybody but you. You make yourself
the center of his universe, of course..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 9th, 2017 at 12:24:46 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Nareed
Linus Pauling devoted years to a weird fetish of vitamin C, for instance.
He outlived his critics.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
November 10th, 2017 at 8:31:52 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: petroglyph
He outlived his critics.

Just like God.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
November 10th, 2017 at 10:31:53 AM permalink
Evenbob
Just like God.

Myth's always survive, they still
make movies about Hercules
and Thor. Duh..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 10th, 2017 at 11:38:16 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Just like God.

Now, that's an unseemly boast.

By definition, your god(s) is eternal. that means he's immortal. ergo he will survive everyone else.

So it's like boasting that an adult is bigger and stronger and has more skills than a baby.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 10th, 2017 at 5:57:40 PM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
Quote: Nareed
Now, that's an unseemly boast.

By definition, your god(s) is eternal. that means he's immortal. ergo he will survive everyone else.

So it's like boasting that an adult is bigger and stronger and has more skills than a baby.
correct!
February 25th, 2018 at 5:06:04 PM permalink
Evenbob
The more I read about god and science,
the thinner the case for god gets. It's
thin to the point of being nonexistent.

I was reading an article about the nature
of reality, and they made the point that
to advance into the future, the god myth
has to treated for exactly what it is: A
myth that has nothing to do with science.
February 25th, 2018 at 7:08:46 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
I know this is simply bait and trying to get under my skin, but I feel obligated to respond. I can't just seem to let statements that have no supporting evidence or really any thought behind them at all to stand. You just fire off spontaneous atheistic baloney and think you are fooling anyone.

You know that the history of science is intertwined with arguably its greatest supporter, the Church. The ground for doing science in the first place is that the universe and all creation is ordered and intelligible. It follows strict fine tuned laws that are universal (sounds like morality as well doesn't it). That is why so many of the greatest scientists then and now are men and women of faith.

Religion did nothing but help us move into the future of new scientific discovers and it continues to do so. Without God our future is doomed.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (