Casting Couch; male & female, Follow The Money.

December 6th, 2017 at 1:52:55 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
It's now 28 senators demanding
Frankenweenie resign. He's done.
The woman today was the last
straw.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 6th, 2017 at 4:05:03 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Who is getting rich off all these ousted males?
December 6th, 2017 at 4:46:44 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Fleastiff
Who is getting rich off all these ousted males?

The media
The more eyeballs they get, the more money they make
Breibart raking it in due to Franken
CNN raking it in due to Moore
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
December 7th, 2017 at 9:29:01 AM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
This is just getting weird.

Here is Newt Gingrich and Laura Ingraham defending Al Franken's right to grab random butts and boobs without women's consent. (In case you're wondering Minnesota's criminal code categorizes this crime as sexual conduct in the 5th degree which carries up to a 1 year prison sentence.)

Let me get this straight: Gingrich doesn't want Franken held accountable for 8 accusations of criminal behavior. Does the rest of the GOP agree with Gingrich, or is he the anomaly? If I were in Al Franken's shoes, I would seriously consider sitting down with Mitch McConnell and inquiring whether the GOP would welcome Franken if he were to switch parties. There's nothing the DNC could do to stop him from switching and maybe we'd all be better off.
December 7th, 2017 at 11:00:00 AM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Al Franken has announced his resignation.

He also denies the allegations past the first picture, and denies lecherous intent in that picture. It was a joke in poor taste.

There is an important distinction to be made, that he touched on, which is a victim's perception vs. perpetrator intent.

Franken apologized to several of his accusers in turn. He was, in doing that, not admitting guilt; he was respecting the perspective the women had that they had been groped. It was not his intent to grope anyone; he was posing for pictures, or offering a hug, or some other thing was happening and the contact was incidental, not deliberate. Even in the tacky photo, he's not touching her, but is posing as if he were.

Had the ethics process been allowed to continue, this distinction would have become clear, as the accusers would have had to identify themselves (several now anonymous), the situation, and the nature of the contact. Instead, the politics of the situation overwhelmed due process, as the Democrats chose public perception and stance over a fair weighing of evidence and testimony.

The Dems may be correct, strategically, overall. Both Moore, with strong and solid, named testimony and physical evidence against him, and Trump, who admitted intent on tape both Access Hollywood and Howard Stern, and testimony from 12 accusers, show their true minds towards sexual assault and pedophilia. Their actions are significantly more egregious. And their denials ring hollow and foolish.

Given the contrast, and the increased activism in general, there is now no known impediment for all Dems to smear all Reps with this immoral behavior indefinitely. The actions of Trump and the RNC each endorsing Moore will assist in this. Many Republicans, including myself, are disgusted with both, but especially our own.

A 2018 backlash now seems more likely than before, despite "safe" districts.

I have stayed registered Rep despite 3 decades of increasingly selfish, greedy actions and policies, because the best place to fight such corruption and wrong-headed policies is from the inside. In no small part, that decision is due to Florida conducting closed primaries, which in many cases is where the race is decided.

But I just don't know if I can stand to lend my name to their cause any more, because it is in no way mine. Every day I think we're at the nadir, and yet they find a new low in some direction.

Still mulling.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
December 7th, 2017 at 11:03:30 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
There is a rumor that CNN and/or Washington Post is currently working on a story that will expose sexual harassment by 20-30 current members of Congress.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
December 7th, 2017 at 11:10:22 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: beachbumbabs

I have stayed registered Rep despite 3 decades of increasingly selfish, greedy actions and policies, because the best place to fight such corruption and wrong-headed policies is from the inside. In no small part, that decision is due to Florida conducting closed primaries, which in many cases is where the race is decided.

Why on earth would you be registered GOP? I have never once heard you do anything but attack the GOP and support liberal positions.

BTW: Did you support the Clinton Impeachment given his sexual harassment?
The President is a fink.
December 7th, 2017 at 11:23:44 AM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Quote: AZDuffman
Why on earth would you be registered GOP? I have never once heard you do anything but attack the GOP and support liberal positions.

BTW: Did you support the Clinton Impeachment given his sexual harassment?

Several reasons. I don't in general support the Democratic agenda of entitlements and larger government.

There is still a small but active group of moderate Republicans who continue to fight the worst impulses of the party, from establishment wing to teaparty to trumpers. (Oh, you think there's only room for your way or the highway? So wrong, AZD.)

And pragmatically, there is no viable alternative to one or the other, so if there's to be any useful activism, it has to be while aligned with one or the other.

If a credible group of those who've walked away from either due to extremism (and there are many, but not yet joined; libertarian green, etc are ineffective and fringe-y) were to form, it's likely I would change my affiliation to them. But politics is rarely about lone wolf voices; it's about common cause. So for now I'm stuck.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
December 7th, 2017 at 11:24:42 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: ams288
There is a rumor that CNN and/or Washington Post is currently working on a story that will expose sexual harassment by 20-30 current members of Congress.

Cool
I'm sure this is the reason some republicans are defending Franken
Lets get all this out in the open

Sexual assault is WRONG
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
December 7th, 2017 at 11:51:26 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: beachbumbabs
Al Franken has announced his resignation.He also denies the allegations past the first picture, and denies lecherous intent in that picture. It was a joke in poor taste.

And Al knows all about poor taste.

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.