Casting Couch; male & female, Follow The Money.

November 14th, 2017 at 1:50:51 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: terapined
I don't give a crap about politics when it comes to sexual predators

I agree 100%.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
November 14th, 2017 at 2:25:45 PM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
Quote: AZDuffman
Another is that poor people tend to make bad life choices, a reason many are poor.

When I think of bad life choices, I think of crimes like shoplifting, vandalism, DUI, fist fights, drug dealing.

But a child molester is in a totally different ballpark. That compulsion is a sign of mental illness. Someone like that is genuinely sick.
November 14th, 2017 at 2:41:33 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: reno
When I think of bad life choices, I think of crimes like shoplifting, vandalism, DUI, fist fights, drug dealing.

But a child molester is in a totally different ballpark. That compulsion is a sign of mental illness. Someone like that is genuinely sick.

Not all sex offenders are molesters. Some dated a 17 year old when they were 19. More than a few were falsely accused. But yeah, molesters are sick, why they don't last in the can.
The President is a fink.
November 14th, 2017 at 4:01:49 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: AZDuffman
But yeah, molesters are sick, why they don't last in the can.
They don't last in the can because they lack gang affiliations, are usually hormonally deficient and therefore physically weak. Jails and prisons are full of predators and predators prey on the weakest inmates. Inmates who are particularly vocal about "attacking the baby rapists" are often pedophiles who have concealed the nature of their own crimes.

Residences? Cheap rents are in poor neighborhoods.

Lawyers? Not always. First in line is the bail bondsman, then the lawyers. Remember that Dateline program that caught almost a dozen sexual predators in a sex with a thirteen year old girl internet sting? Many had charges dismissed or received very low sentences but had to go with a public defender. One man, a multimillionaire, hired a powerhouse law firm and wound up doing two years and paying about 800,000 in legal fees.
November 14th, 2017 at 4:31:12 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Why not the death penalty for repeat offenders, or those convicted where there are witnesses and beyond the shadow of any doubt on first offense?

There is no cure for pedophiles, and they will repeat their offense if given the chance. Society should give itself the authority to organ harvest from these child predators and incinerate the rest.

AFAIC, if a church is going to protect pedophiles and knowingly shuffle rapist priests around, they should be de certified.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
November 14th, 2017 at 4:48:19 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: petroglyph
Why not the death penalty for repeat offenders, or those convicted where there are witnesses and beyond the shadow of any doubt on first offense?

There is no cure for pedophiles, and they will repeat their offense if given the chance.

I knew a parole officer
He firmly believed the only solution is to cut it off

What I cant get my head around is some conservatives defending Roy Moore
Some things should be above politics
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
November 14th, 2017 at 4:58:18 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Fleastiff
They don't last in the can because they lack gang affiliations, are usually hormonally deficient and therefore physically weak.

That might be, but it is not the primary reason. Many prisoners were sexually abused as kids. Prisoners as a group do not like those that commit sick and cowardly crimes. There may be a low bar for what is morally acceptable, but child molestation still does not hop over it.

Any prison survival guide or "real show" all state that the public perception of what happens to molesters in the can is the closest to reality inside of any question asked.
The President is a fink.
November 14th, 2017 at 5:37:13 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
I knew a parole officer
He firmly believed the only solution is to cut it off

I'm reading that this is more complex than just Roy Moore. He has belonged to the same church all his life, a Fundamentalist Baptist sect that believes women should be married while they're extremely young, specifically young enough to be "unformed", so the man can form her into the person he wants. Women of 20 are supposedly already ruined for that. Once he picks his mate, it's up to her father to "train" her in the way the groom wants until the wedding day, then he takes over. Sex, however, doesn't happen until the wedding.

I've seen and heard of this before, so I don't think it's beyond possible that's the source of it. But since it's illegal by civil statute, I think they keep it pretty quiet. It would, however, explain why reporters going to Alabama are finding a surprising amount of support. Their standards are different, and they view their church's values above state or federal laws.

Even so, and even by their standards, there was a LOT of talk locally about Moore on the prowl.

Hoping some more reporting/verification of whether that's common practice in Alabama/that sect might show up.

One somewhat related practice was the semi-fad in the 90's called "Promise Keepers". Same type of helpmeet relationship spelled out, but no age specifications. Hundreds of thousands of those in the South.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
November 14th, 2017 at 6:01:17 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: beachbumbabs
Women of 20 are supposedly already ruined for that.

Those pesky Christians, always up to
no good. They're obsessed with sex,
or in the Catholic church, the clergy
is obsessed with not having it. Same
thing, actually. The more you learn
about how a lot of Christians think,
the more frightening they are.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 14th, 2017 at 7:42:27 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
I don't see much difference between the two main party's when it comes right down to it.

Politicians are screwing everybody. Mostly just in it for the power trip, and has very little to do with "serving" anyone.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW