Telepresence vs Business travel

Page 2 of 2<12
October 23rd, 2017 at 6:30:39 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 332
Quote: Pacomartin
Of course. Very significant novel.

You may recall the Solarians had jets, with open windows no less :)

BTW, you may recall the book starts with Baley flying to Washington from NYC. The plane, of course, has no windows. But then the narrator says something astonishing. They inform us the runway is covered, and the plane won't be exposed to the Outside until it has reached takeoff speed.

Even granting a universal Earth neurosis regarding the Outside, why bother with the risk of covering the runways if the plane has no windows to begin with?

IMO, that's reflective of Asimov's fear of flying combined with his well-known claustrophilia.
If Trump where half as smart as he thinks he is, he'd be twice as smart as he really is.
October 23rd, 2017 at 8:29:57 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 14
I work from home. Everybody on my team works from home. It's nice. Teleconferencing is our life, basically.

Thankfully we're not salespeople so it doesn't matter if you can hear our cats meowing and dogs barking in the background (happens all the time).

Last week we all traveled to Cape Cod for the week (4 members of my team live there, so that's where the rest of us go when we all need to get together). It is such a hassle... flying to Boston, renting the car, driving down to the Cape. It's beautiful down there this time of year, and the food.... delicious. I think I'd still prefer teleconferencing, but sometimes you just need to meet face to face.
In order to insult me, I must first value your opinion
October 24th, 2017 at 6:49:34 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 39
Quote: ams288
I work from home. Everybody on my team works from home. It's nice. Teleconferencing is our life, basically.

I am also in the same situation
I love it
More personal time due to no commute
Don't have to prepare luch ahead of time
Just root around the fridge and whip something up :-)
Do Laundry on breaks during the day
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
October 24th, 2017 at 7:38:08 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 105
Quote: terapined
I am also in the same situation
I love it
More personal time due to no commute
Don't have to prepare luch ahead of time
Just root around the fridge and whip something up :-)
Do Laundry on breaks during the day

I get to do it about 2 days a week, could do more if I wanted. Once my dad and his buddy came over to install something for me, a window IIRC. He was more impressed at my working from home than if I had been made CEO of GM.
The man who damns money has obtained it dishonorably; the man who respects it has earned it
Page 2 of 2<12