Casual thread

Page 1 of 101234>Last »
October 23rd, 2017 at 3:53:22 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Little known facts can be so much fun.

the other day someone at the office wanted to know how to convert Celsius to Fahrenheit. There's a simple formula, but I can never remember it. i know there' s a multiplication, a division, an addition or subtraction (depending on what unit you start with), and the numbers 5, 9 and 32. So it's a limited set and one could reconstruct it.

But the simple thing to do is look it up in Google.

The simpler thing is to ask your phone's digital assistant "how much is X Celsius in Fahrenheit?" (*)

So someone tried it and I suggested he ask how much is -40 C in F. He got the right answer, but was convinced it was wrong :)

(*) personally I find it faster to type "x c to f" (where x is any natural number between -infinity an +infinity), rather than bringing up an assistant and asking the question verbally.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
October 24th, 2017 at 9:41:37 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Isaac Asimov's short story "A feeling of power"

The formula is the simple ratio using boiling and freezing points expressed both ways depending if going from F to C or C to F
(212-32)/(100-0)=(F-32)/(C-0)
(100-0)/(212-32)=(C-0)/(F-32)

(212-32)/(100-0) = 9/5
(100-0)/(212-32) = 5/9

If temperature in Centigrade is the same as temperature in F the C=F
5/9=C/(C-32)
9C=5C-5*32
4C=-5*32
C=-5*8
C=-40 = F
So -40 degrees is the same temperature in Centrigade and Fahrenheit scale
October 24th, 2017 at 10:15:35 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Pacomartin
Isaac Asimov's short story "A feeling of power"

I'll take your word for it. It was a Griswold story, which are more like mystery puzzles with minimal characterization and plot (unlike, most of, the mystery puzzles in the Black Widower stories).

But I recalled this since high school physics.

Quote:
So -40 degrees is the same temperature in Centrigade and Fahrenheit scale

Few people seem to know this, and most people think it's wrong if you just come up with it. that's what makes the reactions fun :)
October 24th, 2017 at 10:32:07 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Can someone please explain why women, when lacking anything of substance to fight about will get mad over what I allegedly think? Never mind that she is rarely correct in her assumptions about said thoughts. Where did she get this mind-reading device and which man-hater created it to always see the worst in the male brain?
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
October 24th, 2017 at 10:39:52 AM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Engineers educated in the US are trained be equally comfortable either SI units or the jacked up system known as U. S. Customary units. I don't find the conversion from c to f difficult to remember. Multiply by 9/5 to scale to the smaller increments of Fahrenheit then add 32 to reset the freezing temperature to 32 degrees. However in my industry, even though SI units and US units are both used, no one would ever think of using anything but Celsius for temperature, so I rarely need to convert.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
October 24th, 2017 at 10:46:56 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: JimRockford
However in my industry, even though SI units and US units are both used, no one would ever think of using anything but Celsius for temperature, so I rarely need to convert.

I used to convert a lot from F to C when baking. Later I found out the baking temp isn't that important for most things.
October 24th, 2017 at 11:02:19 AM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
According to this source, Mr Fahrenheit set his zero point to be colder than it would ever get in Denmark. And you probably thought it was arbitrary.
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/845/on-the-fahrenheit-scale-why-is-32-freezing-and-212-boiling
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
October 24th, 2017 at 11:36:05 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Wizard
Can someone please explain why women, when lacking anything of substance to fight about will get mad over what I allegedly think? Never mind that she is rarely correct in her assumptions about said thoughts.
Sorry if that was rhetorical? The problem isn't about what you think, it's about what she thinks. And there is probably nothing you can do about it. It's insecurity. It goes back to when we all lived on the plains, and we were all hard wired to reproduce.

What do women want, [ other than feminists]? They want/need to be protected and have a safe place to nest. Men want/need a fertile place to put their seed. There are several variations to this, but I think this is the gist of it. When we get a little older, women's beauty starts to fade, and they can't help but fear their protector/provider may be looking for a better place to plant his seed. Whether it's true or not, it's tough to fix.

Finally in my case the only thing I could do is to try and save what was left of me.

Quote:
Where did she get this mind-reading device and which man-hater created it to always see the worst in the male brain?
I don't think she hates you, I think she is afraid you will leave. my .02

I think this issue sooner or later comes up in almost every relationship. And if a guy is searching for the best partner, he should actually search for someone who is secure with who they are, and happy. Men and women get married for different reasons.

You may not see it Wizard but you are much more of a catch for younger women, than when you were young. Women see it. That would feed any insecure woman's fears. The only person that any of us can make happy is ourselves. If even that. I found trying to make someone happy who was determined to be miserable and insecure was impossible.

Women are cruel. They will steal another woman's husband not because they want him, but just to boost their own ego's. Regardless of the carnage they leave behind.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
October 24th, 2017 at 11:57:59 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Can someone please explain why women, when lacking anything of substance to fight about will get mad over what I allegedly think? Never mind that she is rarely correct in her assumptions about said thoughts. Where did she get this mind-reading device and which man-hater created it to always see the worst in the male brain?

If I could figure out what women were thinking the Wynn would be named the "AZDuffman Palace" and every 6:5 BJ Table would be set to a bonfire for all to enjoy. Field 12 would pay Triple as well. But back to reality.

First part of this is most women are very, very insecure. About everything.

Second part is women scheme about things more than guys because women are less direct than men. Think how many times a woman tells you all kinds of things another woman is doing when you do not notice it. Women will say things a certain way or drop a certain hint. This is a reason why any normal man hates to manage a group of women. It is why COs will say they prefer to work the men's vs women's prison. I have learned in life that the mind games between women are never ending. You might get lucky and a small group of women who work for you all get along. Don't count on it.

Thirdly, women take almost everything personal or see some motive in the smallest of things. I've had a woman who worked for me in near breakdown because I swapped out the master terminal to the desk of another woman. Only difference was the master was where you did the daily shut down, which was all of two minutes of work. I had a woman complain to a company owner because I "threw a spelling error in her face" by filling in every part of the form with the same error. I had just did a copy/paste in every field. Same woman complained when I asked questions in training. Said I was "uncooperative." My thought is she was threatened by a qualified hire.

Bachelorhood--I love it!
The President is a fink.
October 24th, 2017 at 12:07:42 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Can someone please explain why women, when lacking anything of substance to fight about will get mad over what I allegedly think?

Most women are a mass of walking insecurity.
They doubt everything, their looks, their
intelligence, their mothering skills, their ability
to hold onto a man, you name it, they're
insecure about it. So they project all that
crap onto us, and the worst thing you
can do is take it seriously or try to find
reason in any of it.

Charleton Heston was married for 50 years.
He said the secret is to agree with everything
the wife says, constantly apologize for being
wrong, whether you are or not, and never
take too seriously anything they say. Kind
like the stereotype husband in the 40's who
just nodded and agreed with everything his
wife said, while not really hearing a single word
of it. All women are nuts to one degree or
another.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
Page 1 of 101234>Last »