We are all Baptists now

Page 4 of 4<1234
November 6th, 2017 at 3:41:55 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Mosca
If you make it harder, it will happen less. Take your pick.

This is why I never hang out in
crowds. I even go to Walmart
on the slowest day of the week.
Less chance of violence if nobody
is there.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 6th, 2017 at 4:13:03 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Mosca
If you make it easier to kill lots of people at once, then it will happen more. If you make it harder, it will happen less. Take your pick.

It is the "make" part of this that I think could be the problem. I don't think any solution where we use force to stop people form doing violence will not lead to just more violence. There needs to be a change in culture in society, ultimately in hearts. We have never been more anxiety ridden, stressed, and angry. Why? I think it is because secularism ultimately fails to satisfy us and belittles humanity.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
November 6th, 2017 at 4:20:18 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
The correlation is very clear. Comparing America with other developed countries, like GB, Norway, Australia, Japan, etc. you see more mass shootings in the US than in all the others.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 6th, 2017 at 4:20:45 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Nareed
I
If upholding the 2nd amendment means accepting mass shootings from time to time, then what hell kind of people live in America?

Saw this post on Quora on a question of what Israelis think of the gun issues in America

Quote:
Most Israelis don't give it a second thought.
The ones who are (myself included), who hear all the NRA nonsense about "more guns for law abiding citizens mean safer streets", and the overall jungle of gun owning in the US, tend to relate to it in one word:
NUTS.
No one can teach me about public safety. I live in the cesspool called "the Middle East" with psychopaths and nutjobs trying to kill me all around and inside my country; I lived in Jerusalem for 10 years, including at the of time of the second intifada, when getting on a bus or in a restaurant was considered playing a Russian roulette; I work in Jerusalem today in a place where 3 knives attacks happened over the last two months alone in 200 meters radius from my office and I drive to work from time to time through what is considered as West Bank roads.
And I DO have license to carry a handgun.
And I DO know how to use one better than most Israelis or Americans (used to be part of my job for more than 3 years).
But I DON'T carry one.
Why?
Because despite what you see in Hollywood movies, encounters with bad guys don't look like Bruce Willis or Clint Eastwood scenes where you fire and hit someone from 90 meters without aiming.
Because I know what it takes to use a gun in a professional way in a crowded street full of people.
Because I know how hard it is to hear some shouting, run, identify one person in the crowd, making sure he is armed and with intention to attack, making sure he is the target and not another armed person like yourself, stop, get into position, aim, fire and hit a moving target while your adrenaline in at stratospheric levels.
You know what happens when you fire and miss a shot in the street? Someone else is dead in most cases.
15 years ago I was trained to do it. Now that I don't, I know I will probably cause more harm than good, so I leave it to the professionals, and we have many of those as you probably know.
And that's before we even start talking about gun proliferation and cases where it is being used without any relation to crime or terror: just a simple road rage or drunk brawls.
That is why guns laws in Israel are extremely strict. It is almost impossible to get a gun permit, and if you do have one, you'd better think 50 times before you use it, as it will likely to get you into serious trouble in 90% of the cases, including in cases of self defense.
Sounds bizarre? Well, I see from time to time questions here in Quora "Is Israel a safe place to visit?" and of course in the news violence in Jerusalem looks no shorter than the one in Baghdad, but read this and tell me where is the bizarre:
VIOLENCE DEATH RATE BY COUNTRY
TL;DR:
US - 5.56 fatalities per 100,000 people (what a symbolic number, ha?)
Israel - 1.91
My dear American friends: you are the ones living in a war-zone, not me.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 6th, 2017 at 5:32:48 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: FrGamble
Why? I think it is because secularism ultimately fails to satisfy us and belittles humanity.

And there it is, I knew if we just waited
it would rear it's ugly head.

It's the fault of atheism! It's those dang
atheist churches on every corner that
is ruining us.

What a hypocrite you are, priest. You
totally ignore your own religions bloody
history and have the gall to point fingers.
Never mind that god is behind 99%
of the recent killings, Allah Akbar means
nothing to you because it's somebody
elses god. To an atheist or anybody who
pays attention, there is only one god,
just like there's only one Santa. You
and your sick god teachings of hatred
and bigotry is what's behind this.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 6th, 2017 at 10:13:16 PM permalink
Evenbob
There was a priest on Laura tonight. He said
the reason atheists mock Christians and
don't want to be Christians is they think
it would stop them leading the lives they
want to live.

WRONG! I'm not a Christian because the
whole religion is ridiculous. Virgin birth,
walk on water, does magic tricks and
call it miracles, rises up from the dead
and still lives today. Poppycock
nonsense from an age of ignorance
and superstition. But a priest will never
say this is the reason an atheist isn't
a Christian, because it makes the Church
look bad. So they take the position that
of course atheists see the logic and sense
of Christianity, but we don't embrace it
because it's too restrictive.

No no no no no. We don't accept it because
it's ridiculous from top to bottom. Just like
most organized religions.
Page 4 of 4<1234