November 8th, 2017 at 9:35:48 PM permalink
Ibeatyouraces
Threads: 0
0%! Taxes should be eliminated!!
November 8th, 2017 at 11:04:41 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: kenarman
. Teachers are in a similar bracket and most of them retire 50-55 after probably graduating and starting their career at close to 25. ;)

50??

Quote:
A recent Gallup poll found that the average retirement age in the US is 62. Of course, average retirement age varies by profession. University professors retire later than teachers, for example. The average retirement age for teachers hovers around 59.Dec 11, 2015
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 8th, 2017 at 11:40:31 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-07-26/why-illinois-trouble-63000-public-employees-100000-salaries-cost-taxpayers-10-billio

Why they need so much?

" Two weeks ago, ten Republicans voted with Democrats to override Governor Bruce Rauner’s veto of a permanent 32-percent income tax hike. "
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
November 8th, 2017 at 11:45:46 PM permalink
rxwine
A nice piece from a NASA engineer, on the idea of teaching high school being a job for slackers

Quote:
But no one can fully understand how difficult teaching in America’s highest-need communities is until he or she personally experiences it. When I solved engineering problems, I had to use my brain. When I solve teaching problems, I use my entire being—everything I have. A typical engineering task involves sending an email to a colleague about a potential design solution. A typical teacher task involves explaining for the fourth time how to get the variable out of the exponent while two students put their heads down, three students start texting, two girls in the back start talking, and one student provokes another from across the classroom.

Quote:
One of the biggest misconceptions about teaching is that it is a single job. Teaching is actually two jobs. The first job is the one that teachers are familiar with; people who have not taught can pretend it doesn’t exist. The tasks involved in this first job include lesson planning, grading, calling parents, writing emails, filling out paperwork, going to meetings, attending training, tutoring, and occasionally sponsoring a club or coaching a sport. The time allotted to teachers for this work is usually one hour per workday. But these tasks alone could easily fill a traditional 40-hour work week

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/education/2013/12/teaching_in_america_s_highest_need_communities_isn_t_rocket_science_it_s.html
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 9th, 2017 at 2:49:02 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rxwine
Really doesn't tell the whole story.

First of all, I believe in lots of oversight. Just because tax money spent 2 years ago was probably justified, doesn't mean it still us.

Second, I don't believe rates should be arbitrarily high, just because you can do it. The people decide through their representatives whether that rate is justified for. Or if it isn't.

Third, we are talking about a minimum 10 million salary not 50k. In fact, as far as I'm concerned you can increase your earnings every year if you can do it. But that doesn't mean you will luck out of a high tax bracket.

Actually, 40% is probably plenty high. But that's just guessing.

Like I said before, you offer me 100k with no taxes, or 1 million with 50% tax, I'm taking the million option every time.

I read this word soup a few times and still do not get it.

I will ask again.

So, you are OK with giving away 50% of what YOU make.

Not someone else. Not if you made a million a year. 50% of current pre-tax income, today. You actually think the government should take half?
The President is a fink.
November 9th, 2017 at 5:51:51 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: JimRockford
Just to be clear, do you mean marginal tax rate or effective tax rate?

At the 10,000,000 figure I picked they are pretty similar, but I guess use marginal.
November 9th, 2017 at 7:33:50 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: AZDuffman
I read this word soup a few times and still do not get it.

I will ask again.

So, you are OK with giving away 50% of what YOU make.

Not someone else. Not if you made a million a year. 50% of current pre-tax income, today. You actually think the government should take half?

So you asked if I wanted to pay 50% (which was my answer) at my income in regards to Soopoo's specific 10 million income question as if that makes any sense???

Uh no, because I believe in a progressive system where EVERYONE pays different rates. He obviously didn't ask about different incomes -- maybe you need reading comprehension, and I'll take a writing class
November 9th, 2017 at 7:40:23 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
50??

I probably should have worded it many not most but with an average of 59 for retirement a significant portion of them are retiring at 55 or lower.

Teachers contracts in Canada have an allowance of 6 days a year or more of 'Professional Development Days" these are days when the kids aren't in school and the teachers are supposed to be taking professional training. Typically these days are scheduled on the Friday before a Monday holiday giving a 4 day weekend. They don't upgrade their skills on their own time with no pay as per your engineers post.

Pretty dug in on this issue rxwine is your husband a teacher?
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
November 9th, 2017 at 7:44:34 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
So you asked if I wanted to pay 50% (which was my answer) at my income in regards to Soopoo's specific 10 million income question as if that makes any sense???

Why would it not? Fair is fair. What is more fair than everyone paying the same rate?
The President is a fink.
November 9th, 2017 at 9:17:00 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Quote: AZDuffman
Why would it not? Fair is fair. What is more fair than everyone paying the same rate?

Everyone paying the same amount would be more fair.

With a 2017 budget of about 4 trillion dollars, divided by the population of the united states of 300M, would be about $13000 for each man, woman, and child.
For a family of 4, that would be $52,000.

Factoring in the utility of the money (how important is $10 to this person vs another) is more fair.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Page 3 of 5<12345>