No votes (0%)
1 vote (25%)
No votes (0%)

4 members have voted

November 13th, 2017 at 8:34:36 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 103
Quote: Pacomartin
In the case of NBC you could say the series were spin-offs.
Law & Order
Law & Order: Criminal Intent
Law & Order: Trial by Jury
Law & Order: LA
Law & Order: Special Victims Unit
Law & Order True Crime

Was there much crossover, though? Other than the occasional guest star crossover, I thought the only connection was just the same format.

On that note, how does everyone feel when shows crossover on just a few things? For example, "Sons of Anarchy" dealt with some of the same gangs as they did on "The Shield." "Las Vegas" I believe crossed over into I do not know what, maybe the new "Knight Rider" to resolve a few loose ends. Back in the 1980s, "LA Law" imported two characters from "Civil Wars" to work at the firm. Interesting or lazy writing?
The man who damns money has obtained it dishonorably; the man who respects it has earned it
November 13th, 2017 at 9:27:20 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 330
Quote: Pacomartin
Law & Order: Criminal Intent

Robert Goren was the smartest detective in TV fiction.
If Trump where half as smart as he thinks he is, he'd be twice as smart as he really is.
November 13th, 2017 at 9:42:38 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 18
Quote: Nareed
Robert Goren was the smartest detective in TV fiction.

Are you discounting Maxwell Smart, or would he not be considered a detective?
November 13th, 2017 at 9:49:33 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 330
Quote: DRich
Are you discounting Maxwell Smart, or would he not be considered a detective?

Max was a secret agent. He was smarter than ten Nobel prize winners combined. Would you believe it, ten?
If Trump where half as smart as he thinks he is, he'd be twice as smart as he really is.
November 13th, 2017 at 12:35:14 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 2
Quote: AZDuffman
It can still get blurry. "Lou Grant" was a success, but in a weird was as it was a drama that came from a sitcom. I never saw an episode, but how much of the character carried over?

You can still have a backdoor pilot and be a spinoff. I think these rarely work because way back, the viewers felt "cheated" and today the audience is sophisticated enough to see what is going on. I remember when "The Fall Guy" had a backdoor pilot to "Trauma Center" which had nothing to do with TFG, but to make matters worse, the storyline finished on "Trauma Center," so you had to watch TC twice! Heather Thomas or no Heather Thomas, that is a rip-off!

I remember these ones in particular, that I watched personally, and I think viewers could be considered 'cheated' by not watching THEIR show but a pilot for another one:

(snips from site referenced before)

The Emergency! episode "905-Wild" was a pilot for a Jack Webb production centered on animal control officers, starring Mark Harmon and Albert Popwell, which did not get picked up.

A sixth-season episode of Bones, "The Finder", featured the show's main cast taking a back seat to a new collection of characters led by an old friend of Booth's played by Geoff Stults. It was a backdoor pilot for a new series called The Finder, also created by Hart Hanson (the creator of Bones). (An early tip-off for knowledgeable fans was that this violated the normal format for episode titles: The X in the Y.)

The Stargate SG-1 two-parter "Lost City", the season 7 finale, is a backdoor pilot for Stargate Atlantis, introducing Elizabeth Weir, ZPMs, and the Antarctic outpost. Originally, it was supposed to be a separate movie between the two series and the Antarctic outpost was supposed to be Atlantis itself, but the spin-off was moved to a different galaxy when SG-1 was renewed for the eighth season.

I remember watching those, in particular the first two, and wondering what the heck was going on.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
November 17th, 2017 at 9:34:33 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 148
Another strong episode of Young Sheldon last night. After choking on a piece of sausage, Sheldon develops a fear of eating hard food. I don't want to spoil anything but let's just say that it also where Sheldon finds he interest in comic books.

I encourage all to give the show a try, regardless how you feel about TBBT. As I've said before, the Young Sheldon is a lot more like The Wonder Years. However you may have felt about that show would likely predict your feelings of Young Sheldon.

Speaking of which, here one of my favorite scenes from the Wonder Years. You may recognize the guest star as the one who plays Karen's hippy boyfriend -- John Corbett, who later found much bigger fame on Northern Exposure and Sex and the City. Sorry for the lousy audio.

Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
November 17th, 2017 at 10:56:07 AM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 0
Northern Exposure would be worth watching again, but I can't find it anywhere.
November 17th, 2017 at 11:22:11 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 148
Quote: JimRockford
Northern Exposure would be worth watching again, but I can't find it anywhere.

I bought good bootleg DVD's on Ebay. Be warned that not all the bootlegs are good quality. The official DVD's have a lot of the music removed, which ruins it.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
Page 3 of 3<123