Thoughts on the Flat Earth folks

Page 7 of 9« First<456789>
November 16th, 2017 at 10:42:59 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

There is regular service from Auckland Airport in New Zealand to Santiago Chile and to Seoul Korea. The two destinations are the same distance from Auckland (within 0.5%).
November 17th, 2017 at 2:12:23 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
I trust everyone understood that antarctica-not-a-continent is not my own belief

judging by the few videos I have watched portions of, the response to any and all evidence contrary to flat earth theory is that there is a vast conspiracy to have us believe otherwise

some celebrities have bit; it seems to have particularly spread around the NBA

https://www.ranker.com/list/celebrities-who-are-flat-earthers/celebrity-lists
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
November 17th, 2017 at 8:36:35 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: SOOPOO
Because its disavow, not disasvow.

That would explain it ;-).
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
November 17th, 2017 at 8:45:37 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Pacomartin
There is regular service from Auckland Airport in New Zealand to Santiago Chile and to Seoul Korea. The two destinations are the same distance from Auckland (within 0.5%).

There are flights from the US to Europe that go way up north. I know I've flown over the middle of Greenland but believe others get even further north. That said, are there any commercial flights that go over Antarctica? Perhaps Perth to Buenos Aires?

p.s. A Travelocity search shows it takes two or three stops to make that trip and 28 to 35 hours. Dang. Expensive too. Lowest is $2,700 -- and airfare is generally running cheap right now elsewhere.
November 18th, 2017 at 12:04:29 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Wizard
There are flights from the US to Europe that go way up north. I know I've flown over the middle of Greenland but believe others get even further north. That said, are there any commercial flights that go over Antarctica? Perhaps Perth to Buenos Aires?

At present there are no commercial flights over Antartica.

Perth to Buenos Aires is a future possibility. They have flights to Buenos Aires and Santiago Chile from Auckland as a convenient way to connect to Southeast Asia and Australia.

Perth would add only 4 miles to the nonstop from Buenos Aires to Shanghai
12,176 mi EZE-PVG ~ nonstop (theoretical)
12,180 mi EZE-PER -PVG ~ Perth as a refuel stop
12,427 mi connecting antipodes

The other future possibility is Auckland to Johannesburg which would skirt the edges of Antartica.

When they restore the Newark to Singapore route in 2018 that will go very close to the North Pole and Alert Airport (YLT) will be the diversion airport. The route lasted from 2004-2013 but was shut down as the 4 engine plane used too much fuel. It will be restarted with a twin engine jet.

Even Las Vegas to London would go over the southern tip of Greenland.

The little town of Alert lies on the tip of the Nunavut region in Canada a unimportant five hundred miles underneath the North Pole. With a year-round populace of five individuals, Alert is a standout amongst the most deceptive and remote places on the planet. Encompassed by the Arctic Ocean, the temperatures in the locale can reach as low as 40 degrees beneath zero. As a result of its nearness toward the North Pole, Alert is additionally helpless to 24-hour obscurity amid winter and 24-hour daylight amid summer.
November 18th, 2017 at 8:34:09 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
At present there are no commercial flights over Antartica.

I wonder if the Flat Earth Society has considered this as a contributing argument to their premise.
November 18th, 2017 at 9:12:56 PM permalink
Pacomartin
I wonder if the Flat Earth Society has considered this as a contributing argument to their premise.

Even without flying over Antartica, the fact that these two flights are identical in flying time should be a problem.

It's clear that these flight paths are the same length from the flat earth image.
November 18th, 2017 at 10:06:55 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Even without flying over Antartica, the fact that these two flights are identical in flying time should be a problem.

The flat earthers would probably argue the planes go faster over the longer distance.
November 19th, 2017 at 1:54:20 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Flights over Antartica?

Didn't New Zealand have some real problems with a sightseeing flight they re-routed electronically without telling the crew; flew it straight into the highest mountain around during a whiteout.
November 19th, 2017 at 4:07:56 AM permalink
Pacomartin
In the late 19th century Whalers would circumnavigate Antarctica regularly as the whales has been relative unmolested for most of human civilization.

The flat earthers would probably argue the planes go faster over the longer distance.

I guess they would have to argue that those 19th century ships were much faster than normal.

===============================
Flat earth Society would be a good way to teach children about the difficulties of printing out the globe on piece of flat paper.

Also the world's southernmost commercial airport is not even at an extreme latitude compared to equivalent northern airports.
54.9311°S Guardiamarina Zanartu Airport Puerto Williams Chile
55.0377°N Newcastle UK airport
55.9508°N Edinburgh Airport
60.1976°N Oslo Airport, Gardermoen Norway
63.9788°N Keflavík International Airport, Iceland
Page 7 of 9« First<456789>