Thoughts on the Flat Earth folks

Page 8 of 9« First<56789>
November 19th, 2017 at 9:19:59 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Fleastiff
Flights over Antartica?

Didn't New Zealand have some real problems with a sightseeing flight they re-routed electronically without telling the crew; flew it straight into the highest mountain around during a whiteout.

Yes, good memory: Air New Zealand Flight 901.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
November 20th, 2017 at 1:53:26 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Wizard
Yes, good memory: Air New Zealand Flight 901.

I incorporated the 1979 tourist flight into my map. The green routes are three existing routes, plus flight 901 (which didn't actually land in Antartica). It hit the mountain at an altitude of only 1500' as it was flying very low for the tourists.

The red routes are potential future routes which would fly closer or over Antartica. Buenos Aires to Shanghai are the two largest cities which are closest to antipodes. Perth would be close to the great circle route roughly midway.
November 21st, 2017 at 6:55:13 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote:
Seeking to prove that a conspiracy of astronauts fabricated the shape of the Earth, a California man intends to launch himself 1,800 feet high on Saturday in a rocket he built from scrap metal.

Assuming the 500-mph, mile-long flight through the Mojave Desert does not kill him, Mike Hughes told the Associated Press, his journey into the atmosflat will mark the first phase of his ambitious flat-Earth space program.

Hughes’s ultimate goal is a subsequent launch that puts him miles above the Earth, where the 61-year-old limousine driver hopes to photograph proof of the disc we all live on.

R.I.P.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/this-man-is-about-to-launch-himself-in-his-homemade-rocket-to-prove-the-earth-is-flat/ar-BBFs6N8?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 21st, 2017 at 7:25:41 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: rxwine

Darwin award nominee..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 22nd, 2017 at 6:38:14 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: rxwine

1,800 ft high? he can drive to Mexico City and attain a higher altitude!
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 22nd, 2017 at 7:07:04 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: Nareed
1,800 ft high? he can drive to Mexico City and attain a higher altitude!

He can't afford a plane ticket and get to 30,000 feet?
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
November 22nd, 2017 at 7:27:22 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I wonder, do these people who believe the Earth to be flat, also believe the Sun, the Moon, the planets and the stars are also flat? or si the Earth special for some reason?

A flat star, including the Sun, wouldn't be able to start and support fusion.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 22nd, 2017 at 9:58:53 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
I wonder, do these people who believe the Earth to be flat, also believe the Sun, the Moon, the planets and the stars are also flat? or si the Earth special for some reason?

A flat star, including the Sun, wouldn't be able to start and support fusion.

you're being too logical

playing devil's advocate, though, a disc-shape is a naturally developing phenomenon in the universe [but it is the norm for very large systems , not planet sized systems]*

*the explanation for large galaxy sized things tending to develop into a disc instead of staying a sphere is something like this: a huge cloud of gas will start to collapse due to gravity, maintaining a spherically original shape. But it is virtually impossible that such a sphere would not begin to rotate due to the conservation of angular momentum. Due to the way distinct objects tend to interact [slingshot effects] the sphere then tends to throw out some objects at the equator , the beginnings of a disc shape. Due to this the poles tend to flatten down [what I read said this is less intuitive]. This just continues until you get more of a disc and much less of a sphere
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
November 22nd, 2017 at 10:44:56 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: odiousgambit
you're being too logical

playing devil's advocate, though, a disc-shape is a naturally developing phenomenon in the universe [but it is the norm for very large systems , not planet sized systems]*

*the explanation for large galaxy sized things tending to develop into a disc instead of staying a sphere is something like this: a huge cloud of gas will start to collapse due to gravity, maintaining a spherically original shape. But it is virtually impossible that such a sphere would not begin to rotate due to the conservation of angular momentum. Due to the way distinct objects tend to interact [slingshot effects] the sphere then tends to throw out some objects at the equator , the beginnings of a disc shape. Due to this the poles tend to flatten down [what I read said this is less intuitive]. This just continues until you get more of a disc and much less of a sphere

So the flatearthers are right but just ahead of their time. Eventually the earth will go from round to disc to flat.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
November 22nd, 2017 at 1:27:19 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

I don't think so. The reason is because they don't look flat. I suspect they think the sun is rather small.

Page 8 of 9« First<56789>