Sheldon Cooper's Lament

Page 3 of 3<123
March 1st, 2013 at 10:19:01 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: Pacomartin
Yes, I meant Piccadilly. I had Paddington on the brain. And yes I also mean Portsmouth. There was a big naval research center there.

That was my guess, knowing you were into the naval research.. though Plymouth also has a naval dock (Devonport).

Cheers!
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
March 2nd, 2013 at 4:32:50 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
The research lab was in Wool, Dorset which has a population of about 4000, and no hotels. Most of the time I stayed in Weymouth on the beach in aging hotels. UK is shutting down a lot of it's research labs since they no longer expect to go to war.

I always feel like I've gone back a few decades in Dorset. Wikipedia says that they have a lot of retirement age citizens, and Around 97.93% of Dorset's population are of white ethnicity. Such places don't exist anymore in the USA as even Maine is 94.3% White (not Hispanic) and Maine has the least ethnic diversity of any state and lowest birthrate in the USA. Everyone would point out that Dorset had more sheep than people.

We would drive by buildings, and people would say that this building has been here since Domesday. I was proud that I was the only American who knew what "Domesday" meant, since most other people assumed that the Brits were saying "Doomsday", which sounds puzzling.
March 3rd, 2013 at 1:03:17 PM permalink
theodores
Threads: 2
Quote: Pacomartin
The research lab was in Wool, Dorset which has a population of about 4000, and no hotels. Most of the time I stayed in Weymouth on the beach in aging hotels. UK is shutting down a lot of it's research labs since they no longer expect to go to war.
According to Google there is a small B&B called The Withies in Wool. There is also East Burton House. When I visited Charlbury, Oxon., there was a small hotel with a pub and about three B&B's. I arrived late at night with no reservations anywhere, and I walked up to one of the B&B's and knocked on the door. (About 10 P.M.). They were closed but they called another B&B to come pick me up. I was surprised at how friendly they were and how reasonable the price was: 27L (about $45 U.S. at the time). Most B&B's in the U.S. are around $100 per night and cater to couples in tourist and resort areas. B&B's in England are everywhere. At any rate, it was cheaper and more comfortable than a hotel, although further from the city center.
March 3rd, 2013 at 3:35:13 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: theodores
\]According to Google there is a small B&B called The Withies in Wool.

The Navy organization on the site of the old UKAEA Winfrith Nuclear Power used to give us a recommended list of hotels in Weymouth or Dorchester, and people would stop by an pick us up in the morning. We had a party in Weymouth. Government allowance was $160 per night for a hotel, so most places were affordable.

Automatic cars in the UK cost a fortune to rent, and standard shift cars were merely expensive. As the you normally fly at night to the UK, being confronted with a standard shift car that you shift with your left hand, and driving on the wrong side of the road after no sleep at night is daunting. I preferred to try and manage without an automobile and take trains.
Page 3 of 3<123