Does Religion Make People Moral?

December 6th, 2017 at 10:26:26 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
but our understanding of the objective moral truths for all of humanity is better understood and followed over time?

You are saying exactly what I said, with different
words. Morality is a moving target, it changes
with the times. There is no moral truth written
in stone, they're all written in shifting sands.

This country, for instance, wasn't founded on
Christian values like everybody says it was.
Unless slavery, genocide, women's rights
and considering Africans to be not human
so they could be prevented from voting were
Christian values at that time.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 7th, 2017 at 6:30:29 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
There is no circumstance for example that would make it moral to kill an innocent person.

I'd advise anyone close to you to put some distance between them and you, so as not to catch any splatter when Jehovah decides to smite you :) (*)

Let's see:

1) It would be immoral for, say, a union boss to kill the first born son of every company stockholder, in order to force the CEO to approve a new contract. But it would be moral for a deity to do so.

2) It would have been immoral for, say, Ronald Reagan to have launched a nuclear strike on the USSR, as that would likely kill, oh, 70% of the world's population. It was moral for a god to drown 99.99999999999% of the world's population.

3) It would be immoral to torture a dog in order to win a bet (or for any other reason). But torturing a person and killing their family to win a bet is the god's prerogative.

So which is it? Is your god moral and did you just insult him, or is your god a typical human creation of the bronze age?

(*) Lucky for you, and people close to you, the power of imaginary beings to do anything is very small.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
December 7th, 2017 at 8:57:57 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Yes God is moral and there is no insult to my God, the Lord Jesus Christ in anything I said.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
December 7th, 2017 at 9:02:19 AM permalink
Nareed
Yes God is moral and there is no insult to my God, the Lord Jesus Christ in anything I said.

So it's moral for a god to commit torture, murder, mass murder and genocide, but not for humans to do so.

Good to know your god needs to learn morality from us.
December 7th, 2017 at 9:02:23 AM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Evenbob
You are saying exactly what I said, with different
words. Morality is a moving target, it changes
with the times. There is no moral truth written
in stone, they're all written in shifting sands.

Bob, you can be fairly certain that if you think I ever said exactly what you said then you are wrong.

Morality is written in stone and humanity is in a constant journey to further understand this objective morality and to strive to live it more fully. We are helped along the way by God revealing for the vast majority of people through the religions that claim to rise from Abraham things like the 10 commandments and the teachings of Jesus Christ. Other religions also can through God's providence shine light on the objective moral truths for all of humanity as well.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
December 7th, 2017 at 9:06:23 AM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Nareed
So it's moral for a god to commit torture, murder, mass murder and genocide, but not for humans to do so.

Good to know your god needs to learn morality from us.

It's not moral for anyone to do the things you mentioned. One thing you are referencing is a fictional story of Job meant to teach a lesson, one thing is a specific attack on a people who enslaved innocents and killed their children, the third was a legendary story about a world so corrupt that everyone besides one family who was good is punished for their sins. There is no torture, murder of innocents, or genocide. You need to learn the Scriptures a little better I think.
December 7th, 2017 at 10:10:16 AM permalink
Nareed
It's not moral for anyone to do the things you mentioned. One thing you are referencing is a fictional story of Job meant to teach a lesson, one thing is a specific attack on a people who enslaved innocents and killed their children, the third was a legendary story about a world so corrupt that everyone besides one family who was good is punished for their sins. There is no torture, murder of innocents, or genocide. You need to learn the Scriptures a little better I think.

What's the morality of libeling real deities in fictional stories? Should you repeat the stories of Job and the flood, or is that blasphemy?

Lastly, do you really believe it's right and moral to kill someone's child to get a third person to do something? Would you be justified in killing, say, a child of a republican in your neighborhood in order to get Trump to resign? Shouldn't you and other devout Catholics go on a mass killing spree of first-born children to pressure the Supreme Court to ban abortion?
December 7th, 2017 at 10:36:54 AM permalink
FrGamble
You say this as if the Egyptians besides Pharaoh had no idea what was going on. You seem to think that a society that allows and supports the slavery of people and the killing of children is innocent. You also seem to forget the many warnings and miraculous signs God gave to the Egyptians to stop their slavery and evil treatment of the Israelites. The sad reality of sin and evil is that it causes not just the guilty, but all of us to suffer.
December 7th, 2017 at 10:41:33 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
The sad reality of sin

I love that you spend all day worrying
about offending a god that doesn't
even exist. It makes me feel very superior
somehow..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 7th, 2017 at 10:56:19 AM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
I don't think this is true. There is no circumstance for example that would make it moral to kill an innocent person. Some people would point to war as a circumstance that makes killing the innocent moral, but nobody really holds to this. It may be an unavoidable consequence of war but in war if you purposely sought ways to kill the innocent you would be immoral and a war criminal.

The other danger of this idea of morality is determining who decides what circumstance would make an evil act a good one? If it is you yourself who determine that because of my unique circumstance I can kill this innocent person it is dangerous relativism and I become the arbiter of what is right or wrong. If you place society as the judge of when circumstances make a normally immoral act moral you end up with things like slavery.

An act simply cannot become moral in one circumstance and immoral in another. In a similar way an immoral act cannot become a moral act based on the ends it achieves. The ends do not justify the means.

Would it be moral to steal medicine to save a dying child?