1 vote (25%)
No votes (0%)
1 vote (25%)
No votes (0%)

4 members have voted

December 4th, 2017 at 4:30:45 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Beverly Hills banned those things decades ago.

One guy had the best solution: he mounted a leaf blower on his kid's toy truck so now the kid pedals around the yard blowing the leaves away.

Have you tried telling one of those noisy workmen to Go Get His Shine Box or something similar. Perhaps something about an offer he can't refuse.

PS: Which kind of 'rake' you talking about: a garden implement, a poker 'tax' or a scoundrel?
December 4th, 2017 at 5:21:41 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Fleastiff
PS: Which kind of 'rake' you talking about: a garden implement, a poker 'tax' or a scoundrel?

Reminds of what the funniest thing to ever happen on Jeopardy, at least that I've seen.

Direct link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoPFkjF-Bdo
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
December 4th, 2017 at 5:48:21 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
I thought the question was about a bunch of Scandinavians.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
December 4th, 2017 at 7:27:35 PM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
I moved into the Summerhill Point apartments in Summerlin, at West Sahara and Fort Apache back in June 2009. That place had a horrible leaf blower problem, workers blowing dust from one side of the parking lot to the other every single morning starting at 7am. Even Sundays. Even holidays. Went on for 2 hours every single day for no apparent reason. Just blowing up clouds of dust, then blowing the settled dust back again to the other side of the parking lot. I saw no good reason for this, just coating my cars in dust every. single. day. And the annoying noise was intolerable.

As a poker player, I was often getting home at that time and wanted sleep. I complained to the office and was told "WE don't do it. We have a contract with a company that doers it, and they blow dust before it gets too hot in the day". What crap. After a year of this nonsense, I moved closer to the Strip, and made posts to apartment-finder-type websites to warn others of the idiotic practice of leaf-blowing (well, dust-blowing), when Vegas has no leaves anyway. It was dust fer Crissakes. Every. flippin'. day.

The new apartment complex did not have ANY stupid leaf-blowing. But crime was worse. Homelessness was worse. Vegas wasn't for me.
December 4th, 2017 at 7:33:30 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: zippyboy
I moved into the Summerhill Point apartments in Summerlin, ...

Thanks for sharing in my pain. My first home in Vegas was close to there, in Peccole Ranch.

I wish Vegas would wake up and end its denial about being in the desert and landscape with cacti and plants that don't hog a lot of water, like they do in Phoenix. That would certainly cut back on the use of leaf blowers too.
December 5th, 2017 at 1:28:08 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Requiring native plants would improve allergen counts. Too many people moved to Arizona and brought their plants from back east so that Arizona no longer was a refuge for tuberculosis patients or other patients with lung problems.

Vegas would benefit from 'dry landscaping' but those HOA management types want their 'cut' for hiring contractors and so the dust blowing continues not so much for the benefit of the residents but for the benefit of the HOA board members. Its hard to drum up a water-saving mania when there are fountains on the strip spewing water, albeit well water.

See if you can find an area that was over built before the crash and the shopping centers are all bankrupt and so are the residential buildings. Maybe then tenants will have clout, but otherwise no one cares if its noisy for you or not.
December 5th, 2017 at 3:40:31 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Wizard

I wish Vegas would wake up and end its denial about being in the desert and landscape with cacti and plants that don't hog a lot of water, like they do in Phoenix. That would certainly cut back on the use of leaf blowers too.

I think you will get your wish the next 20 years, though Vegas and the southwest will learn the hard way as water dries up. I never got why they had those mini-lawns in Phoenix. Easterners thinking they could bring the east with them. I would have done the zeroscape thing if I had bought out there.

Are all Vegas apartments as bad as you guys keep making them out to be? Between here and other places it feels like almost everything is a glorified short-term hotel with all the problems such a place has.
The President is a fink.
December 5th, 2017 at 6:32:47 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: AZDuffman
Are all Vegas apartments as bad as you guys keep making them out to be? Between here and other places it feels like almost everything is a glorified short-term hotel with all the problems such a place has.

I lived in these apartments my first six months in Vegas. It was kind of pricey but nice. I got the feeling most renters were like me -- not there for very long.
December 5th, 2017 at 6:55:55 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Wizard
I lived in these apartments my first six months in Vegas. It was kind of pricey but nice. I got the feeling most renters were like me -- not there for very long.

That does look much nicer than I pictured based on what you guys have described. Not all that different than some Phoenix places. FWIW any place I have been renters seem to be 12-18 months or else stay forever.

One of first roommates in Phoenix later went to somewhere kind of like this. Loads of amenities but had the feel of being transient. We set the alarm in the community room off when he gave me the tour, but that is another story.
The President is a fink.
December 5th, 2017 at 6:56:46 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: AZDuffman

I lived in apartments my first four years in Las Vegas while I was saving for a house. I had no issues.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
Page 2 of 3<123>