Monty Hall

March 1st, 2013 at 12:51:28 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Just watched this:

They brought back Monty Hall for 50 years anniversery of Let's Make a Deal

So, they put him out there to do one deal (also with his original female model on stage)

He offers a woman a roll of money or a curtain on the stage. The roll of money has a one dollar bill around it, so she doesn't know how much money is in it. She decides to keep the money.

Monty opens the curtain to see what she gave up --- $24,000 car

SO, he then offers her another curtain, or keep that same roll. She opts to keep the money again.

Monty opens the curtain ---- $16,000 car.

SO THEN, HE OFFERS HER A THIRD DEAL. Another curtain or the same roll of money. She figures it can't be another car, so keeps the money.

IT'S ANOTHER $16,000 CAR.

So, she gets the roll of money. $2000.

I imagine she will remember that for a long time. I would have figured, if they're bringing Monty on as a special event, they'll probably going to give him a pretty good deal to offer behind the curtain. So, I would have picked the curtain.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 1st, 2013 at 1:49:10 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Hehe... Maybe it was the muffled sound of farm animals behind the curtains that threw her off.

Were all three curtains available the first go round? Or was it a take it or leave it proposition? If only a single curtain option, I find it interesting that the first was the most valuable. If she had chosen it, would they have revealed the lesser value prizes?
March 1st, 2013 at 2:11:54 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: Ayecarumba
Were all three curtains available the first go round? Or was it a take it or leave it proposition? If only a single curtain option, I find it interesting that the first was the most valuable. If she had chosen it, would they have revealed the lesser value

There wasn't an indication on this one that he was going to make any additional offer besides curtain or money. So, I don't think he would have gone on if she had picked the curtain on the first deal. I imagine the way they set it up, they were pretty sure that Monty would give away a car, which always generates the most excitement. Probably figured the multiple curtain would ensure the contestent would pick one.

Instead, she managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. (however the phrase goes) Well she did win a pretty good prize at least, but it was kinda sad in a funny way.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 1st, 2013 at 4:59:14 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rxwine
Just watched this:

So, they put him out there to do one deal (also with his original female model on stage)

Offer $10,000 to any contestant who can show him an ounce of self-respect.
The President is a fink.
March 1st, 2013 at 8:20:18 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: AZDuffman

Comparatively, (and unfortunately) there's numorous reality shows that make LMAD quite tame in that area.
March 2nd, 2013 at 8:10:06 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Comparatively, (and unfortunately) there's numorous reality shows that make LMAD quite tame in that area.

So much of society has become a version of the town drunk I. An old western. Throw a quarter in a dirty spittoon and they will fight each other to see who debts to stick their hand in to get it.
The President is a fink.
June 24th, 2014 at 12:46:37 PM permalink
Greasyjohn
Threads: 6
Just watched this:

I know this thread is from last year, but I'm curious about what you mean. Do you think contestants on TV game shows humiliate or degrade themselves by being on them?
June 24th, 2014 at 2:13:56 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Greasyjohn
Just watched this:

I know this thread is from last year, but I'm curious about what you mean. Do you think contestants on TV game shows humiliate or degrade themselves by being on them?

Not all game shows, for example "Jeopardy" shows smart people and how much they know; "WoF" is dignified. But "Lets Make a Deal" always seemed like the kind of people who you could offer $25 to roll in the mud if you saw them in a park and they would. Just not my thing.
The President is a fink.
June 24th, 2014 at 3:18:44 PM permalink
Greasyjohn
Threads: 6
Quote: Greasyjohn
Just watched this:

Not all game shows, for example "Jeopardy" shows smart people and how much they know; "WoF" is dignified. But "Lets Make a Deal" always seemed like the kind of people who you could offer $25 to roll in the mud if you saw them in a park and they would. Just not my thing.

Okay. Got it.