3 votes (42.85%)
No votes (0%)
3 votes (42.85%)

7 members have voted

March 24th, 2019 at 3:42:33 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: rxwine
I don't necessarily disagree with you. In order to be a responsible, you probably need to do a lot of things other dog owners don't have to do with their biting chihuahua size dogs. Or be prepared to take the consequences if you don't or if your dog outwits your efforts to keep it from harming someone or some other animal. You may check for holes under the fence, but a dog that size could dig one in a day after you checked.
I had a mini ranch for awhile with chickens , rabbits and goats etc. When neighbors let their dogs run, it was devastating to a flock or herd.
People don't understand [or care] that owners can get just as attached to a goat or chicken as they can to their dogs. Our goats when they were baby's were bottle fed and lived in the house in a box for a short time. They were every bit the pet a dog can be, riding around in the truck, wanting to be petted, following you around the farm. It's crushing when loose dogs are on the prowl and kill a dozen chickens [for sport] or give your pet goat a heart attack, or cause momma bunnies to eat the heads off their baby's from fear of being barked at, although they lived in a fine established hutch and a well fenced ranch.
It was easy to tell the dog owners that actually tried to keep their dogs home, from the ones who thought they were tricky and/or let their dogs run at night and let them in in the morning.
The trouble makers are usually the same, [teenage dogs] and new country folk time after time. But I still really like dogs. And often I would catch and return the dogs to their owners. Just caught one here in town a couple months ago. It had a license and a phone # on it's tag, so I called the owner and left a message. I called animal control and left my #, I walked around the neighborhood and knocked on some doors. Then drove around the block looking for anyone searching for a dog. Finally found a guy walking with just a dog leash. Turned out to be the owner. He said he bailed the dog out a few days prior and the fines are Martingaled.

I'm not going to go to that length for a pit bull. If it's running down the street, I hope a car hits it. But often times I notice those types of dogs are also the ones without "tags" and ID. ssdd

So yeah, a big part of the problem is the owners. Using a similar reasoning as to why people can't own machine guns and rockets, I feel there needs to be some attempt to control the numbers of these killer dogs. I don't care if people want to have them, but I want them to keep their pitbulls controlled. Another thing the animal shelters do is "chip" them. That is a pretty good idea.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
February 3rd, 2020 at 7:51:46 PM permalink
petroglyph
https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/phoenix/2020/01/08/pitbull-mauls-2-year-old-girl-gets-shot-and-killed/2850363001/

"The 2-year-old girl and her mother were at the home near 35th Avenue and Indian School Road when the pitbull "jumped up and snatched" the child out of her mother's arms and began mauling her,"
February 3rd, 2020 at 8:05:11 PM permalink
petroglyph
https://www.fatalpitbullattacks.com/children-killed-by-pit-bulls.php

victim #184
Julian Connell
The number of U.S. children killed by a pit bull since 1998, when the CDC stopped tracking breed data.
February 22nd, 2020 at 12:18:00 AM permalink
petroglyph
February 22nd, 2020 at 12:48:46 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
extremely unusual situation.
Small dog.
Running from afar.
Approaches two adults and toddler and lunges at brightly dressed toddler.

i wonder what had happened to provoke this? Penned up unsocialized dog? Prior attack by someone?
February 22nd, 2020 at 7:13:41 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Quote: Fleastiff
Approaches two adults and toddler and lunges at brightly dressed toddler.

i wonder what had happened to provoke this?

Nothing. All terriers are natural born killers. That is what there were bred for. Doesn't matter whether it is a tea cup yorkie or a pit bull. The smaller ones kill rats and rabbits, the larger ones attack larger prey. Toddlers are the perfect size for a pit bull.
February 22nd, 2020 at 8:13:18 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Ah, memories.

Fight or flight's a bitch. 'Specially because they always leave the most important one out - freeze. This stirs up some emotions.

Dog's limbs are like a toddlers, and bones have roughly the properties of oak. Any reasonably accommodated man should be able to snap limbs with just wrist strength. Do so.

Phalanges even more so. Grab a foot and squeeze. Bonus points for grinding. You'll get bit, but you're bigger than a toddler. Soak it.

I hear tell the hip grab is good for separation. Do not forget the follow through. It's hip grab and pull up to cause a release. Do not forget to also put them back down with authority. Swinging motions should cause centrifugal to keep its head away from you, so keep swinging until building up sufficient energy to slam it into the ground. Keep doing so until pieces of the head fall off.

Dogs don't have shoulders like us, they don't do "out" without snapping. So make them go "out". They'll quit whatever they're doing.

Dog's not a cat. Control the head and you win every time. A controlled head may bite, but it can't shake the meat off your bones.

Keep it in front of you. You can't reach behind. If it bites your leg you are strong enough to choke it out by hand. If it bites your hand you are strong enough to choke it out by leg. Do so. Cinch in deep and hold for five minutes. Save just enough energy to do the same to owner. This goes for limb snaps and swing slams, too. Don't forget the owner.

Dogs are stupid and don't understand items. Whatever you're carrying is "you", and should be used as a shield. Purse, man bag, Amazon package, Chinese take out, coat/sweater, whatever. Hold it in front like a shield and that's what they'll bite. My personal success with this rests at 100%.

Gut punts work a treat for release as well. Won't stop em, won't calm em down, but they'll let go.

Don't panic. You spaz out and you're gonna fall and get your face chewed. Square up like any other fight. Legs heal better than necks, and a solid right cross'll drop a dog quick as anyone else.

Don't be a pussy. The only times I've seen an attack stop with one action is either by the owner grabbing it or striking it so hard you struck it dumb. Pull it off and it's >50% chance it comes back. If you've got hands on it, finish the job. Kill that mf'er until it's dead.

Dog spray works amazing. Can confirm it hurts more than a bite, can confirm you'll wish you just got chewed instead. But also can confirm you can remedy it for free for $0 and no heal time / scars / surgery / dismemberment / PTSD. It's like $3 and is the size of a hotel shampoo. Get some. It's good s#$%.

Source: Federal and farmboy, USPS record of 5-0-0 with 1 KO.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
February 22nd, 2020 at 8:37:26 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: Face
Source: Federal and farmboy, USPS record of 5-0-0 with 1 KO.
LOL

describe that KO - or maybe you already did, but how about a refresher if so
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
February 22nd, 2020 at 9:11:18 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Tanko
Nothing. All terriers are natural born killers.
But-alll dogs can count. 1,2,3, many. Why would attackA group?
February 22nd, 2020 at 11:51:00 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: odiousgambit
LOL

describe that KO - or maybe you already did, but how about a refresher if so

Aw, man. That was the first in what would become a regular habit of me crying at work =p

Twas an "unreadable" dog, so I took no chances. Always whistled, scuffed feet, made noise cause you could never tell where it was. It wasn't quick and sneaky, it was dumb and possibly deaf-ish. I would often break property before it came rushing around the house or out the shrubbery, but I was always on guard and vigilant so always made it back to the road.

House was a multi million on the lake, had a complicated porch. 7-8 steps to a landing, then 90* turn and 7-8 more steps to the main porch. I would climb 5 steps of the first then just lean, flip the parcel onto the upper porch. Soon as it hit, the void under the porch explodes. Son of a bitch was either sleeping or setting me up and now here he comes.

Spry as I am I just sprung backwards landing in the drive and started backing up. Bastard comes straight out. A mix of job training and my defensive nature means I know the driveway is a mess; despite the million dollar property, these people were a bit scum-ish and their property was nearing hoarder levels of garbage. I know it's not an easy, straight shot back out the property. I'm backing up hands out yelling at it "No" "Stop" "HEY", doesn't flinch. Lunges to bite and I shuck it. Soon as it lands it lunges again, I jive it. Couldn't even tell you exactly what it was, but some part of my awareness and my defensive nature told me I backed into a corner and I just lost it. Soon as that jive landed that foot dug in and I uncorked a right cross fit to crack the moon in half. Caught him in mid lunge solid in the side of his skull.

Dog went straight over backwards and flopped like a thawed steak on the driveway. Just laid there seizing and twitching. I thought I killed it dead. Experience taught me to punch through things, and I have never uncorked on anything the way I uncorked on that gods be damned dog. Scampered my way out the garbage and by the time I made the road he was struggling to his feet. Wobbled a bit to the end of the drive like always, then sat and brayed at me like always.

I can confirm I did not kill it, and it lived at least a year after that incident. But I shook like a crack feen for at least 10 miles, and cried most of the rest of my shift. You hunt, you know how it can be.

Would you know I got threatened with termination for it? Being good little chattel like I am, I reported damage to property, case the bastard died. I got yelled at for not carrying my satchel (I'm rural, we don't have satchels) for not carrying my dog spray (I'm rural, we are not issued dog spray) and when informing THE POSTMASTER of his error, he stated that I "couldn't just go around smoking dogs" (as if this was something I decided to do on a whim) and "if it requires medical, you're gone".

So yeah, I've little tolerance these days. I've not a single bit of back up, not from my job, not from their medical, and if your dog f#$%s me up, I'm up the creek without either. I might cry for a week, and I would, but if it comes for me I'm doing whatever it takes bar not one thing to end the threat.

*Lab and retriever owners, please disregard all. Leave them somewhere the mailman can get to them, and vice versa. We're a tired, damaged group of people and we could use their healing touch <3
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
Page 5 of 6« First<23456>