Spoiler Dicussion of The Last Jedi

Page 2 of 5<12345>
December 18th, 2017 at 6:28:29 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
"Does anything from the movies ever work?" Homer Simpson.

When watching a movie, or some types of TV, it is good to keep in mind movies operate in a distinct fictional universe where commonsense rules and even laws of nature don't apply.

If a hegemonic force had worn down resistance against it to a handful of people, they'd be deliriously happy and could declare victory. In Star Wars universe, this constitutes a defeat for the First Order!

Take it for what it is and move on.

If you must rant and rail against such things, console yourself with the many movie myths examined by the Mythbusters over the years. A few, surprisingly, turned out to be real. They even did a whole episode of Star Wars myths.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
December 18th, 2017 at 8:31:50 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
There seems to be a significant portion of fans who HATE The Last Jedi. (Perhaps not a significant portion based on the box office numbers, but they're very vocal).

I think at least part of what it boils down to is the fact that this movie takes a lot of the questions they've debated for two years and pretty much disregards them.

Who is Snoke? Who cares, he's dead now.
Who are Rey's parents? Who cares, they were nobodies.
What will Luke do when Rey returns his lightsaber? Throw it off a cliff.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
December 18th, 2017 at 9:13:05 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: ams288
I think at least part of what it boils down to is the fact that this movie takes a lot of the questions they've debated for two years and pretty much disregards them.

Who is Snoke? Who cares, he's dead now.
Who are Rey's parents? Who cares, they were nobodies.

There were cool fan theories for both of them being a reincarnation of Darth Vader (not at the same time, naturally).

But, really, I expected to learn something about Snoke. Not so much who he is, but how he got there. And more so about Rey.

I think many expected a battle between Luke and Rey on one side and Kylo and the oft-mentioned Knights of Ren on the other.

Quote:
What will Luke do when Rey returns his lightsaber? Throw it off a cliff.

That was a priceless scene.

BTW, Kylo Ren has surpassed his grandfather. Vader needed Luke's help to oust the Emperor, and couldn't secure that. Kylo killed his Supreme Leader and took over without even hesitating.

Next he should get rid of Hux. I mean, not only did he lose a dreadnought, but he was also incapable of chasing down and destroying a few ships.
December 18th, 2017 at 6:07:38 PM permalink
Nareed
Noteworthy observations after having seen TLJ:

1) The last Jedi to defeat a Sith was Anakin Skywalker when he took out Count Dooku.

2) Rey leads the pack of protagonists with the most limbs still attached after two movies.
December 19th, 2017 at 5:44:53 AM permalink
ddloml
Threads: 1
There is a lot of forced humor in the film, most of which was not funny. The only spot where I laughed audibly was the homage to 'Hardware Wars' in which there was a closeup of the irons on the First Order ship.
December 19th, 2017 at 6:28:22 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: ddloml
There is a lot of forced humor in the film, most of which was not funny. The only spot where I laughed audibly was the homage to 'Hardware Wars' in which there was a closeup of the irons on the First Order ship.

I found Poe's stalling with Hux to be hilarious. It even rings true. Luke dusting off his shoulder after taking an artillery barrage at close range was good. Also when he says "Every word you said is wrong." Lastly Chewie and the Porgs(*) had their moments.

(*) Didn't Chewie and the Porgs open for Cheap Trick in the 80s? ;)
December 19th, 2017 at 7:19:34 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
I thought the judgmental fish nuns were funny.

“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
December 19th, 2017 at 8:10:19 AM permalink
Nareed
We know TLJ was not written by the same person who wrote TFA. But it seems as though they didn't even tell each other what the overall plot was for the trilogy. in part that's because expectations raised in TFA were not addressed in TLJ. Things like who is Snoke, who are Rey's parents, who are Finn's parents, etc. But also Luke is not going to come to save the day (though he kind of does), or even to train Rey (we just have to assume an uncanny natural talent for light sabre handling as well as all things Jedi).

But also there's a problem with how the situation in the galaxy is portrayed, or rather not portrayed. At the end of TFA we knew the Republic was heavily damaged, we did not know it was gone. The Resistance seemed about the same, minus a few fighters and people, not in its last legs.

So it was kind of like we were looking at a parallel universe.

BTW, for once the ominous bad guy with the cape and mask is the lead bad guy and not the underling, muscle, or enforcer.
December 20th, 2017 at 12:01:59 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Just saw it
3d imax
Loved it
Very entertaining
I walked out a happy movie goer
I love it when we 1st see Luke, he's handed the old light saber
Everybody is expecting some deep comment or reaction and instead he chucks it aside.
The battles were great
Really liked Rose.
Great story.
At 11 bucks, I thought it was a bargain
Not too crowded since I saw the early showing, 1130am and Jumangi opened today

I saw a poster for A wrinkle in time
cool. Loved the book
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
December 20th, 2017 at 2:32:45 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Re: Rey's parents - could be a lie. They didn't do the whole seek it in your heart you know it to be true thing.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Page 2 of 5<12345>