2018 Dead Pool

February 6th, 2018 at 3:19:41 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: Wizard
I can top that, Estelle Getty, born 7/25/23, who played Sophia Petrillo, Dorothy's mother on the Golden Girls, was actually younger than Bea Arthur, born 5/13/22, who played Dorothy, in real life.

Gtfo. I did not think there was anything anyone could tell me about the GG's that would surprise me. This very much did.

"Picture it: Sicily, 1922..."
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
February 6th, 2018 at 3:21:29 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
I didn't know either was gay. David Hyde Pierce doesn't surprise me.

It actually had at least 3. Dan Butler, the actor who played "Bulldog" Briscoe is gay.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
February 6th, 2018 at 3:30:52 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Evenbob
Some who knew him well
say he was a sex addict and would go
crazy at the Gay orgies, screwing as many
men as he could.

I wouldn't say that's "crazy." I'd say that's a fun Saturday night!
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
February 6th, 2018 at 3:45:06 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Face
Gtfo. I did not think there was anything anyone could tell me about the GG's that would surprise me. This very much did.

"Picture it: Sicily, 1922..."

"Ma" was great wasn't she? My second favorite character next to Dorothy.

Okay, be prepared to be tortured with Golden Girls trivia the next time we meet.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
February 6th, 2018 at 4:09:28 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
"Ma" was great wasn't she? My second favorite character next to Dorothy.

Okay, be prepared to be tortured with Golden Girls trivia the next time we meet.

Lol, funny story. My ex-wife recently confronted me. Says my boy approached her uncomfortably stating "Daddy's show talks about sex all the time". Her wondering, and I quote "What in the hell is he watching around the kid?", asked me just that. And we both about died laughing when I answered "The Golden Girls" =)

I'm afraid I'd disappoint you in trivia. I can remember the obvious stuff; "Sicily", "Back in St. Olaf...", the fact that Stan is a no good, two timing cheapskate that doesn't deserve Dorothy,... you know, the obvious stuff. But I've seen your trivia. Been 8 or so years now and I'm only pulling about 60% in playing along.

An aside, but besides actually enjoying some of these shows, I find I am equally interested in if not outright shocked at how much culture has changed in just 20 - 30yrs. Some of the things said, while I remember them being perfectly normal to hear at one time, now beggars belief that it played at, like, 7p. On a Thursday night. On NBC. And I saw it as a little kid. Like, "6yrs old" little. It feels weird when my 9yr old happens to overhear a snippet now...
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
February 6th, 2018 at 4:42:04 PM permalink
Ibeatyouraces
Threads: 0
I can top that, Estelle Getty, born 7/25/23, who played Sophia Petrillo, Dorothy's mother on the Golden Girls, was actually younger than Bea Arthur, born 5/13/22, who played Dorothy, in real life.

Yeah but she had to be made up to look old.
February 21st, 2018 at 7:26:33 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Billy Grahm dead.

Preacher, not the wrestler.
The President is a fink.
February 21st, 2018 at 7:56:21 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: AZDuffman
Billy Grahm dead.

Finally.

Hope he enjoys burning in hell.

No, I don't believe in hell. But if I did, that bigot would be there.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
February 21st, 2018 at 9:29:16 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
One good thing I'll say about Billy is his long life seemed to be untouched by money or sex scandals, as seems the norm for televangelists.

One bad thing is I've never liked the tactic of the "alter call" to get converts. His crusades whipped the audience into an emotional state that climaxed with the alter call. The decision to follow any religion should be made with a clear head and after careful study of the the beliefs of said religion. It wouldn't surprise me of most of his crusade converts wake up the next morning and think, "What got into me yesterday?" and never follow up by going to church or reading the bible.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
February 21st, 2018 at 9:44:57 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
.... It wouldn't surprise me of most of his crusade converts wake up the next morning and think, "What got into me yesterday?" and never follow up by going to church or reading the bible.
That reminds me of those hard sell condo's in LV. Listen to the hard sales pitch until you weaken and think about buying a condo, next morning is all screaming, what did I do?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW