2018 Dead Pool

April 15th, 2018 at 5:31:05 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: AZDuffman
R. Lee Emery gone.

Word was he was just an advisor for "Full Metal Jacket" but he screamed profanity and insults for 20 minutes without stopping or repeating himself and got the actual job.

Full Metal Jacket is one of my favorite movies. I've watched a lot of videos and documentaries on the movie and they all confirm what you just said. That was absolutely perfect casting, wasn't it?! So good that I'm sure Ermey got typecast.

Much after that movie he had a show on cable where he answered questions about the military, mainly the Marines. Good show. I submitted a question to the show once but never heard anything back from them. I think the question was on the etiquette of when you're supposed to take your hat (or cover as they call it in the military) off and when you're allowed to wear a hat indoors.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
April 15th, 2018 at 5:33:13 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Wizard
When I was at Social Security I wanted to do a query if this was true but the data had only the month and year of death, not the day. I can say that I looked at specific dates of birth. More people are both in the spring and fall than the summer and winter but it isn't a strong thing, just 2% more or so. Evidently, people like to conceive in the summer and winter.

On that I would wonder if women conceive better at certain times of the year all else being equal.

FWIW the article I read was limited to Jewish people around Jewish holidays. Probably because of the same problem with getting stats you had.

Kind of interesting that they gave you some freedom to look at these kinds of things. Then again, I wonder if there is anything the government has not kept stats on.
The President is a fink.
April 15th, 2018 at 5:39:41 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Wizard

Full Metal Jacket is one of my favorite movies. I've watched a lot of videos and documentaries on the movie and they all confirm what you just said. That was absolutely perfect casting, wasn't it?! So good that I'm sure Ermey got typecast.

I heard that after the movie there was an small uproar over how recruits were treated. It was intentional, put as much stress on them as possible so if they are going to crack they do so early. I'd wager that at least most of the time at least one guy cracks up. My brother had a guy in his USAF group crack up, a mini story of itself. I had a college roommate crack up, another story.

Anyways, I remember on "60 Minutes" they had some DIs I forget what branch saying how they could not use profanity to recruits or other abusive behavior. This is when I was younger and had people my age going into the military. I asked a few about what I saw and the reply was always, "No profanity or abuse? My DI must have missed the memo."
The President is a fink.
April 15th, 2018 at 5:45:03 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Anyways, I remember on "60 Minutes" they had some DIs I forget what branch saying how they could not use profanity to recruits or other abusive behavior. This is when I was younger and had people my age going into the military. I asked a few about what I saw and the reply was always, "No profanity or abuse? My DI must have missed the memo."

A guy in the Marines told me the Drill instructors would hit recruits in the stomach with a broomstick in the closet where no one would see it. Double them over but leave little evidence.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 15th, 2018 at 6:06:03 PM permalink
Ibeatyouraces
Threads: 0
There was plenty of swearing when I went through navy boot camp in 93.
April 15th, 2018 at 6:16:02 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Art Bell found dead in his beloved desert. Who
could have seen that coming. He was a nut
job, but a talented one. Spent many years
listening to him 30 years ago.

Touching tribute:

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 15th, 2018 at 6:41:03 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Kind of interesting that they gave you some freedom to look at these kinds of things. Then again, I wonder if there is anything the government has not kept stats on.

It was necessary for my job to have access. Not many people had it. Definitely a "need to know" thing. There is plenty the government doesn't have stats on. At Social Security we only knew information pertinent to giving the right monthly benefit to the right person. Dates of birth, death, marriage, and divorce were pertinent to those calculations.
April 15th, 2018 at 6:47:44 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
I heard that after the movie there was an small uproar over how recruits were treated. It was intentional, put as much stress on them as possible so if they are going to crack they do so early.

I always thought a good business idea would be to have a military-style basic training for adults. The purpose would be to get them in physical and mental shape. I would be happy to go through it.

Most people I know who served in the military said basic training was the best part. After that, it was just a boring job.
April 15th, 2018 at 6:48:35 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Hey Wiz, didn't Art Bell live near or in Vegas?
Did you ever see him?
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 15th, 2018 at 6:54:31 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Evenbob
Hey Wiz, didn't Art Bell live near or in Vegas?
Did you ever see him?

I listened to your YouTube clip there. It said he lived in Pahrump, which is about 60 miles from Vegas. It is known for having the closest legal brothels to Las Vegas. The people that live there are kind of quirky.

No, can't say that I saw him. To be honest, I never heard of him before.