2018 Dead Pool

April 15th, 2018 at 7:56:41 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Wizard
No, can't say that I saw him. To be honest, I never heard of him before.

He was on the radio at night on 500 stations
for 25 years. Right there in NV, out of Vegas
in his early days. He averaged 15 million
listeners a night, show was called Coast to
Coast AM. He's the alien abduction and
Area 51 guy.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 15th, 2018 at 8:52:47 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Evenbob
He's the alien abduction and
Area 51 guy.

No wonder I haven't heard of him.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
April 16th, 2018 at 6:14:50 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Some upthread issues:

Living to reach a personally significant date. Rumors, no evidence.

Nutrition and exercise decline due to social isolation upon loss of spouse and empty nest syndrome.

Conception: a nutrition related event. Animals are born in the Spring and "die as the first snows of Winter fall upon the land". Antioxidant status at or around ovulation and subsequent four days can be critical. Traditional Scandinavian dish eaten at Yuletide radically affects fetal health and disease states. Probably critical at third month testosterone bath for brain orientation particularly since a female in the womb will share that testosterone bath the male fetus forces the mother's brain to give him. Women often complain of "Baby Brain" but it is indeed real.

Men and women who go through boot camp as civilians are lucky. That is the intelligence types who go thru The Farm instead of the military. Note: Military tests showing performance of yelled at recruits to civilly treated recruits being equal is an open secret. Every army does it. French Foreign Legion training is famous for turning men into mental patients or those who would be mental patients if they had that opportunity. SAS training forces you to adopt a pet rabbit then one day they walk in and order you to strangle it.

Platoon cast were taken on a week long 'bonding hike' and then filmed the movie in the same unlaundered clothes.
April 16th, 2018 at 6:58:56 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: Wizard
I always thought a good business idea would be to have a military-style basic training for adults. The purpose would be to get them in physical and mental shape. I would be happy to go through it.
It already exists in a variety of forms. See Re-Wilding. An offshoot of some Libertarian and Anarchist movements.

focus is on: encouraging selfishness, avoiding group think, avoiding compromise, rugged individualism, self sufficiency, combat skills.
April 16th, 2018 at 7:23:17 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Fleastiff
Note: Military tests showing performance of yelled at recruits to civilly treated recruits being equal is an open secret. Every army does it. French Foreign Legion training is famous for turning men into mental patients or those who would be mental patients if they had that opportunity. SAS training forces you to adopt a pet rabbit then one day they walk in and order you to strangle it.

This is what you have to do when your business is killing people.

Drone pilots are currently going nuts. They get no respect because they are not "real" pilots. They go to work in more or less an office park. However, most people who go to work in an office park do not kill people as part of their job. They are not out in the muck, but they kill daily.

This is just drone pilots. Guys in the field will be even more likely to crack. So you try to crack them in basic. Better there than in the field. These "performance" measures are not going to measure that.

I love the reality show "Escape to the Legion." One thing they pound into the heads of the recruits from Day 1 is "Don't think, JUST DO!" Yeah, today's military loves to tell how the soldiers are not robots, and how they think more for themselves. Lets not kid ourselves there. A huge part of being a soldier is to JUST DO.

Heck, I have had office jobs where they wanted us to JUST DO. You need JUST DO way more than anyone will admit.
The President is a fink.
April 16th, 2018 at 7:46:43 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: AZDuffman
One thing they pound into the heads of the recruits from Day 1 is "Don't think, JUST DO!"
Of course. Its always Zig or Zag but don't stand in the middle trying to think about it.

Drone pilots at Nellis will soon be obsolete as drones will be more autonomous.
April 16th, 2018 at 9:11:15 AM permalink
AZDuffman

IMHO they can be as autonomous as they want, a human still has to make the kill decision.
The President is a fink.
April 16th, 2018 at 10:14:58 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: AZDuffman
IMHO they can be as autonomous as they want, a human still has to make the kill decision.
Not if they have facial recognition programmed in, [by a human] they already have micro drones with that capability.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
April 16th, 2018 at 10:52:10 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239

I think the drones are flown out of Creech Air Force Base.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
April 16th, 2018 at 11:10:04 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: petroglyph
Not if they have facial recognition programmed in, [by a human] they already have micro drones with that capability.

You need way more than that. The entire situation must be assessed. Does it look like a military or peaceful target? What might the collateral damage be? Is the lead vehicle part of the convoy or a civilian car. 100s of other possibilities.

Humans will be taking care of the decision for a long time. If and when robots decide to kill or not, I really do not want to be alive, for the world will be a beyond scary place.
The President is a fink.