2018 Dead Pool

August 17th, 2018 at 3:22:04 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Wizard
I'm more than somewhat convinced that those who are gifted in any one area are lacking in others, usually in basic social skills.

I think that part is a result of concentrating on that thing. Because you are gifted in an area, you are drawn to it. Rarely do you find someone "gifted" in some skill they dislike. You are drawn, but good as well. You get encouraged. You get sucked in even more. More time alone, less with social skills.

FWIW I think the more intelligent you are in general the worse your social skills.
The President is a fink.
August 17th, 2018 at 3:32:55 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: AZDuffman
I think that part is a result of concentrating on that thing. Because you are gifted in an area, you are drawn to it. Rarely do you find someone "gifted" in some skill they dislike. You are drawn, but good as well. You get encouraged. You get sucked in even more. More time alone, less with social skills.

FWIW I think the more intelligent you are in general the worse your social skills.

I think that is part of it, but that most of it is that every brain is wired differently. I believe the social awkwardness you see in geniuses in math and science is genetic. I also believe those extremely gifted in anything tend to suffer from depression and other mental problems in much greater percentages than the population in general.

Quote: Aristotle
No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
August 17th, 2018 at 3:50:03 PM permalink
AZDuffman
I also believe those extremely gifted in anything tend to suffer from depression and other mental problems in much greater percentages than the population in general.

I think much of that comes from feeling like an "outsider" all of the time. These folks feel an outsider because lets be honest, they ARE outsiders. My life has been spent feeling like one. It isn't easy, and most people will crack.

Think about it. When you are at such a high level, you cannot enjoy so many things like normal people. Your mind is levels higher. This isolates you.
The President is a fink.
August 17th, 2018 at 3:51:59 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: AZDuffman
I think much of that comes from feeling like an "outsider" all of the time. These folks feel an outsider because lets be honest, they ARE outsiders. My life has been spent feeling like one. It isn't easy, and most people will crack.

Think about it. When you are at such a high level, you cannot enjoy so many things like normal people. Your mind is levels higher. This isolates you.

I disagree with you here. Mental illness is something you're born with. It doesn't help being isolated, but depressed people can have everything, and will still be depressed.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
August 17th, 2018 at 4:00:21 PM permalink
AZDuffman
I disagree with you here. Mental illness is something you're born with. It doesn't help being isolated, but depressed people can have everything, and will still be depressed.

I don't think it is classic depression. More being consumed with something. Like that "Seinfeld" where the discussed the composed who was consumed with just one note.
The President is a fink.
August 17th, 2018 at 5:38:45 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
I think it is like an obsession. They aren't just good at some things, they are also obsessed with being better, at the expense of everything else, and that might be where the awkwardness and depression comes from.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
August 18th, 2018 at 12:05:54 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
I wonder if the ability to think "deeply" about their genius area bleeds into thinking too deeply about things that need to be forgotten. Like how unpopular they are with the "in" crowd, or how memorizing physics formulas, anatomy diagrams, pro tips and coaching instructions doesn't translate to hitting a golf ball. There is a basic human desire to find acceptance socially or athletically, but in a genius, the desire center in the brain's wiring and/or chemical production may be turbo charged too, leading to stronger feelings of frustration and depression than "regular" folks. Not having an "off" switch can be a bad thing.

I think they can't stop thinking about whatever they are thinking about. This trait is what makes them a genius, but can also make them cling to things irrationally. Going down the rabbit hole...
August 24th, 2018 at 8:25:03 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
John McCain is discontinuing medical treatment for his brain cancer. Not a good sign.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
August 24th, 2018 at 11:39:11 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: ams288
John McCain is discontinuing medical treatment for his brain cancer. Not a good sign.

Great sign for the country, he's
fricking RINO. He's why I voted
for Obama in 08.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 24th, 2018 at 11:46:40 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Evenbob
Great sign for the country, he's
fricking RINO. He's why I voted
for Obama in 08.

Question is why has he not offered his resignation?
The President is a fink.