really just talented people screwing
around.

They would meet in Nashville twice a year
and make all the episodes for the year
in two weeks. The musicians wouldn't
do it any other way, too much time
off their touring schedule where the
real money was in those days.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 16th, 2018 at 9:59:56 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
3 hees and 2 haws is what Roy and Buck opened the show with. I knew that while avoiding watching it, but that was the days where we had 3 network channels and not much choice so sometimes did out of boredom.

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 16th, 2018 at 10:39:29 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: rxwine
3 hees and 2 haws is what Roy and Buck opened the show with. I knew that while avoiding watching it,]

I enjoyed it from time to time.
As did America, good ratings
for 25 years. It's from a different
era that's long gone now. We
weren't at each others throats
politically, driven by the ratings
whores in cable news. Nobody
was screaming about their gender,
or what bathrooms to use. I miss
those times.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 16th, 2018 at 10:53:58 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Evenbob
I enjoyed it from time to time.
As did America, good ratings
for 25 years. It's from a different
era that's long gone now. We
weren't at each others throats
politically, driven by the ratings
whores in cable news. Nobody
was screaming about their gender,
or what bathrooms to use. I miss
those times.

I miss the times, but do not miss "Hee Haw." As a kid I could not stand it nor the similar "Sha Na Na." Just do not like music driven shows like them I guess.
The President is a fink.
November 16th, 2018 at 11:15:33 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Quote: AZDuffman
I miss the times, but do not miss "Hee Haw." As a kid I could not stand it nor the similar "Sha Na Na." Just do not like music driven shows like them I guess.

I also did not like hee haw. I didn't watch Sha Na Na either, but I did like their closer "Good Night Sweetheart (It's Time to Go)"

They weren't just music-driven shows, they were caricatures of their respective styles.

Given that, I wasn't a fan of other music-driven shows either. What was there, Dance Fever, Soul Train, or even Name That Tune?
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
November 16th, 2018 at 11:57:25 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Dalex64

They weren't just music-driven shows, they were caricatures of their respective styles.

All those shows born in the 60's,
Beverly Hillbillies, Green Acres,
Andy Griffith, Petticoat Junction,
Hee Haw, were celebrating a time
in the US that was looked at with
nostalgia, the dumb hick rural
America from the earlier part
of the century. Long gone now.
November 16th, 2018 at 2:25:35 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
I also did not like hee haw. I didn't watch Sha Na Na either, but I did like their closer "Good Night Sweetheart (It's Time to Go)"

Given that, I wasn't a fan of other music-driven shows either. What was there, Dance Fever, Soul Train, or even Name That Tune?

Only think I sort of liked about Sha-Na-Na is they would do a skit to a novelty song sometimes. As to Dance Fever, Soul Train, et al really didn't watch since I did not like them. Just like I never got "American Idol" beyond the Simon comments. I was on a team of all women and me for awhile. Women loved AI. I think all the music shows that were not comedies skewed female. Never at all could figure out why.
The President is a fink.
November 16th, 2018 at 2:49:14 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73

Loved Don Kirshner's Rock Concert
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
November 16th, 2018 at 3:28:00 PM permalink
rxwine
I racked my brain for an old music based show I liked. I finally thought of the old Ed Sullivan show which I enjoyed. Don't even know if Ed would have a job today. By today's standards he would be an unusual host choice. But I think then, he was the force behind its creation which could be done back then in the earlier days of television.

(it was a variety show of course, but that's as close as I can come to finding something I liked)
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 16th, 2018 at 3:31:58 PM permalink
rxwine
I think the only variety shows we have today are now turned into game shows with judges.