zippyboy
Threads: 2
George Bush #41 dead at 94.
November 30th, 2018 at 9:28:39 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Just heard about 15 minutes ago.

George H. W. Bush was president during a very dark period of my life. He is the only president I haven't seen between Carter and Trump, because I was simply too occupied and depressed during his presidency. Not that it was his fault, of course, but I just kind of tuned out those years and wallowed in self pity.

I think just about everybody would agree that GHWB was an average president. He would probably make nobody's best or worst list. He was a centrist, not big on vision, but just wanted to do the job effectively and with honor. I don't recall him saying a bad word about anybody in the other party, contrary to current POTUS. On the other hand, he will be remembered for almost nothing. Kids 25 years from now will skip right from Reagan to Clinton when naming the presidents. They probably do that now. This probably would not have bothered GHWB, but perhaps pleased him. No news is good news, as I always say.

RIP.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
November 30th, 2018 at 10:25:09 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Wizard
Just heard about 15 minutes ago.

Poor CNN/MS, they're stuck covering the
passing of a Repub president for the
next week and have to take a break
from trashing Trump 24/7. Awwwwww...
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 1st, 2018 at 4:52:09 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
I’m actually surprised how long he held on after Barbara’s passing. I thought they’d go back to back, as elderly couples often do.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
December 1st, 2018 at 5:08:31 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
On the other hand, he will be remembered for almost nothing.

RIP.

He should always be remembered for winning the Gulf War. People forget how historical that was. All the talking heads said Saddam could not be beaten, that Iraq was the 4th strongest army in the world, invasion would be a bloodbath, and that we had no interest there, Kuwait was not an ally, and to just let it go.

It was a crazy six months from invasion of Kuwait to defeat for Saddam. In hindsight the big error was not toppling Saddam as part of the invasion. Bush was too worried about world reaction when he had the world virtually all of it behind him.

Had the election been held in 1991 nobody would have beaten him. It might have been a 49 state wipe-out for Clinton.
The President is a fink.
December 1st, 2018 at 6:47:32 AM permalink
ChesterDog
Threads: 0
Quote: AZDuffman
...In hindsight the big error was not toppling Saddam as part of the invasion...

At the time I was disappointed that he didn't topple Saddam, but in hindsight I think it was a good move not to. When George W. Bush did get rid of Saddam, the US had to try to rebuild an Iraq government.
December 1st, 2018 at 6:56:02 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
It was a crazy six months from invasion of Kuwait to defeat for Saddam. In hindsight the big error was not toppling Saddam as part of the invasion. Bush was too worried about world reaction when he had the world virtually all of it behind him.

In hindsight, he was right. Look at the quagmire his son started there, that remains a mess to this day.
December 1st, 2018 at 7:27:30 AM permalink
AZDuffman
In hindsight, he was right. Look at the quagmire his son started there, that remains a mess to this day.

Quote: ChesterDog
At the time I was disappointed that he didn't topple Saddam, but in hindsight I think it was a good move not to. When George W. Bush did get rid of Saddam, the US had to try to rebuild an Iraq government.

We will never know for sure. You are talking 12 years difference. We had way more world support in 1991. The Iraqis had not suffered for 12 years with blame being put on the USA.

IMHO the "quagmire" happened because 43 thought we could do it on the cheap and fast. I knew from the start that it would take a 20 year occupation to out to put the place right. But too many wanted a repeat where we were in and out in a year.

Of course, a quagmire is better than a dictator who attacked 4 nearby countries without provocation at various times.
The President is a fink.
December 1st, 2018 at 7:41:56 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Of course, a quagmire is better than a dictator who attacked 4 nearby countries without provocation at various times.

We would have to take every situation on a case by case basis, but in general I think a dictator is better than war. Syria is a good example.

I admit I supported the second Gulf War at the time, but I too believed we would be in and out quickly.
December 1st, 2018 at 8:34:19 AM permalink
AZDuffman
We would have to take every situation on a case by case basis, but in general I think a dictator is better than war. Syria is a good example.

True in many cases. Just have to be sure the dictator is strong but not a threat. Dirty little secret is that we do not want peace in the middle east. We want a balance of powers, none with hegemony. Same as we want in every part of the world.

Second dirty little secret is that Saddam invading Iran was the best thing for the USA since Operation Barbarossa. That being the best yet another dirty secret. He made the mistake of becoming a problem not an asset.
The President is a fink.