4 votes (44.44%)
5 votes (55.55%)
No votes (0%)

9 members have voted

June 17th, 2018 at 9:15:55 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: AZDuffman
It was in one of those chain emails 20 years ago. In a movie, 5 guys attack one guy, but they do it *one at a time* so he can fight them off one by one. IRL, a group of guys would attack another all at once, and it would be over in seconds.

I think “Jack Reacher” had it right when facing five guys, the first two will come in full steam, but if you put a hurt on them, the others lose heart and can be managed.
Another thing to keep in mind is that there isn’t room for a third person to attack you without getting in the way of the other two, so more isn’t always better in a fist fight.
June 17th, 2018 at 9:40:06 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Here are 12 reviews of Ocean's 8 by female writers (mostly negative)

Emily Yoshida Top Critic New York Magazine/Vulture June 5, 2018
I left Ocean's 8 more convinced than ever that no amount of fierce, fantastic female ensembles can overcome the mediocrity of a dull male director.

Katie Walsh Top Critic Tribune News Service June 8, 2018
Gender-swapped reboots can and should work, but not when they're as underwritten and slapdash as the disappointing "Ocean's 8."

Jia Tolentino Top Critic New Yorker June 12, 2018
Ocean's 8, directed by Gary Ross, is hypercompetent and artless...Nothing in this movie is trying to be interesting, but everything in it gets the job done.

Joanna Langfield The Movie Minute June 6, 2018
This jewel heist caper chapter is much more paste than polish.

Haley Mlotek The Ringer June 7, 2018
This clunky sincerity is a poor substitute for chemistry...Ocean's 8 is missing the most crucial character for both a heist and a fashion film: a villain. In a story like this, there's no substitute for a fair fight.

Anwen Crawford The Monthly (Australia) June 8, 2018
The script is woeful: eight leading parts and not a single memorable character; every actor squandered.

Mabel Salinas Cine Premiere June 11, 2018
There's constant variables in this film that entertain, but leave you with the sensation that it was done better before.

Meg Downey CBR June 11, 2018
Hopefully Debbie and Lou's team will get another chance down the line. After all, "9" and "10" are still free for titles so there's certainly room.

Sarah Ward Concrete Playground June 12, 2018
Working through the nuts and bolts of any heist might be one of the thrills of the genre, but without a sense of drama as well, Ocean's 8 is a barely passable knockoff.

Martha K. Baker KDHX (St. Louis) June 13, 2018
The script is leaden.

Rain Jokinen MullingMovies.com June 13, 2018
Ocean's 8 is as good as the first Ocean's film, and better than its previous sequels.

Deborah Ross The Spectator June 13, 2018
Ocean's 8 is the all-female spin-off of the all-male Ocean's trilogy and it's a sop, with a third act that drags like nothing on earth.
December 19th, 2018 at 7:36:10 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
I'm watching an interview with Sandra Bullock on Live with Kelly and Ryan and dear god she is ruining her face with plastic surgery. Looks so fake. Her top lip is horrifying.

I noticed it when I saw Oceans 8 this summer, but it's gotten even worse since then. It's kind of sad.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
December 19th, 2018 at 10:45:25 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: ams288
but it's gotten even worse since then. It's kind of sad.

She's 54, her exp date passed about 6
years ago. She's done..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 26th, 2018 at 7:16:24 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
real movie or chick flic??????
you mean only men go to real movies?
60 per cent of audiences are usually female.
December 27th, 2018 at 8:44:56 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Fleastiff
60 per cent of audiences are usually female.

The MPAA reports that just over half the tickets are sold to women. Most blockbusters have majority share tickets sold to men. Of the five biggest films in 2017 (Beauty and Beast 64%, and Wonder Woman 52%). Star Wars, Guardians of Galaxy #2, and Spiderman Homecoming sold 41%-44% to women. Most of the films with majority women attendees are not the blockbusters.

24% of the population of USA and Canada did not go to a movie in 2017
11% of the population of USA and Canada rarely went to a movie in 2017 and bought 2% of the tickets
53% of the population of USA and Canada went to a movie on occasion in 2017 and bought 49% of the tickets
12% of the population of USA and Canada went to a movie at least once a month in 2017 and bought 49% of the tickets

Black and non-Latino-white people buy fewer tickets than their percentage of the general population
Latinos and Asians buy roughly 30%-35% more tickets than their percentage of the general population
December 27th, 2018 at 11:23:07 AM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Quote: AZDuffman
*EXCERPT* Let women act like women.

But but but - everyone is exactly the same - nobody is better at anything than anyone else - merit has no place in society - if I feel like a pilot, then American or Delta MUST hire me or they are discriminating against me
December 27th, 2018 at 11:28:17 AM permalink
aceofspades
Quote: Evenbob
*EXCERPT*In training, you are always paired off
with a person your size. Just like
you never see a bantam boxer fight
a heavyweight.

Reminds me of overhearing two guys (early 20's) talking in the gym on the treadmills back when Mayweather v. McGregor was being hyped up - one guy tells the other that Mayweather is past his prime but will still win - the other guy responds, apropos of nothing, "Yeah if Mayweather and Tyson were both in their primes at the same time, I got my money on Mayweather - he is way to fast and an amazing defensive fighter"

I immediately ended my time on the treadmill and moved to another part of the gym.
January 20th, 2019 at 2:05:13 AM permalink
Pacomartin

I would have to call it one of the most commercial films I have ever seen. It was like watching a talk show. All women empowerment and bling and dresses.
January 20th, 2019 at 6:04:26 AM permalink
aceofspades
Quote: Pacomartin

I would have to call it one of the most commercial films I have ever seen. It was like watching a talk show. All women empowerment and bling and dresses.

Dresses were created by the patriarchy to suppress women!!!!!!!
Page 6 of 7« First<34567>