expect coldest Jan. 1 since 1963

Page 1 of 111234>Last »
December 27th, 2017 at 1:21:03 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Member since: Oct 28, 2012
Threads: 90
Posts: 2243
the prediction from the Capital Weather Gang, see link; that would be for the east coast at least

the climate change folks hate it if we mock their views when we get especially cold weather, but I can't help but note that they crow about it when there is the opposite thing going on

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2017/12/26/pm-update-even-colder-tonight-through-tomorrow-and-maybe-some-morning-snowflakes/?utm_term=.f7bb1c2808ad
Mustard:You like Kipling, Miss Scarlet? Sure, I'll eat anything [from movie]
December 27th, 2017 at 6:54:24 AM permalink
ChesterDog
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 0
Posts: 32
Quote: odiousgambit
the prediction from the Capital Weather Gang, see link; that would be for the east coast at least

the climate change folks hate it if we mock their views when we get especially cold weather, but I can't help but note that they crow about it when there is the opposite thing going on

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2017/12/26/pm-update-even-colder-tonight-through-tomorrow-and-maybe-some-morning-snowflakes/?utm_term=.f7bb1c2808ad


This suggests the idea for a nice bet--will the average temperature in New York City in 2018 be above or below the NYC's historical average temperature?

We can post a day-by-day tally.

By the way, the human-caused-climate-change deniers will take an early lead starting next week.
December 27th, 2017 at 6:57:59 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 108
Posts: 8077
Quote: ChesterDog
This suggests the idea for a nice bet--will the average temperature in New York City in 2018 be above or below the NYC's historical average temperature?


The problem starts in that you have no static place that the temp has been taken for the long term. Any city will have a different temp than the nearby airport.
The man who damns money has obtained it dishonorably; the man who respects it has earned it
December 27th, 2017 at 7:12:10 AM permalink
ChesterDog
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 0
Posts: 32
Quote: AZDuffman
The problem starts in that you have no static place that the temp has been taken for the long term. Any city will have a different temp than the nearby airport.


Yes.

The temperature in Central Park would be a good historical standard. Here's a link: http://www.weather.gov/okx/centralparkhistorical.
December 27th, 2017 at 10:35:09 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Member since: Feb 19, 2014
Threads: 7
Posts: 485
Here in balmy Buffalo we are not supposed to hit 20 F for the next 8 days, with 2 of the days having a high under 10 F. Luckily for me the day of the outdoor hockey game will be one of the warmer ones at 18 F.......
December 27th, 2017 at 10:57:00 AM permalink
DRich
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 22
Posts: 941
Quote: SOOPOO
Here in balmy Buffalo we are not supposed to hit 20 F for the next 8 days, with 2 of the days having a high under 10 F. Luckily for me the day of the outdoor hockey game will be one of the warmer ones at 18 F.......


My father-in-law lives in northern Montana and the last five days have not been above 0 degrees and the next 5 days are also going to be highs below 0.
December 27th, 2017 at 11:33:09 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Member since: Oct 28, 2012
Threads: 90
Posts: 2243
Quote: ChesterDog
This suggests the idea for a nice bet


I don't think I could forgive myself for betting on the weather. And I think most of the "deniers" concede the climate is changing, but dispute how much of it is caused by man. So it might be slightly +ev to bet on increase in any given future year, and it might be -ev to bet so on a year starting out like 2018 - don't know.

I never underestimate the potential of man's impact, just the stone-age variety on megafauna is awesome enough. I see a lot of BS being presented on both sides, things like claiming skepticism doesn't belong in Science when it is practically the foundation of it.
Mustard:You like Kipling, Miss Scarlet? Sure, I'll eat anything [from movie]
December 27th, 2017 at 12:01:28 PM permalink
Evenbob
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 118
Posts: 14599
In W MI it's 3 above zero right now at 3pm.
I hate it when it's this cold. Got the oil heater
in my office cranked up to full.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 27th, 2017 at 12:19:08 PM permalink
petroglyph
Member since: Aug 3, 2014
Threads: 18
Posts: 2933
It's 71 here at 1:15, predicting Phoenix might be 80 on Friday.
Everyone gets thrown from the plane to maintain altitude
December 27th, 2017 at 1:36:48 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 108
Posts: 8077
Quote: Evenbob
In W MI it's 3 above zero right now at 3pm.
I hate it when it's this cold. Got the oil heater
in my office cranked up to full.


Is Algore speaking at a GW rally there this week?
The man who damns money has obtained it dishonorably; the man who respects it has earned it
Page 1 of 111234>Last »