expect coldest Jan. 1 since 1963

December 29th, 2017 at 2:22:59 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Member since: Sep 3, 2013
Threads: 5
Posts: 1465
Quote: DRich
I guess it is just a type of introspection. I am just trying to understand why other people do care while I don't.


It's along the lines of some recent tshirts.

This.is the only.planet we have.

500,000 people in Indonesia are in imminent danger of losing their homes in the next decade if the seas rise as predicted, due to global warming.

And we are just stewards, not owners, of this planet. We need to tend it carefully and leave it in better shape for our children than it is now. Or humans, and likely most other species, are doomed.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
December 29th, 2017 at 2:32:41 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 110
Posts: 8654
Quote: beachbumbabs
It's along the lines of some recent tshirts.

This.is the only.planet we have.

500,000 people in Indonesia are in imminent danger of losing their homes in the next decade if the seas rise as predicted, due to global warming.

And we are just stewards, not owners, of this planet. We need to tend it carefully and leave it in better shape for our children than it is now. Or humans, and likely most other species, are doomed.


Temperatures and sea levels have always been changing. The world has always been changing. India is sliding under Asia and one day will slide right under it.

Seeing as the sea level rise has not followed predictions so far I would say they have little to worry about and will have plenty of time to move if it ever does in fact rise.
The man who damns money has obtained it dishonorably; the man who respects it has earned it
December 29th, 2017 at 2:37:02 PM permalink
OnceDear
Member since: Nov 21, 2017
Threads: 6
Posts: 785
Quote: Evenbob
As we used to say, it's as cold as
a witches tit here. Still don't know
what that means. Got an email from
my buddy in Des Moines, he says
it's COLDER than a witches tit there.
Holy crap.

In the UK, it is 'Flat as a witches tit' and refers to a beer that has lost it's sparkle and head. Can also refer to a flat battery or a party that lost its atmoshere.
December 29th, 2017 at 2:37:27 PM permalink
JimRockford
Member since: Sep 18, 2015
Threads: 2
Posts: 426
I lived in the mountains of New Mexico and I've experienced subzero temperatures, but I've never experienced a winter that didn't warm up for a while between cold spells. A question for you folks accustomed to permafrost and engine block heaters and the like: The paint and caulking products that I buy say not to apply below 40F or 50F. So up there in the tundra does all outdoor painting stop from December through March or do they sell different products there? Do house painters take up snow removal for half the year?
Where is Joseph Mifsud?
December 29th, 2017 at 3:18:59 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 110
Posts: 8654
Quote: JimRockford
I lived in the mountains of New Mexico and I've experienced subzero temperatures, but I've never experienced a winter that didn't warm up for a while between cold spells. A question for you folks accustomed to permafrost and engine block heaters and the like: The paint and caulking products that I buy say not to apply below 40F or 50F. So up there in the tundra does all outdoor painting stop from December through March or do they sell different products there? Do house painters take up snow removal for half the year?


Basically that kind of work stops outdoors. There are some warmer days, but for example I am getting my place painted this year and will wait until it is warm to get a quality job.

All kinds of jobs shift, and I think few people paint outdoors only in the era of vinyl siding. They do other odd stuff from what I have seen.
The man who damns money has obtained it dishonorably; the man who respects it has earned it
December 29th, 2017 at 3:23:13 PM permalink
kenarman
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 7
Posts: 1318
Quote: JimRockford
I lived in the mountains of New Mexico and I've experienced subzero temperatures, but I've never experienced a winter that didn't warm up for a while between cold spells. A question for you folks accustomed to permafrost and engine block heaters and the like: The paint and caulking products that I buy say not to apply below 40F or 50F. So up there in the tundra does all outdoor painting stop from December through March or do they sell different products there? Do house painters take up snow removal for half the year?


No outside painting for half the year. Construction is somewhat seasonal. No houses started after mid fall until the frost is out of the ground in late March.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
December 30th, 2017 at 5:03:03 AM permalink
JB
Administrator
Member since: Oct 23, 2012
Threads: 10
Posts: 110
Looks like another scorcher today. It's only 8AM and the temperature has already climbed to a sweltering -15°.
December 30th, 2017 at 12:45:07 PM permalink
petroglyph
Member since: Aug 3, 2014
Threads: 18
Posts: 3198
1;45 pm and 72*, flat calm with a whispy cirrus cloud to the North
Everyone gets thrown from the plane to maintain altitude
December 30th, 2017 at 1:31:40 PM permalink
JB
Administrator
Member since: Oct 23, 2012
Threads: 10
Posts: 110
Quote: petroglyph
1;45 pm and 72*, flat calm with a whispy cirrus cloud to the North

How can you stand such intense heat?

Our temperature soared to a scalding +6° throughout the day, but the overnight will be a more comfortable -11° and Monday will finally bring some relief as things cool off to -21°.

This global warming is really getting out of hand, I wish someone would have warned us about it.
December 30th, 2017 at 1:49:04 PM permalink
petroglyph
Member since: Aug 3, 2014
Threads: 18
Posts: 3198
Quote: JB
How can you stand such intense heat?
It took me years to acclimate. When we first got hear from Ak., I would lay on the floor and pant like a dog when the temp hit 85 outside. I can do a hundred in the shade fairly comfortably now.

I've worked outdoors many many days at between -10 and 20 above. Actually pretty comfy once the moisture freezes out of the air. I have been really cold at 38 and blowing rain before. Cold you can't shake off.

Kids in Fairbanks play outside in tshirts and shorts at zero. It's hard for parents to be able to get them to wear a coat.

I don't mind the cold, but I don't want to be cold. Big diff. My friend and I drove almost strait through from Dana Point Ca, to Anchorage, taking turns at the wheel and sleeping in the reclining shotgun seat. Stepped out of the truck in my tshirt to Pee, up in the Yukon. Almost didn't make it back to the truck.
Everyone gets thrown from the plane to maintain altitude