expect coldest Jan. 1 since 1963

Page 8 of 11« First<567891011>
January 1st, 2018 at 7:35:09 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
It is supposed to be in the high 60's all week in Vegas which I find tolerable but the nights are down in the 40's which I hate. I am starting to look for a place to move that is warmer. I really wish I could find a Caribbean island without hurricanes.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
January 1st, 2018 at 8:25:48 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: DRich
It is supposed to be in the high 60's all week in Vegas which I find tolerable but the nights are down in the 40's which I hate. I am starting to look for a place to move that is warmer. I really wish I could find a Caribbean island without hurricanes.

Have you considered the southern hemisphere for our winter? Arizona or Florida will do for me......
January 1st, 2018 at 8:30:13 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
My dog just pulled the blanket off the chair and is cuddled up in it. Currently -3* at noon. The Bills made the playoffs. These are the end times.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
January 1st, 2018 at 8:34:00 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: SOOPOO
Have you considered the southern hemisphere for our winter? Arizona or Florida will do for me......

Rwanda doesn't have hurricanes and is warm.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
January 1st, 2018 at 8:56:43 AM permalink
Face
Have any of y'all paid attention to Li batteries when it gets like this? I know to pull all lead/acid batts out of toys and mowers, cuz those die (killed, not go flat) with almost 100% guarantee. I dunno about Li packs, though, and I don't want to lose all my tools.
January 1st, 2018 at 9:23:01 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Face
Have any of y'all paid attention to Li batteries when it gets like this? I know to pull all lead/acid batts out of toys and mowers, cuz those die (killed, not go flat) with almost 100% guarantee. I dunno about Li packs, though, and I don't want to lose all my tools.

My understanding is that the cold does not generally affect the Li battery unless you are charging it. You should never charge a cold Li battery because it weakens the interior structure and the battery can become a hazard.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
January 1st, 2018 at 9:38:52 AM permalink
Face
Quote: DRich
My understanding is that the cold does not generally affect the Li battery unless you are charging it. You should never charge a cold Li battery because it weakens the interior structure and the battery can become a hazard.

S#$%. I mean, what about ones that are just on the charger in maintenance mode? They're full, but they're still plugged in.

To give an idea of just how cold it is... I've bags of returnables at the bottom of my stairs to the basement. When I have a smoke or call in the dog, my door is open 20-30 seconds. When I close it, it's snap-crackle-pop downstairs as I can hear all the sealed water bottles sucking in and compressing into themselves from the freeze rushing down onto them.
January 1st, 2018 at 10:25:10 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: Face

My tools are on my van all the time Face. Never had a battery problem because of the cold. It has been about -20C here for a couple of weeks.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
January 1st, 2018 at 10:32:05 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
According to climate change/GW loon
James Hansen, who testified in congress
30 years ago, NYC would be under water
on NYE 2018 and the world would be
a totally different place.

What's hilarious is, people still listen to
this lunatic even though he's been 100%
wrong on everything. When Rush Limbaugh
started his show the same year Hansen
made all these predictions, he said Hansen
was nuts and gee, who turned out to be
right.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 2nd, 2018 at 8:27:34 AM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Quote: Evenbob
According to climate change/GW loon
James Hansen, who testified in congress
30 years ago, NYC would be under water
on NYE 2018 and the world would be
a totally different place.

What's hilarious is, people still listen to
this lunatic even though he's been 100%
wrong on everything. When Rush Limbaugh
started his show the same year Hansen
made all these predictions, he said Hansen
was nuts and gee, who turned out to be
right.

Your source is incorrect. James Hansen's complete testimony from the 1988 hearing can be found here.
https://climatechange.procon.org/sourcefiles/1988_Hansen_Senate_Testimony.pdf

The NYC flooding story appears to come from an off hand comment he made to a reporter who asked him about the hypothetical situation of 40 years in the future (from 1988) and CO2 consentration double the 1988 value. Neither condition has occurred. Partisanship makes honest debate on climate change nearly impossible. I'm not sure who your source is (I suspect it rhymes with fright fart), but they are clearly not interested in the truth.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
Page 8 of 11« First<567891011>