expect coldest Jan. 1 since 1963

Page 9 of 11« First<67891011>
January 2nd, 2018 at 9:23:15 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: DRich
It is supposed to be in the high 60's all week in Vegas which I find tolerable but the nights are down in the 40's which I hate. I am starting to look for a place to move that is warmer. I really wish I could find a Caribbean island without hurricanes.

Panama and Costa Rica are too far south to get Hurricanes. They are becoming more popular as many of the Caribbean islands are getting storm ravaged.

No place is completely immune. Hurricane Irene hit Nicaragua in 1971. Hurricane Otto in 2016 is the southernmost hurricane landfall in over half a century. But Panama is your safest bet.

Panama city is starting to look like Manhattan, complete with a Trump property.
January 2nd, 2018 at 11:51:58 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: JimRockford
Partisanship makes honest debate on climate change nearly impossible. I'm not sure who your source is (I suspect it rhymes with fright fart), but they are clearly not interested in the truth.

His source was his rear end, as it usually is.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
January 2nd, 2018 at 12:29:30 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Quote: ams288
His source was his rear end, as it usually is.

He has been quoting London's Daily Mail recently, which is a National Enquirer-style tabloid.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
January 2nd, 2018 at 10:51:03 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Your source is incorrect. James Hansen's complete testimony from the 1988 hearing can be found here.
https://climatechange.procon.org/sourcefiles/1988_Hansen_Senate_Testimony.pdf

The NYC flooding story appears to come from an off hand comment he made to a reporter who asked him about the hypothetical situation of 40 years in the future (from 1988) and CO2 consentration double the 1988 value. Neither condition has occurred. Partisanship makes honest debate on climate change nearly impossible. I'm not sure who your source is (I suspect it rhymes with fright fart), but they are clearly not interested in the truth.

Really well said, except the fright fart comment, which was stupendous! Still laughing. So appropriate. Gaseous words from fear-mongering weakness.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
January 3rd, 2018 at 3:31:27 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 153
Latest forecast is for a 'bomb cyclone' to hit next for the east coast, cold will be even worse

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/?utm_term=.ec28353a2f7a
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
January 3rd, 2018 at 5:18:58 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Your source is incorrect. James Hansen's complete testimony from the 1988 hearing can be found here.
https://climatechange.procon.org/sourcefiles/1988_Hansen_Senate_Testimony.pdf

The NYC flooding story appears to come from an off hand comment he made to a reporter who asked him about the hypothetical situation of 40 years in the future (from 1988) and CO2 consentration double the 1988 value. Neither condition has occurred. Partisanship makes honest debate on climate change nearly impossible. I'm not sure who your source is (I suspect it rhymes with fright fart), but they are clearly not interested in the truth.

Thanks for setting the record straight :-)
fright fart, ROTFL
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 3rd, 2018 at 6:23:29 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 153
January 3rd, 2018 at 7:47:25 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
One neat thing about the cold is watching the smokers leave for their fix, knowing I can stay warm here as long as I skip running three blocks for coffee. Trying to cut back how much I spend there same as every new year anyhow.
The President is a fink.
January 3rd, 2018 at 11:25:57 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: AZDuffman
One neat thing about the cold is watching the smokers leave for their fix, knowing I can stay warm here as long as I skip running three blocks for coffee. Trying to cut back how much I spend there same as every new year anyhow.

Never took up the coffee habit,
it's as bad as smoking. My wife
drives me nuts with it when we
eat out. That stupid cup has to
be constantly topped off and
a never ending supply of cream
has to come at all times. I drink
water, that's it. And oh my god,
if she can't get the attention of
the waitress for the refill, all hell
breaks loose.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 4th, 2018 at 1:55:18 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
This is getting fricking ridiculous.
I have the front door sealed off
with Great Stuff this year and
it really is great stuff.

So to put in a new suet cake, I
have to walk around the house
to the front yard thru 2' deep
snow, at 5 above zero. By the time
I got back inside, my fingers were
screaming at me from the cold,
even with gloves on. I'm really
sick of this cold.

I know, it's warm in FL and AZ,
nobody gives a shit.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
Page 9 of 11« First<67891011>