Assist animals

December 30th, 2017 at 6:07:03 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Should government go after people for abusing the law, that allows disabled people to use dogs, to assist them with their needs?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2017/10/29/several-states-crack-down-fake-service-animals/807676001/
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
December 30th, 2017 at 8:27:54 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
There are no state or fed certification registries,
so anybody can say their dog is a service dog.
You can even train them yourself, there are
no official state of fed trainers. It's the wild
west where this is concerned and it won't be
easily fixed.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 30th, 2017 at 10:30:51 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: petroglyph
Should government go after people for abusing the law, that allows disabled people to use dogs, to assist them with their needs?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2017/10/29/several-states-crack-down-fake-service-animals/807676001/

I don't really mind, as I like dogs, and have no allergies to them, but I know it upsets people who don't and they should have a right to expect agreements of establishments to be upheld or local ordinances.

It will probably be addressed by lawsuits someday. Perfect example from your story.

Quote:
Chris Slavin was in an elevator a couple years ago with Earle, her yellow lab service dog, sitting calmly beside her wheelchair. The elevator doors opened and in walked a woman holding a purse. In the purse was a teacup poodle the color of apricots.

The doors closed just as the poodle spotted Earle. That’s when the trouble started. In an instant, the poodle leaped from the purse, flung himself at Earle, and clamped his teeth into the bigger dog’s snout, leaving Earle bleeding onto the elevator floor.

“As soon as this occurred the woman said the poodle was a service dog,” said Slavin, who has a severe spinal injury that requires use of the wheelchair. “She then said he wasn’t a service dog but an emotional support dog. Finally, she admitted he was a pet she just wanted to bring in the building with her.”
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 30th, 2017 at 11:44:59 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
I like dogs. Well mannered better yet. Here in the heat most stores let people bring them in the store, it's illegal to leave your pet inside cars here because they get so hot.

What I don't appreciate is people faking their pets as being handicap service dogs so they can take them anywhere, and its disconcerting to have little yappers riding inside food carts, sitting on their sphincters, when the next unsuspecting person sets their food in the cart.

The problem is the people, not the dogs. Unless it is an aggressive breed such as pit or pit cross.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
December 31st, 2017 at 4:21:48 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rxwine
I don't really mind, as I like dogs, and have no allergies to them, but I know it upsets people who don't and they should have a right to expect agreements of establishments to be upheld or local ordinances.

It will probably be addressed by lawsuits someday. Perfect example from your story.

I saw this thing about the woman with the poodle. She is a piece of garbage, and I wish I could be the judge so I could say so from the bench.

I was at a training once about what you had to do to accommodate people with service dogs. The subgroup of the trainees who had a problem with it really stood out. Not scientific, but boy was I surprised.
The President is a fink.