WoVCon ]I[ Updates

Page 3 of 3<123
April 22nd, 2013 at 8:17:38 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
The palce is still a bit up in the air, meanwhile I'm taking a head count:

http://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/off-topic/13767-wovcon-i-atendee-list/#post236779
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
April 30th, 2013 at 7:14:59 AM permalink
Nareed
Time for a bump.

We've settled, or at least I did, on the Sugar Factory at the Paris for lunch at noon. Craps at CR continues to be the clear favorite for gambling afterwards.

And on a related topic, Windows 8 must be destroyed.
April 30th, 2013 at 8:06:58 AM permalink
AcesAndEights
Threads: 6
Quote: Nareed
Time for a bump.

We've settled, or at least I did, on the Sugar Factory at the Paris for lunch at noon. Craps at CR continues to be the clear favorite for gambling afterwards.

Nice work shutting down all the complainers. When you volunteer to organize something like this, it's always "but but but but what about this place" from everyone NOT doing the legwork.
"You think I'm joking." -EvenBob
April 30th, 2013 at 8:11:04 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: AcesAndEights
Nice work shutting down all the complainers. When you volunteer to organize something like this, it's always "but but but but what about this place" from everyone NOT doing the legwork.

On family outings for lunch or dinner, there was usually a 45 minute argument on where to go. once we were in the car and headed that way, my mother would say "How about [some other place]?"

So I'm used to it.
May 6th, 2013 at 6:58:21 AM permalink
Nareed
Bump time (first this month, too):

We're all set for the Sugar Factory at noon on may 25th.

Ok, now the really imortant part: Windows 8 must be destroyed.
May 9th, 2013 at 2:24:09 PM permalink
Nareed
Bump time.

Windows 8 must be destroyed.

Having listened to almost all of "Carthage Must Be Destroyed" and thus learned more about Carthaginian (and Phoenician) history, I've learend something else: this is not a nice thing to say. Rome's destruction of Carthage was so not justified, and it was carried out with savagery unbecoming a great, civilized poer. Granted civilization then was very different, it was too destructive and bloodthirsty even by the standards of the time.

Having said that, I must reiterate: Windows 8 must be destroyed.

I'm not merely clinging to the past (last year!), nor am I averse to change. I am averse to change for the sake of change, in particualr when it is a change for the worse.

Imagine the following: Suppose cars now give one hundred miles to the gallon and cost half of what they used to. But to steer left you need to pull the steering wheel towards you and up. and to steer right you need to push the steering wheel away from you and upwards. To accelerate, you must pull a lever on your left forwards, and to brake you must push the same lever leftwards. Oh, and there are no seats anymore, and the top speed is now 30 miles per hour. And you'd best get used to driving that way, because that's the way it's going to be from now on. And did I mention the controls to shut off the engine are hidden? And the controls for the door locks and windows are under the dashboard? Of course, you could install Classic Car Sheel on top, and have a car with seats, conventional pedals, steeering wheel, windows and locks, and no speed limits; but then you'd be a troglodyte unwilling to elt go of the past and embrace the future.

Thats, IMO, is the kind of change Microsoft is forcing down people's throats with their new OS. Except the improvement isn't as remarkable, and the inconvenience is not as simple to figure out.

So: Windows 8 must be destroyed.
May 17th, 2013 at 6:37:40 AM permalink
Nareed
Last call.

Today is my last day at work before my vacation (finally!) So now I'm going to be too busy away from the computer ;) There's much to do in preparing the trip, you know. At least this year I do have enough clothes to wear. The real treat is leaving the salt mines for three solid weeks. That's what really counts.
May 23rd, 2013 at 6:32:42 AM permalink
rdw4potus
Threads: 10
I've said a few times on WOV that people could look for me to find the group at the Friday WOVcon meetup. I just realized that doesn't work too well. My flight lands at 1:27, so I probably won't be there right at 2. So, if using the look-for-RDW method, wait until about 2:20, and look for the guy rushing in from the parking garage.

And, if anyone needs to call or text me, my phone number is: no longer needed
I'm not wearing any pants, film at 11
Page 3 of 3<123