Anyone find something funny in their DNA test?

Page 3 of 7<123456>Last »
January 8th, 2018 at 8:24:25 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
Idle curiosity

I was thinking some people may find out they're adopted when their DNA profile doesn't match their family's history.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
January 8th, 2018 at 10:53:56 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Nareed
I was thinking some people may find out they're adopted when their DNA profile doesn't match their family's history.

No doubt some family secrets show up on these tests.

What is particularly common is babies born to teenage girls who were adopted by her parents and raised as a younger sibling.
January 8th, 2018 at 11:24:04 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154

What is particularly common is babies born to teenage girls who were adopted by her parents and raised as a younger sibling.

Supposedly Jack Nicholson was unaware of his status - supposed sister was actually his mother - till middle age or so. Actual father's identity never revealed and it went to the grave.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
January 8th, 2018 at 2:03:09 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

The tests are great for going back
one generation. Going back farther
with much accuracy is luck and Ouija
board.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 8th, 2018 at 2:15:59 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346

Without samples from family for comparison, you can't determine relationships.

But if your family is Eastern European, for example, and your profiles indicates like none or little such descent, then you might have been adopted.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
January 8th, 2018 at 5:34:13 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Nareed
But if your family is Eastern European, for example, and your profiles indicates like none or little such descent, then you might have been adopted.

My brother took the test, and his results were pretty much consistent with the known ethnicity of our great grandparents born in the end of the 19th century. Seven out of eight great grandparents was born outside of the USA. Three out of four grandparents was born in the USA and one was born in Spain.

Maternal great grandparents
(1) Arthur Bia. (April 4, 1886), in Paris France
(2) Essie Milliron (1886) in Pennsylvania but of French/German stock back to 1750
(3) Albert Elias (August 15 1878) in Syria near the Lebanese border.
(4) Sadie Salloum (November 26 1888), in Syria near the Lebanese border.

Paternal great grandparents
(1) Lorenzo Martin (1870's ?) Near Salamanca Spain
(2) Amparo Martin (1880s) Near Salamanca Spain
(3) Frank Terdick (1891) Hungary
(4) Susanna Terdik (1896) Hungary

But as great great grandparents are only a nominal 6.25% apiece, a reading of 10% Scandinavian makes one think that there is more than one great great grandparent.

Unless EB is correct, and it is a scam.
January 8th, 2018 at 5:52:39 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Unless EB is correct, and it is a scam.
I wouldn't say 'scam' as much as 'false precision'. A real estate appraiser can not claim precision beyond five or ten grand.

How can anyone be precise about Italian? Italy's borders changed, names were often forcibly changed so how can there be genetic precision between Italy and Albania?

Travel documents and letters of introduction might often be forged.

Wars take place. Males are away for a long time. An army of rapists invade.

"Near the border" are words fatal to precision.
January 8th, 2018 at 6:05:04 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Fleastiff
How can anyone be precise about Italian? Italy's borders changed, names were often forcibly changed so how can there be genetic precision between Italy and Albania?

I understand. Many of the earlier settlers of Pennsylvania, including some of my ancestors, came from the Palatinate region which is now considered Germany, but iwhose inhabitants cannot be distinguished from French.

The Pennsylvania Dutch (Pennsilfaanisch Deitsch, are a cultural group formed by early German-speaking immigrants to Pennsylvania and their descendants. The word "Dutch" does not refer to the Dutch people or Dutch language, but to the German settlers, known as Deutsch (in standard German) and Deitsch (in the principal dialect they spoke, Palatine German). Most emigrated to the U.S. from Germany or Switzerland in the 17th and 18th century. Over time, the various dialects spoken by these immigrants fused into a unique dialect of German known as Pennsylvania German or Pennsylvania "Dutch". At one time, more than one-third of Pennsylvania's population spoke this language.

But Scandinavian is quite distinct ethnically from French/German.
January 8th, 2018 at 6:50:51 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Fleastiff
I wouldn't say 'scam' as much as 'false precision'.

Yes. Like astrology, they use a lot of
guessing and generalizations. It's
just not an exact science at all, the
purpose of it is to get you to pay
real money for the geneology
services. People's egos love this
kind of stuff. I remember in the
70's my mothers 2nd husband paid
a couple thousand for research into
his geneology and most of it was just
ego stroking BS to try and get even
more money out of him. He lapped
it all up like starving dog, it was really
a sight to see.

Family crests appeared, famous people
hanging out in his tree, relations to
royalty in Italy and Austria. Coats of
arms, possible royal titles. All a scam of
course, none of it was provable. He was
a dolt who my mom eventually divorced.
Don the Duke, I called him. Don the Douche..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 8th, 2018 at 6:55:16 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Seems likely competition may have helped instigate over promising. After all if another company starts taking away business by offering more results, people will likely gravitate towards that. Unfortunately.

Perhaps one of them should have advertised on integrity instead.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
Page 3 of 7<123456>Last »