Anyone find something funny in their DNA test?

Page 6 of 7« First<34567>
June 29th, 2019 at 9:52:29 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: aceofspades

Exactly. Just wait until they start selling genetic markers to the health care industry.

Has no one learned anything from Facebook?
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
June 29th, 2019 at 11:05:46 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
The whole DNA thing is a scam.
They get a main hit on your
ancestry and make the rest up.
Who will argue with them.

This has been going on long
before DNA. You pay some
researcher to uncover your
past and lo and behold, for
your $300 you have minor
royalty in your family! Boy
are you happy..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 30th, 2019 at 5:18:14 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
No one I know who has taken one has gotten their money's worth if they are supposed to tell you about your exciting ancestry.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 30th, 2019 at 11:05:58 AM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: rxwine
No one I know who has taken one has gotten their money's worth if they are supposed to tell you about your exciting ancestry.

The old way of doing it before DNA
was, they would tell you who you
were supposedly related to. It was
always some cousin of a viscount
in France or Germany in the 18th
century, who were you to argue.
You were delighted to have royalty
in the fam..

I've never cared about that crap,
what makes up my heritage is of
no interest to me.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 30th, 2019 at 11:50:25 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: beachbumbabs
denying coverage due to "pre-existing" conditions based on genetic tendencies towards say, Alzheimers . . . .
Alzheimers is caused by periodontal disease, not genetics.

What are Kiwi genes???? The USA ambassador to New Zealand would routinely pardon all pirates who landed in New Zealand so it became a goal for men of all seafaring nations to land in New Zealand and claim they had signed Articles of Piracy under duress of circumstance.

Open up a history text and you can see why people from Ethiopia and Somalia have such very high percentages of Norwegian genes.

I was once in a sleep chat room and a new visitor described her "full plate load" of diseases. I asked only if she was of Norwegian heritage and upon learning that her father was from Norway, I told her she had only ONE disease, a very rare one. This astounded the visitor, the fellow members of the chat room and I later learned it astounded the woman's physician. Can you imagine what an insurance company's underwriters would have done in that situation?

Most chronic diseases involve an environmental insult and also a genetic susceptibility.
June 30th, 2019 at 12:23:51 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Fleastiff
Alzheimers is caused by periodontal disease, not genetics.

"Mother's genes appear to pass on tendency for the disease to children. ... Previous studies have found that people who have a close relative — mother, father, brother, sister — with the disease are four to 10 times more likely to develop Alzheimer's compared with those who have no direct family history."
June 30th, 2019 at 12:40:17 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
I think it's probably a combination of both, just like some people are more susceptible to the bad effects of cigarette smoking, though smoking is the primary cause of cancer and other pulmonary disease, genetics also plays a factor.

edit oh, see fleastiff said that in his last line
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 30th, 2019 at 12:46:19 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Evenbob
"Mother's genes appear to pass on tendency for the disease to children. ... Previous studies have found that people who have a close relative — mother, father, brother, sister — with the disease are four to 10 times more likely to develop Alzheimer's compared with those who have no direct family history."
Genetic association does not establish genetic causation. Family members often develop the same dietary and oral hygiene habits,
June 30th, 2019 at 1:15:15 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Fleastiff
Genetic association does not establish genetic causation.

90% of people over 65 don't have
any form of Alzheimers. If it's not
in your family, bad teeth aren't
going to do it, or every old person
in England would have Alzheimers.
Their teeth are awful.
June 30th, 2019 at 2:13:02 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Evenbob
90% of people over 65 don't have
any form of Alzheimers. If it's not
in your family, bad teeth aren't
going to do it, or every old person
in England would have Alzheimers.
Their teeth are awful.
Man, I needed to hear that.

Radiation is horrid on teeth.